Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck is a scam.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scam is pretty harsh language, and I think you'll get a lot of pushback for such word choice. A key component of a scam is the act of defrauding the victim, which tesla doesn't do here. The people who are putting in 100k to 120ish k for the foundation edition can see the lower prices on the website that tesla is aiming for, and their... probably overly optimistic timelines on delivering those reduced prices to customers. So that makes making a case that tesla is financially harming their foundation customers through deception or lack of consent, a stretch. Other components of a scam:
  • Preying on Trust or Vulnerability: Doesn't really apply to Tesla. this would be like the phone center scams where the person on the other end pretends to be amazon or whatever to gain access to your personal and financial information.
  • Intent to gain unlawfully: Doesn't apply. It's a legal purchasing of a car.
  • No Legitimate Product or Service: Doesn't apply. Tesla will definitely deliver every foundation order that's promised.
  • No recourse or Redress: People who pre-ordered based on the magical thinking of getting a 40k truck can refund their preorders. There may be a slight case here based on lost interest, but it wouldn't hold up in court. If the roadster bros don't get interest back then you definitely won't.
What it does feel like is manipulative. Not nearly as manipulative as the standard car dealership system, but definitely a step in the wrong direction. The 60-100k price we see on tesla feels like a price shield to soften the blow of missing the 40k target on launch by a factor of 2.5 (100k is cheapest launch (foundation) edition). I'd much rather tesla have come out and say, during the release or in a press release simultaneously, that they will be offering the foundation edition priced at 100-120k to current pre-orders who want the truck first, and plan to reduce the price to 60-100k sometime in the future for pre-orders who don't want to experience the foundation edition. Make no mention for orders past the early pre-orders so they can then raise or lower the price as they always do. In addition, mentioning how Tesla is the only EV company producing profitable EVs and the only company willing to lower prices as they ramp up production would soften the sting of the foundation edition. It feels like they are the only car company following the simple supply and demand curve, which is a really cool thing.

However, they decided to be quiet on all of this and so it does come off as a bit manipulative. I'm glad you are criticizing them for this, and I think more of us should so they strive to be a more honest company going forward. (Tesla is slowly becoming known as a company that lies often... which is unfortunate, they need to get a handle on this before the public opinion turns too far against them. You, me, and many of us here are the canary in the coal mine for this.)

@Zybane

Please help me I am confused.

I paid more for my early VIN Model 3 than other folks than bought it in years later. I received some things that I think are pretty cool. I looked out my office window and saw the orange of my Model 3 roof glass as it was misting.
PXL_20231226_161319191~2.jpgPXL_20231226_163248877.jpg

Wasn't a scam. It was pretty cool actually. I received Alacantara interior. Not many have that. Dealt with some products that had to be installed post delivery.

So I am doing the same thing here in my Cybertruck purchase. Maybe paying more. Sure. I need a few of the items in the list anyway. So I am willing to pay more for that.

My RN was one of the first 500 or so. I was asked pretty quickly after many in CA and in TX.

I am more than likely going to miss out on some things as the product matures in its lifecycle as that is the way Tesla and other automakers improve the product.

Bottom line buy the product or don't. As far as it being a scam. One might not be used to or willing to purchase products that are in demand. Sorry for your disappointment.

View attachment 1003247

Hmm, I guess we have different views on what a scam is. IMO the above what I posted easily fits under a deceptive act.
Did they take your $100 and not offer a refund after lying to you? Definitely have a different definition of a scam.

Agree with outdoors above. If you're this upset now, I probably wouldn't go into buying from them. Might have better luck with a traditional dealership who will also sell at thousands above MSRP for an in-demand car or truck.

Reactions: outdoors
Did they take your $100 and not offer a refund after lying to you? Definitely have a different definition of a scam.

Agree with outdoors above. If you're this upset now, I probably wouldn't go into buying from them. Might have better luck with a traditional dealership who will also sell at thousands above MSRP for an in-demand car or truck.
Yeah, but a Stealership doesn't threaten to sue you for $50k - if you try to sell your over-priced ___ within the first year, and not tell you about it until after you plunk down the $1000. That is BS.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: kayak1 and outdoors
Yeah, but a Stealership doesn't threaten to sue you for $50k - if you try to sell your over-priced ___ within the first year, and not tell you about it until after you plunk down the $1000. That is BS.
Are you sure?

Are you sure?
I guess not! But, when do the Stealership put this agreement before the customer? Before or after (as Tesla does) the customer puts down the $1000 non refundable configuration lock deposit?

Reactions: dsm363
I guess not! But, when do the Stealership put this agreement before the customer? Before or after (as Tesla does) the customer puts down the $1000 non refundable configuration lock deposit?
If Telsa is showing people that after they put down the $1,000 then that is definitely wrong. I don't know what dealerships usually do as I've never bought a car from a dealership that was expensive enough to justify that clause.

Tesla could definitely be accused of being misleading and manipulative even but they are working to make the most money like every company. It'd be nice if they did it in a way which angered less people ideally.

And if that happens, all the got to be first buyers just lost their ass.
Already lost it on a year old MX Plaid.

- Glutton for Punishment​
(in my weak defense, I have really tried unsuccessfully to find a different brand... R1S was the closest I could find to meet my needs but Rivian understandably needs time, and NACS, to be competitive at the same price point in my opinion)​

One of the big supposed reasons for "direct sales" from manufacturers was to have a set price and eliminate dealership price gouging. Tesla just internalized the dealer gouging. And no, the invites aren't going in order. Basically the Founders Edition is just a money grab to have more wealthy people jump the line in front of less wealthy. Tesla would do just fine selling Cybertrucks at all the same price and in order. It's simple greed doing it the way they are.

Not sure what posting the Tonneau cover mechanism has to do with anything. I'm talking about the rear window doesn't roll down between cab and vault. Nor does it have the HVAC pumped into the vault as Elon tweeted it would.
If you go on cybertruckownersclub.com you will see they are going in order and no one is skipping the line. you are certainly allowed an opinion, but not alternative facts. No early reservation holder is being bypassed, we all have a choice to decide if we want one based on this new information. From 2019 till now, do you think costs should stay the same? We have just gone through major inflation and a pandemic, costs and prices will rise...that is reality.
Regarding price gouging. That is not really happening. Tesla is not just throwing a price up. There are additions/options just like any car or truck has, to differentiate. Unlike with car stealerships that just mark up the car.
And, with the concept, what concept do you know of that comes as close to reality than the CyberTruck. Most other concepts are vaporware. With the Cybertruck, probably around 85% has made it to reality. Elon probably had a wish list, but not everything made it in...the engineers did an excellent job considering what they were tasked with. Give credit where it is due.
We are all allowed to rant, but try and stick to the facts.

I guess my one wish is that Elon had been more transparent about deleted features.

For instance, the lack of the proposed built-in full width loading ramp. Granted, it’s a feature only a percentage of owners would use, but for those who use one it would have been a nice feature. At the “Delivery Event” it would have liked for Elon to have been more transparent about the deletion of that feature. It may have proven to be too difficult to implement, not worth the weight/complexity for the average user, that sort of thing. And the same applies for every “miss” in the delivered product.

But I don’t feel ”scammed” nor “lied to” in the least. In a year or so when my number comes up, I’ll have a decision to make: Is the CyberTruck, as delivered, worth it to me or not? And if not, what are some other options, both EV and ICE, that might make for a more rational use of my earmarked $80k or so mentally set aside for a CyberTruck. And life will go on…

If you go on cybertruckownersclub.com you will see they are going in order and no one is skipping the line. you are certainly allowed an opinion, but not alternative facts. No early reservation holder is being bypassed, we all have a choice to decide if we want one based on this new information. From 2019 till now, do you think costs should stay the same? We have just gone through major inflation and a pandemic, costs and prices will rise...that is reality.
Regarding price gouging. That is not really happening. Tesla is not just throwing a price up. There are additions/options just like any car or truck has, to differentiate. Unlike with car stealerships that just mark up the car.
And, with the concept, what concept do you know of that comes as close to reality than the CyberTruck. Most other concepts are vaporware. With the Cybertruck, probably around 85% has made it to reality. Elon probably had a wish list, but not everything made it in...the engineers did an excellent job considering what they were tasked with. Give credit where it is due.
We are all allowed to rant, but try and stick to the facts.
How about That Frunk? Maybe get 2 small bags of groceries… maybe?

"Scam" is a bit harsh, and I'm no fan of the production Cybertruck. Doesn't (remotely) meet expectations is a more accurate description. Scam would be you paying me for a diamond, and I deliver a lump of coal along with directions on how to use a high temperature press. Tesla is in the business of producing vehicles for a profit, and they are free to sell it at whatever price they want, which people are willing to pay for. They are not obligated to manage the paid wait-list in any particular manner, and their liability is only the amount of the money we put down to be on the wait-list. We as truck buyers can also say "nope", I'm not buying. ;)

I do agree the "range extender" will likely end up being vapor-ware, nor can I disagree with the other complaints.

"Scam" is a bit harsh, and I'm no fan of the production Cybertruck. Doesn't (remotely) meet expectations is a more accurate description. Scam would be you paying me for a diamond, and I deliver a lump of coal along with directions on how to use a high temperature press. Tesla is in the business of producing vehicles for a profit, and they are free to sell it at whatever price they want, which people are willing to pay for. They are not obligated to manage the paid wait-list in any particular manner, and their liability is only the amount of the money we put down to be on the wait-list. We as truck buyers can also say "nope", I'm not buying. ;)

I do agree the "range extender" will likely end up being vapor-ware, nor can I disagree with the other complaints.
Sure, but Elon definitely exhibits "Charlatan-like" behavior, with his, "known to be false (by him) when he says them," claims (many examples have already been cited, so I will not repeat the factual list). And what do "charlatan's" do by definition? They scam or mislead people for their own benefit. In this case, I think the shoe fits (Elon).