Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3.0 Battery Longevity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone else pointed out, 221 in range mode would be horrible. I'd expect a car with that age and mileage to have a CAC of 180-190, which would be much more like a standard charge of ~210. The Tesla guy probably just had no idea what he was doing and gave you the standard charge level. Range mode on a 3.0 Roadster winds up with about 100 miles more than standard mode. A 3.0 standard mode charge is about 80% SOC, and when in standard mode it hides the bottom 10% of the battery, so you get roughly 70% of the full capacity reported.

The pack will degrade. They pretty much all do (the only one that hasn't just hasn't been driven at all so the CAC algorithm hasn't been running to update it). If you drive it a lot, it will degrade a little faster (like mine has), but mostly it's just a factor of time. The cells they chose just aren't that great in terms of longevity. If you get a 3.0, just expect it.

That said, the rate of degradation does seem to be lower as the pack gets older. My pack lost about 15 Ah in the first 10K miles and about 25 in the next 45K (with about the same usage pattern).

Bill. Thanks for the great input. Here is the info dealer sent over. See enclosed pictures. I made an offer of 67K he baulked, so I haven't flown out there. Car is off warranty this July, if it had a year remaining I'd offer him the asking price. Let it sit some more maybe he'll change his mind.

Attachments

• IMG_3288.jpeg
    IMG_3288.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3289.jpeg
    IMG_3289.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 122
Yeah I have a MacBook, so just reformat the USB using MacOS Journaled?
I'm running Catalina 10.15.3, do IT security for a living (CISSP #42555) , very comfortable with Macs. I'm not aware what language the Roadster speaks regarding output of the log files. PS3 and PS4 use linux but uses FAT for patching and picture uploads.

I assume Roadsters use Linux, based upon the Model S and X. Please verify the USB stick you were using has the required storage space FAT 32 was the format. Still not working, yes try MacOS Journaled.

Last edited:
As has been stated elsewhere, in addition to having the USB drive appropriately sized and formatted, one must create a top-level directory (folder) named VehicleLogs. That's where the log files will be written.

Indeed, the Roadster VMS processor does run Linux. The log files written to the USB drive are in tar format and contain a collection of different internal log files. The primary file is named vms_log and is a sequence of messages in a proprietary binary format that has been reverse engineered and implemented in several log parsing programs.

As has been stated elsewhere, in addition to having the USB drive appropriately sized and formatted, one must create a top-level directory (folder) named VehicleLogs. That's where the log files will be written.

Indeed, the Roadster VMS processor does run Linux. The log files written to the USB drive are in tar format and contain a collection of different internal log files. The primary file is named vms_log and is a sequence of messages in a proprietary binary format that has been reverse engineered and implemented in several log parsing programs.
+1.

Also note that "VehicleLogs" is case sensitive.

Did you buy it, it's showing as sold and if so, how much?

No it wasn’t me. I texted the dealer and wax informed it sold for 74k. Waiting to hear back from the County Property Tax division regarding its assessed value (Black book). I’ll post email once I get a reply. There’s another one I found : p. Not going to do leg work for someone only to get beaten to the punch lol. Wasn’t too hot on a white car with no warranty come July.

No it wasn’t me. I texted the dealer and wax informed it sold for 74k. Waiting to hear back from the County Property Tax division regarding its assessed value (Black book). I’ll post email once I get a reply. There’s another one I found : p. Not going to do leg work for someone only to get beaten to the punch lol. Wasn’t too hot on a white car with no warranty come July.
I'm working a deal as we speak, hope yours is not in Florida. I'm not sure where you think you're going to get warranty on a Roadster.

Reactions: ra88it
Okay gents here what the County stated, verbatim:

Thank you for your patience. Approximately the assessed value for the tax year of 2020 on a 2011 Tesla Roadster Sport would be around 46,800. The taxes for the vehicle would also be approximately around $1,600 for 12 months.

For more information, please visit our website at Department Homepage | Tax Administration .

Okay gents here what the County stated, verbatim:

Thank you for your patience. Approximately the assessed value for the tax year of 2020 on a 2011 Tesla Roadster Sport would be around 46,800. The taxes for the vehicle would also be approximately around $1,600 for 12 months.

For more information, please visit our website at Department Homepage | Tax Administration .
Not sure what this means. It will vary from state to state. Maybe you should move? This is an electric vehicle, you should have zero taxes other than registration fees.

• Love
Reactions: ra88it
In California at least, that "valuation" is not tied to what you actually paid for it, as the vehicle falls into some sort of "tax the rich" category, but rather some depreciation off the original list price. A higher number, of course.

Mine was based on what I paid.

I could have given a lower number, but I was honest and the DMV person was incredulous that I paid what I did for a 10 yr old used car. :oops:

Maybe it gets audited. I haven't heard from the authorities yet . . .

Reactions: dhrivnak
Mine was based on what I paid.

I could have given a lower number, but I was honest and the DMV person was incredulous that I paid what I did for a 10 yr old used car. :oops:

Maybe it gets audited. I haven't heard from the authorities yet . . .
Well, perhaps it's changed, or perhaps it's county dependent. I registered my car right at the end of 2014, and the DMV person apologized to me that she had to charge more than what it would have been based only on price. And I didn't think I got a massively good deal...

Not sure what this means. It will vary from state to state. Maybe you should move? This is an electric vehicle, you should have zero taxes other than registration fees.

Welcome to Virginia. We pay sales tax on a car at purchase, then in the same year depending on the purchase date, you are prorated personal property tax on the car until it moves out of the state or you sell it. My county uses the the Black Book as the source of value of cars. Not paying to get a subscription for dealers book so I wrote the county.

Yes there is a VA tax code law to tax alternative fuel vehicles less. However I know for a fact that neither Arlington, Fairfax County, or City of Alexandria has placed that law into motion. There’s no reason for them to collect less money. I’m not taking off day and leg work to sponsor it either.