Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow Screen Service Issues discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Um, Tesla already has such a device. My screen and many others (as can be seen in the many threads on the subject), has been properly repaired by their device. My screen was very bad prior to the repair and looks perfect now. I didn’t need to go to arbitration, I just scheduled an appointment. But I agree with others in the other threads, it could have been addressed earlier by Tesla and more units should have been produced. Since you sold your Tesla I know you don’t like reading any positive posts, so ding me as I know you will. ;)

Kudos to ucmndd for this DIY project. Well done!

I live in San Diego and have literally been to my service center 4 times and each time the device is either broken or not available. Therefore not everyone, even in major cities, can simply have this repaired

Yes, that’s true and it shouldn’t be, but contrary to the original post I was referring to, the device does exist.

No one has ever said the device does not exist. The problem is Tesla can't supply all the service centers with units because they are made from a rare combination of unobtainium and unicorn horn. That's why I am highly dubious that anyone was able to make one themselves. Most people don't even know what unobtainium is or where to find it.

No one has ever said the device does not exist. The problem is Tesla can't supply all the service centers with units because they are made from a rare combination of unobtainium and unicorn horn. That's why I am highly dubious that anyone was able to make one themselves. Most people don't even know what unobtainium is or where to find it.
Good grief, for the third time, my post was refuting a poster’s claim/insinuation that the device didn’t exist. This was the poster’s comment, “It’s hard to believe Tesla is taking so long to create and produce a machine when a $35 diy solution works just fine. Wtf are they doing?”

So you are incorrect that ‘nobody’ has ever claimed these devices don’t exist.

Last edited:
Good grief, for the third time, my post was refuting a poster’s claim/insinuation that the device didn’t exist. This was the poster’s comment, “It’s hard to believe Tesla is taking so long to create and produce a machine when a $35 diy solution works just fine. Wtf are they doing?”

So you are incorrect that ‘nobody’ has ever claimed these devices don’t exist.

That's the problem. No one here has said the machine doesn't exist. I don't know what you are quoting, but it's not from this thread.

I think you don't understand the dynamic involved here. No one knows if this fix is a fix or if it is a band aid. So they may need to replace all these units if they are still under warranty when they problem returns. So it makes perfect sense for them to delay the treatment as much as possible... to delay the recurrence until the cars are out of warranty.

Your car is out of warranty. So they have no reason to stonewall you. Besides, the stonewalling is not being done based on individual cars. The company is delaying the treatments by not having enough units in the field to treat all the cars with the problem.

The fact remains, Tesla IS pissing off their customers, first by denying it is a warranty claim, second by making the treatment available to only a fraction of their customers. Are you suggesting this is not happening?

San Diego fixed it today and I already have my car back after less than 5 hours even though that service center is ridiculously busy. Screen looks perfect. They goodwilled it (no charge).

That set of actual facts must be strange to you, given your bizarre world view on this. And by the way, the bolded above is no where near a "fact", or they would have charged me for this.

San Diego fixed it today and I already have my car back after less than 5 hours even though that service center is ridiculously busy. Screen looks perfect. They goodwilled it (no charge).

That set of actual facts must be strange to you, given your bizarre world view on this. And by the way, the bolded above is no where near a "fact", or they would have charged me for this.

You seem to not understand the issue at all.

And by the way, the bolded above is no where near a "fact", or they would have charged me for this.

Do you understand that 'goodwill' means that they are doing this for you as a favor. As in, they have no obligation to do it because it's not covered under warranty. And it is a "fact" that Tesla is denying this as a warranty claim, they've explicitly said this to me and many others. And they're implicitly saying it to you by stating that the repair is 'goodwill'. This means that they are saying that they will be under no obligation to repair it if it reoccurs.

Good grief, this never ends. I think we should start another 50 threads just on ‘the perils of goodwill’.

They didn’t have to fix it the first time under ‘goodwill’, but they did. The clear assumption here seems to be, ‘yeah, they’ll do it the first time, but if you have a recurrence you’re sh*t out of luck’. Nobody knows that to be the case, because nobody has had a recurrence. The ‘glass 1/2 empty crowd’ always seems to assume you will have a recurrence and then you’ll be on your own. Color me naive, I don’t. Worst case scenario, as others have demonstrated, there are other paths one can take to initiate a repair.

Reactions: GoBlue88
Do you understand that 'goodwill' means that they are doing this for you as a favor. As in, they have no obligation to do it because it's not covered under warranty. And it is a "fact" that Tesla is denying this as a warranty claim, they've explicitly said this to me and many others. And they're implicitly saying it to you by stating that the repair is 'goodwill'. This means that they are saying that they will be under no obligation to repair it if it reoccurs.
Man, you guys are one pessimistic bunch. They could have charged me for it and I would have paid as I'm out of warranty. They didn't charge me for it even though it is out of warranty. Does that sound like a company actively trying to screw over its customers? That's the argument being put up here, at least by Fredneck.

Must be stressful going through life with such a negative outlook on things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken7
Man, you guys are one pessimistic bunch. They could have charged me for it and I would have paid as I'm out of warranty. They didn't charge me for it even though it is out of warranty. Does that sound like a company actively trying to screw over its customers? That's the argument being put up here, at least by Fredneck.

Must be stressful going through life with such a negative outlook on things.

Must be nice to see things only through your own circumstances, and be able to totally ignore the experience of others, and totally disregard facts if they don't agree with your beliefs. The yellow border issue started happening to me when my car was less than 6 months old. The car was and still is well within the warranty period. Tesla explicitly told me that this issue "is not covered by the vehicle warranty", but they would do the "one-time" UV treatment. They also added that the UV treatment is not a permanent solution.

Have you seen the 1500+ post thread about how people have taken Tesla to arbitration to force them to resolve this, and how Tesla has fought many people on this? Must be nice to be able to ignore all that. Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

Reactions: Fredneck