Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good bye

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ioniq5 was one of my top choice heading into EV owning experience. Also next was the MachE due to price slashes.
Not sure about Ireland, here in Canada, Hyundai seems to punish its customers for going with anything less than the Ultimate variant. That one comes with AWD, Sunroof, power liftgate, pleather etc. At that price it is almost the same as a Model 3 Performance.
If you are used to the large 15" screen, you will find the horizontal layout cramped. Note that only half of that wide screen is used for infotainment. The section faces you are not as configurable. And like most current legacy EVs, proprietary UI aren't up to Tesla level unfortunately. Therefore you must use AAAC. Good thing is the response is decent unlike MachE's. That said, the screen size is much smaller in AAAC. So your experience with Google maps + other apps will feel more cramped.

Ioniq5 is a comfortable cruiser. Absorbs undulation well. HUD (Ultimate variant) is nice but kinda distracting for me. But damn, the exterior design is super cool. Well enjoy it. It is different than Tesla and it's alright!

Reactions: FastLaneJB
They won't be putting another ICE on the road with an LC500 as it is no longer sold here in the UK - it will be an existing car with a different driver ;)
Correct.....they make a very attractive second hand purchase - ~£65k for a low mileage car.

If I go ZL1, it'd be a new car.

@KerrySkates - yes, I was already thoroughly disillusioned with my treatment by Tesla when they deleted USS (I'll not re-hash that story again here) and it now seems clear that they treat their employees with a similar level of contempt.

Not a company I wish to be associated with nor fund.

Last edited:
Correct.....they make a very attractive second hand purchase - ~£65k for a low mileage car.

If I go ZL1, it'd be a new car.

@KerrySkates - yes, I was already thoroughly disillusioned with my treatment by Tesla when they deleted USS (I'll not re-hash that story again here) and it now seems clear that they treat their employees with a similar level of contempt.

Not a company I wish to be associated with nor fund.

Yeah much better paying subscription for heated seats or annual software updates.

Don't mistake, not defending Tesla. I just think that ALL car companies are equally scummy.

Yeah much better paying subscription for heated seats or annual software updates.

Don't mistake, not defending Tesla. I just think that ALL car companies are equally scummy.
Frankly, I'm quite content to just buy a car and for it to remain as-is for the period of my ownership.

I'm sure all car companies have their moments, but none appear so overt as Tesla's.

And some do appear to act with reason and compassion - Honda for example, back in 2012-ish needed to downsize, but to minimise employee redundancies they canned their F1 program.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Congrats on the Highland! If you are as I am you'll love it. It's like driving a fine handling limousine, IMO, and the suspension gets a little better within about 200 miles after you get the car (that's my experience so far in my car delivered 3-26. I loved my 2022 M3LR and am liking the new 2024 M3LR even more.

Also I don't fret the supercharger system.It's up and running at some 99% + reliable and will be expanded by robotic manufacture of new ones. Easily maintained by contractors. (wiped off and swept up after. Empty the trash receptacles, etc)

The so-called "Supercharger Team" of engineers did their job with excellence and can now move on the new interesting projects. Tesla engineers are top notch - Elon insists on that. So the people layed off are probably working today wherever they chose unless they're in Barbados or someplace enjoying a well earned rest.
Thanks. It's not quite like a fine handling limousine of course because I've had a BMW M760Li. Not in the same price or category but cars can definitely ride a lot better than a Model 3 if you put the money in but for the price, it's pretty good.

So the charging network is I think more an issue for you in the US where you don't have as much choice and Tesla is about 70% of all chargers is it? There's a lot more choice and Tesla plays a much smaller part of the pie in the UK and Europe but it is the most reliable and easy to use network.

I think it doesn't bode well though Tesla's new stance on this plus the whole EV market and transition is looking a bit shaky these days. Hopefully just a bump in the road but there's a lot of resistance from a large proportion of the population to EV's as a whole. Even though I've got my order in for my Highland, I am having some second thoughts as it'll make us a 2 EV household so considering if a PHEV or just pure ICE might be better after all. I had made my mind up on this but the whole scaling back chargers from the pioneers of EV's suggests even Tesla isn't so sure about it all anymore.

It’s been a blast, literally. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my Tesla adventure over the last 5 years but I have started the countdown to the lease expiry date and I think I’ve made a decision on my next car. My needs have changed with WFH. Superchargers open to all seals the deal. I’ll try to be considerate with stall selection in future.

Tesla Positives
  • Lack of sales people.
  • World leading software and OTA updates (can be a blessing and a curse).
  • Performance (which if I’m honest I don’t ‘need’).
  • Efficiency
  • Fast reliable Superchargers (….open to all).
  • Matrix lights at Calais. Nice touch.

Tesla Negatives
  • Minimalist cabin- Tesla has gone too far with not enough buttons.
  • Over promising FSD dream. Rock solid AP still isn’t there 5 year later. Tesla needs a bridging strategy to bring customers with them to get to real world FSD. The dream is a bit too distant and people are seeing and feeling the reality of 2024.
  • USS
  • Wipers anyone?

My conclusion is that EV is the way to go (for many reasons) and other EV’s are catching up. Range and charging facilities are improving. Next Car: Ionic 5

I’ll not be posting much but might pop in from time to time. Until we meet again, good bye

View attachment 1044988
"Tesla Model 3 (2023), long range, Japan, left-front" by Kazyakuruma is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
I have owned my Model 3 since March of 2020. I love my car, but I have had to put up with a lot of software issues. Before I bought the car I knew I was buying from a new car company, let alone a new car platform. Expectations needed to be tempered. This isn't Lexus with 30 years of experience.

In 4 years I have spent a total of 84.00 in maintenance costs. I have not had to replace my tires yet.

Software issues I have had:
1. Not displaying album artwork for about a year while using USB music drive.
2. There was about a 6 month period where all my speakers, except for the front center, would not work unless I rebooted the car.
3. For at least a year I would get the message, Sentry mode has turned off due to a system error. I would have to turn Sentry mode back on almost every night, from the phone, once the car started charging. I schedule charging at 11:00 pm. What a pain!
4. My most recent problem is that for the last 9 months, after disconnecting the car from the charger and getting in, the computer would crash and reboot. I had taken the car in twice for this and still went unresolved and I am out of Warranty. It hasn't crashed in 10 days, so I think the problem may be resolved.
Tesla never communicated a single word with me about these problems. If they had said, "we have a bug and we are working on it" it would have gone a long way. I do not like how they keep me in the dark.

My patience is wearing thin, but I still recognize we are in the infancy of the EV revolution. Lots of bumpy road ahead. Also, it's unfortunate that the CEO of the company can no longer be trusted with what he says. I used to watch Tesla events but Elon and the other speakers talk way over my head while his cult followers cheer.

I still want Tesla to succeed. Will my next car be a Tesla? TBD.

Reactions: Sturty
Mod Request: random M3 Highland has appeared in the OP? Bizarre. Perhaps this thread has run its course. It was intended to be a courteous exit rather than another thread debating the state of the nation with our stateside cousins.
Is it not quite the compliment that you've turned a humble goodbye Tesla thread into an active discussion on the disenchantment of current Tesla owners?

PS: My good friend works for Hyundai and he thinks you've made a poor call. He wouldn't buy an Ioniq after having to drive the work demo model for a month as part as a famiarisation strategy.

• Informative
Reactions: primedive
A good mate of mine really don’t understand why when someone makes a decision, others feel the need to chime in and make generalised negative comments.

It’s one thing making a comment and suggesting an alternative, but criticising a choice for the sake of making a criticism seems rather pointless and unnecessary.

Especially so when only the OP knows their selection criteria.

One may not agree with their decision, but my mate recons it’s best to keep that to themselves.

Even worse when a friendly goodbye to fellow UK subforum members seem to be hijacked.

A good mate of mine really don’t understand why when someone makes a decision, others feel the need to chime in and make generalised negative comments.

It’s one thing making a comment and suggesting an alternative, but criticising a choice for the sake of making a criticism seems rather pointless and unnecessary.

Especially so when only the OP knows their selection criteria.

One may not agree with their decision, but my mate recons it’s best to keep that to themselves.
This is a forum, for discussion. No one is criticising the OP. Some are questioning the merits of his decision. That's part of the discussion forum's purpose, no?

I included my comment because my good friend Adrian, as an employee of Hyundai, had doubts about its worth at its price point. A valid consideration from someone who is quite pro Hyundai and drives Hyundais himself.

I quite like the Ioniq myself, both models. The 6 reminds me of a weird 80s video game car, while not at all practical for my needs I like the design. I drive a Hyundai as it is today, so I'm clearly not anti-Hyundai either. Not sure your issue. Some here are a bit touchy I feel.

Tell your mate to lighten up a bit.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
I just got my Tesla back from the nearest service center. 136 miles away. Hyundai and Kia service is less than 2 miles.

So a broken window regulator cost me $1050. And 544 miles of drive time to get fixed. I’d easily put up with any short coming if it meant I didn’t have to spend 2 days driving to the service center. At least they gave me loaner. Decent service experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.