Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Charging goes from 48A to 34A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my charger is reducing the rate of charging about half way through a charge. I just got back from a trip with about 5-10% left and plugged it in, i'd say a for a good 2 hours at least it was charging at 48A.. but since then its been at 34A, its at around 232V now too.. i'd say at around 40-50% of the battery charge it did that... Not sure why it would reduce so much, went from like 40mi/hr to 26mi/hr :(

The car monitors the voltage drop. If it gets to be too large, like -10V, the car will reduce the amps to ensure the wiring/circuit breakers/connectors aren't heating up too much. If the grid voltage dropped going into your house the car might mistake that for a potential problem. Restarting the charge session and setting the current back to the maximum would probably get things going again, with a new zero amp voltage measurement.

It is also possible you have a voltage drop caused by a loose connection somewhere between the car and the electrical panel. This would cause extra heat at the problem point. In that case you may be able to check temperatures along your electrical circuits and see if something is heating up.

If you have an eight volt drop at 32 amps due to a loose connection, a fire is imminent. 256 watts is a lot of heat, think 8 soldering irons all heating that spot. Hopefully the drop was something else.

If you have an eight volt drop at 32 amps due to a loose connection, a fire is imminent. 256 watts is a lot of heat, think 8 soldering irons all heating that spot. Hopefully the drop was something else.

I got a Model S at the service center today while they are fixing some of the delivery issues I had. Been charging it for the last 1.5 hours, its been steady around 240V and 48A. I went over to the breaker and felt it, just to see if its getting hot, it was only slightly warm, kind of like how the cord gets slightly warm. I had a company do the install and they do ALOT of tesla wall charger installs in this area, so I am guessing they knew what they were doing from that perspective.. I'll have to try the MY again when I get it back..

Just a quick update, finished charging the Model S.. no issues or reduction in Amps/Volts.. I'll have to try again in the Y when I get it back.. maybe just a fluke, maybe their was a sag in voltage at some point and it just decided to keep it low.. will see over the next few charges.