Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issue with legacy automakers and “software” is that they essentially cobble together various systems, whereas Tesla use a single integrated firmware structure and then also set up the software themselves. To be fair, this is easier to do for an EV than an ICE.

We sell chips directly to Tesla of their own specs. And also to auto module makers who put together the systems for legacy auto companies, where there is e.g., a Bosch chassis control system, a Panasonic infotainment system, and a CATL BMS system.

The Chinese are now also using Tesla’s approach but aren’t there yet.
It's interesting how this all goes. Cars started off in-house, moved to contract suppliers and now trying to bring back in-house. Phones seemed to take the same route with Apple bringing as much as they can back in-house these days and other big companies looking to follow suit where they can.

The nissan leaf was prone to that.. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't a feature of a certain type of regen/braking combination.

Never seen anything similar with a Tesla going over the same bumps.
I had an Ampera some years ago that did the same scary thing when braking over wet drain covers. I assume it was an issue with the antilock getting its knickers in a twist and was heart stopping for a second or so when braking was not there and then came back to save the day!

I had an Ampera some years ago that did the same scary thing when braking over wet drain covers. I assume it was an issue with the antilock getting its knickers in a twist and was heart stopping for a second or so when braking was not there and then came back to save the day!

This! For a split second when your mind was sitting there in the comfort of 'gentle regen' to then suddenly to 'NO BRAKES'!

Reactions: Rustybkts
I’m not really sure how things are structured but Fisker GmbH, the Austrian part of Fisker, entered administration last Wednesday. I’m guessing this is the bit that deal with Magna-Steyr as they ar based in Graz in Austria. Speaking of Magna-Steyr it has been reported that they will be making 500 people redundant after stopping Ocean production. It’s just horrible all round, especially for the people who bought the car or have lost their livelihood.

I’m not really sure how things are structured but Fisker GmbH, the Austrian part of Fisker, entered administration last Wednesday. I’m guessing this is the bit that deal with Magna-Steyr as they ar based in Graz in Austria. Speaking of Magna-Steyr it has been reported that they will be making 500 people redundant after stopping Ocean production. It’s just horrible all round, especially for the people who bought the car or have lost their livelihood.
Yeah, I agree. It's all really sad. I can't understand how the Fisker management could have let such a promising position turn to worms like this.

Just wanted to add on the missing regen. I had the same issue with my old VW PHEV. I never could track it down precisely but it only appeared after having two tyres changed to a new brand - in hindsight perhaps a bad idea. It disappeared when all four tyres were the same brand. Could be the ABS system detecting wheel slip and overreacting.

Likely shows an issue with Fisker's internal testing or vehicle dynamics software.

Just wanted to add on the missing regen. I had the same issue with my old VW PHEV. I never could track it down precisely but it only appeared after having two tyres changed to a new brand - in hindsight perhaps a bad idea. It disappeared when all four tyres were the same brand. Could be the ABS system detecting wheel slip and overreacting.

Likely shows an issue with Fisker's internal testing or vehicle dynamics software.
I think as you say the software on these cars is extremely complicated. Fisker might not have written that specific piece of software as they could have purchased an off the shelf OEM component that is supplied with software. That’s what most car companies do and maybe the fact others have experienced the same in other brands tells you this off the shelf component isn’t ideal.

Tesla of course write most of this software themselves. Maybe not all, I don’t know but generally by this point they’ve got it pretty solid. Sure we all complain about wipers but compared to what I saw with my Lotus or what’s mentioned on this Fisker, a Tesla is heaven in comparison.

I think as you say the software on these cars is extremely complicated. Fisker might not have written that specific piece of software as they could have purchased an off the shelf OEM component that is supplied with software. That’s what most car companies do and maybe the fact others have experienced the same in other brands tells you this off the shelf component isn’t ideal.

Tesla of course write most of this software themselves. Maybe not all, I don’t know but generally by this point they’ve got it pretty solid. Sure we all complain about wipers but compared to what I saw with my Lotus or what’s mentioned on this Fisker, a Tesla is heaven in comparison.
Yup, my ID.3 doesn't do it, and no Tesla I've ever driven has done it either... It is very disconcerting because you often train yourself into not using the brakes in any hybrid/EV. So you are slowing down for a roundabout for instance and suddenly the regen needle goes to zero and you are not decelerating. In my case a quick tap of the brake pedal or accelerator pedal and the system reset itself and regen started again. Took it to the garage and they couldn't replicate it, it was truly one of those 1 in 30-50 mile kind of things that you would need a datalogger hooked up for some time looking at all the sensor, computer, etc data. This is the kind of refinement that happens when companies make electric vehicles for some time - I had very much a first generation PHEV from VW and it showed with how things were set up... So I can see how this has happened with Fisker, but for such an expensive vehicle and no hope of it getting better? Ouch. I hope OP does get it sorted.

Loooong series of emails later...

Fisker have been pushed to sort the issues by Forza and Santander. New email address has been set up for UK Fisker owners as the european team is now looking after the UK support element.

Speaking with Santander, they're saying that Fisker have had their chance to resolve the issues - now just waiting on the inspection report coming back. If that backs me up, Santander will be supportive of a refund/rejection. Praying that the inspection backed me up as the car behaved when they did the inspection on Monday.

Now, we wait!

There was a press release a few days ago about a dealership in Nottingham being appointed as a Fisker agent. It’s really weird - production stopped months ago and restart seems extremely unlikely, so I’m guessing this is just some cynical attempt at window dressing to sell off the remaining stock with a veneer of respectability.

At what price would people buy one? I’d pay more than WBAC were offering but not sure I’d even pay £5k.
Hard to say, you'd have to factor in the risk of how long it might run vs a possible unfixable fault with a component that cannot be sourced rendering the car scrap. I mean £5k seems fine if you figure you fancy the risk it won't break down in a year's time, far less than the deprecation you take on a new car. Hell 6 months wouldn't be terrible. If you get 3 years out of it then you are quids in.

I figure I could maybe gamble at around £10k or less if I wanted to risk it on the hope you'd get a few years out of it and put up with it's software issues that will never get fixed if they fold (An all but certainty).