Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke peeling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobile yoke replacement confirmed for peeling yoke on 2022 MSLR.
1000029559.jpg

Reactions: aerodyne and Evee
On original yoke from my early 2023 build MS Plaid…I’ve now got several spots where it’s peeling. Anyone had any luck getting Tesla to replace under warranty but replace with a wheel instead of a yoke?
I have a 2022 MS LR with yoke and wanted I do this, I submitted a service request just a week ago for this and they refused. They want $1,800 and change for the wheel, airbag and labor. And they wouldn’t even let me keep the new yoke. So I said just give me the new yoke first which is covered by warranty. They said the round wheel was an option before when they had no stock of the new yokes. I see some round wheels on eBay for half the price and it’s super easy to swap. Although I understand some have concerns about the airbag since it’s a different part number for yoke vs wheel.

Reactions: Sam1
I have a 2022 MS LR with yoke and wanted I do this, I submitted a service request just a week ago for this and they refused. They want $1,800 and change for the wheel, airbag and labor. And they wouldn’t even let me keep the new yoke. So I said just give me the new yoke first which is covered by warranty. They said the round wheel was an option before when they had no stock of the new yokes. I see some round wheels on eBay for half the price and it’s super easy to swap. Although I understand some have concerns about the airbag since it’s a different part number for yoke vs wheel.

I did see some of those, but can't remember if those steering wheels also still had the horn button instead of the mechanical setup. Did they ever offer them as replacements with the mechanical horn?

On original yoke from my early 2023 build MS Plaid…I’ve now got several spots where it’s peeling. Anyone had any luck getting Tesla to replace under warranty but replace with a wheel instead of a yoke?
They came to replace my round wheel but accidentally brought the yoke. Asked if I wanted the yoke and I said no I rather get the wheel. They came back a few days later to replace the round wheel. I absolutely love the new mechanical horn.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Not sure about Michigan, but in. California,
It is illegal for them to refuse to let you keep the old parts.

For a warranty part, that is probably different. If, OTOH, you pay for a repair, then you are entitled to the parts. You own all the parts of a car. Can I cite the law? No. I am sure I could if I had to, but I currently have no need.
It also states on your invoice that you are able to keep the non-warrantied parts if you pay the core charge (minus a few specific exclusions). Unfortunately I've become familiar with this specific topic since it's one part of my lawsuit, since they refused to let me have the parts I paid for, and even refused to let me inspect the parts that were removed/replaced. Fortunately for me though, all of my concerns are on legal audio recordings so there's actual evidence and not just a he said she said situation.

Invoice text:
Any parts (including tires/wheels)removed or replaced by Tesla during vehicle service will become the property of Tesla. However, at the time you authorize repairs, you may request to receive (subject to any applicable core charge, which you agree to pay) or inspect replaced parts (excluding inflatable restraint system components), except body shop repair parts and parts required to be returned to the manufacturer or a third party under a warranty,trade-in or exchange agreement, which will only be presented to you for examination and not returned