Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port door closes immediately after opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just happens to me on my model Y 2023. After trying all the “tips” on this post unsuccessfully, the fix was simple: use your hand to push the door when is closed. Then open the charge port door with the app and ta-da! It stayed open

This is beginning to look like a trend. I just had this happen to me. First, I could not open the port by pressing the port itself. Car was awake, the port wouldnt budge. I had to open the port by using the app and then when it opened, it immediately closed. Open, close, it was immediate. I ended up opening with the app and then immediately shoving the charge cord into the connector and the port ended up closing on top of the cable.

I'm thinking it's a bug introduced with the latest software download, 2024.2.2.1. This was the first time I've charged since receiving the download.

this issues just happened to me while washing the car. Opened by mistake when washing it and hit it to close it. Now it won’t even open with app screen or voice command. It was initially doing the open close fast thing now it doesn’t open at all and I have to man-handle it to open it and even after that it just slams shut.
Software version: 2024.2.3

2020 Model 3 here, same thing started happening today. Reboot, shut down didn't work.

I found if I opened the port and immediately jammed the connector in and started a charge, then stopped it, it would start functioning again.

Seems like a bug, though I'm on software v2023.44.30.14

When the charge port cover closes almost immediately after opening it has been shown that the Voice Command "Open Charge Port" may not have this issue.
If it happens again I'll be sure to try it, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd expect all "remote open" commands (touch screen, voice command, or app) to use the exact same CAN bus message/signaling.

Add me to the list of people with the charging door issue.

Door opens and then IMMEDIATELY closes. Can't even press the "unlock" button on the screen as the door closes even before the unlock button shows.
My experience with my 2020 LRMY has been that if the charge port open/close app/screen function acts up the voice command "Open charge port" may work normally. Worth a try.

2021 MY. This just happened today. The charger port door closes immediately after opening. Keeps doing this. I soft boot car by long pressing 2 scroll balls on steering wheel but no change. Anyone has any suggestion? I did update software to 2022.40.4.2 couple of days ago.
Thanks!
There have been instances of dirt or spider webs in the charging port. Check for dirt or whatever

So there is a tiny tiny opening in the trunk in the area near the charger door leading to some wires. I gently gave the wires some tugging for about 10 seconds in different directions...never got any feedback that the tugging was doing anything (like hearing a click). Magically after that the door suddenly worked as expected.
Are you sure you aren't pulling on the manual release? See bottom of:

That just pulls out the mechanical locking pin on the bottom of the charge port.

Are you sure you aren't pulling on the manual release? See bottom of:

That just pulls out the mechanical locking pin on the bottom of the charge port.

The pic on that page with the ring does not look anything like my May 2023 Model Y.

However it does say
"The release cable may be recessed within the opening of the trim."

Yes, I have a crude triangular opening in the plastic trim that leads to some wires. I was fiddling with them.

Had this issue pop up today so I made a service request. Had tried the manual pull method, and it did not work. Mobile service messaged me within about an hour and pushed a firmware update to my car (2024.2.7), which is the same version that my car was already on. But somehow it worked. Car rebooted and no issues with charge port staying open now.

This just happens to me on my model Y 2023. After trying all the “tips” on this post unsuccessfully, the fix was simple: use your hand to push the door when is closed. Then open the charge port door with the app and ta-da! It stayed open
After trying all the other solutions, this one worked for me! Thanks! Just apply some pressure to the charging door when closed, then click open charge port in app. The charging door stayed open :)

After trying all the other solutions, this one worked for me! Thanks! Just apply some pressure to the charging door when closed, then click open charge port in app. The charging door stayed open :)
I also went through the other solutions listed here with no luck. I ended up trying this (applying pressure to a closed door and opening with the app) and it worked. I plugged in and charged for a bit, unplugged, went to run some errands, came home and tried to plug back in - back to opening and closing right away.

Applied some pressure to the closed door and opened with the app - opened and stayed open.
Closed via the app, and opened with the button on the Wall Connector - opened and stayed open.

We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: jcan
Hey guys, going to join your club.

MYLR 2023, happened to me today. Stopped working opening by hand touch, opens and immediately closes. I can open the charging port via app, voice or via touching charge port on the screen.

All the tricks above described did not work. Seldomly charging port opens and stay opened, but only once. 95% cases immediately closes. Charged my car with the door on top of the cable.

Opened a service request , waiting for the response.

I can confirm that my charge port door has been functioning normally as of Wednesday afternoon/evening.

I still have a mobile service appointment open for this Friday - the estimate came in today; looks like they are going to replace the charge port door assembly. However, since things have been working normally I'm going to cancel the appointment.

I can confirm that my charge port door has been functioning normally as of Wednesday afternoon/evening.

I still have a mobile service appointment open for this Friday - the estimate came in today; looks like they are going to replace the charge port door assembly. However, since things have been working normally I'm going to cancel the appointment.
Personally, I’d let them replace it.