Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Could using V speed rated tires instead of W cause damage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

The stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (500 AA A, 45K miles warranty, speed rating W) on my 2015 MS 85D needed replacing, so I started reading some reviews for a replacement. The reviews for the Michelin CrossClimate2 (640 B A, 60K miles warranty, speed rating V) seem much better than the MXM4. I'm giving up some on the traction (AA vs. B) according to the official specs, but according to the reviews on TireRack, the CC2 does just fine for traction. And the CC2 has a much longer mileage warranty. However, when I went in to the Costco tire center, I was told that replacing W rated tires with V can cause damage (to the suspension?). Is this true? It doesn't seem true intuitively, but I am not a tire expert. Anyway, I decided to play it safe and ordered the MXM4's. I really don't have anything bad to say about the MXM4's. They have served me well. But I thought the CC2's might be better.

I would appreciate any insight on the V speed rating causing damage, or any recommendations on what tires I should have gotten (I'm not an aggressive driver, but I do value safety along with long tread life).

Thanks!

I have CrossClimate 2, Size: 245/45R19 102V XL on my 2020 S Long Range. CC2 has small hit on range, but I haven't measured it. Speed rating W is a limit of 168MPH, V is 149 MPH. I don't think your car has a max speed above V, so everything should be fine. I think because of liability, new car manufacturers must fit tires that can handle the vehicle's top speed. I don't think there is any other reason the V rated tires wouldn't work.

Reactions: Skavatar
I also have 245/45R19's. How do you like the CC2? Traction, road noise, comfort?

I have CrossClimate 2, Size: 245/45R19 102V XL on my 2020 S Long Range. CC2 has small hit on range, but I haven't measured it. Speed rating W is a limit of 168MPH, V is 149 MPH. I don't think your car has a max speed above V, so everything should be fine. I think because of liability, new car manufacturers must fit tires that can handle the vehicle's top speed. I don't think there is any other reason the V rated tires wouldn't work.

I like them very much, but don't have many miles on them yet. They are noisier than the sound suppression Goodyears that came from the factory, and I expect probably more noise as they age, but this doesn't bother me. Ride is great. I bought them for the snow rating and wet braking and wet road holding, while having really good scores on everything else. I would agree with these scores:

Last edited: