Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WoW! Netflix audio is super immersive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

StealthP3D

Dec 12, 2018
Maple Falls, WA
I just downloaded version 10 and am completely blown away by how immersive the audio sounds while playing Netflix! It's like being in a high-quality movie theater with full-on surround coming from all directions. I do have the Premium audio but don't most Model 3's come with that?

When I heard Tesla was going to have Netflix video, I thought the idea of watching a movie in a car was kind of a silly idea but I had no idea how immersive it would feel. And the picture is awesome too. The screen is close enough to viewers in the front seats that the entire experience is surreal. Tesla really knocked it out of the park, I was not expecting this!

I have no idea why people say it’s full on surround sound. Sounds just like stereo to me... If it were surround sound the voices would mostly come from the center (windshield area). But they don’t (you hear them strongly in the doors). The car has a simple 2.1-channel sound system as far as I’m aware.

Last edited:
I have no idea why people say it’s full on surround sound. Sounds just like stereo to me... If it were surround sound the voices would mostly come from the center (windshield area). But they don’t (you hear them strongly in the doors). The car has a simple 2.1-channel sound system as far as I’m aware.
It is at the very least 4.1, as there is both left/right panning as well and fore/aft panning. I'll have to to some Science with a 5.1 channel FLAC to do some Serious Testing.
I do suspect that the "Immersive Sound" does some crossmixing to turn typical stereophonic audio into something 'surroundy', which would be counterproductive for something that is actually trying to engage the afterward speakers.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I have done experiments with 5.1 FLACs... I tried AC3, DTS, etc... So far, I don't seem able to get rear channel playback. I am not sure if the Netflix player is able to do something that the USB media player cannot. Hopefully if the system is true multi-channel they can make the USB flash decoder do real surround sound too. So far, I am thinking it may just be taking stereo and creating a simulated surround sound out of it.

Last edited:
Completely agree.

Some guys have complained about the video quality, but when my car is connected to my home WiFi, the video quality is fantastic. But the audio is just OMG good. Complete and immersive surround sound.

As promised, the car just keeps getting better.

Is there a possibility to download a movie so you can watch offline, just like on a tablet of phone? Maybe via the stick you use for the sentry mode?

It sure sounds like surround sound to my simple audio sampling devices. But I'm no audiophile by any means.

The car does have simulated surround sound to make stereo sound "immersive". I am not sure what Netflix player is doing, but other streaming services can use that immersive sound feature. Have you tried changing that setting to see how it sounds with it turned off?

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli
The car does have simulated surround sound to make stereo sound "immersive". I am not sure what Netflix player is doing, but other streaming services can use that immersive sound feature. Have you tried changing that setting to see how it sounds with it turned off?
I have, but I didn't really analyze it closely... I just kinda thought "well, that doesn't sound as good," and changed it back to "immersive."

It is at the very least 4.1, as there is both left/right panning as well and fore/aft panning. I'll have to to some Science with a 5.1 channel FLAC to do some Serious Testing.
I do suspect that the "Immersive Sound" does some crossmixing to turn typical stereophonic audio into something 'surroundy', which would be counterproductive for something that is actually trying to engage the afterward speakers.

The reason I like it so much is I'm generally offended or bothered by digital trickery to audio but this system just sounds great without the glaring "rough edges" digital trickery usually exhibits.

I'm still trying to figure out how they got such good forward bass. When listening to MP3's it sounds balanced and good and all but I "feel" the bass coming more from the rear. With Netflix, the bass is right in front of your face.

I just downloaded version 10 and am completely blown away by how immersive the audio sounds while playing Netflix! It's like being in a high-quality movie theater with full-on surround coming from all directions. I do have the Premium audio but don't most Model 3's come with that?

When I heard Tesla was going to have Netflix video, I thought the idea of watching a movie in a car was kind of a silly idea but I had no idea how immersive it would feel. And the picture is awesome too. The screen is close enough to viewers in the front seats that the entire experience is surreal. Tesla really knocked it out of the park, I was not expecting this!

My home theater audio system is a fairly high end 7.2.4 system (7 speakers on floor, 2 sub woofers, 4 in ceiling speakers). I say "fairly high end" because you can spend anything you want on home audio and my system is somewhere around 12k or so in parts (speakers / receiver), and this is either high end, or "entry level" depending on where you are coming from.

I mention this, because I am "into" home theater, and just tried netflix in my car... and it sounds like 70% as good as my home theater, which is absolutely amazing considering the location. I find this amazing, frankly. I know where I will be spending my lunch breaks at work from now on, lmao.

People complain about these features saying tesla should "pay attention to other things" but this absolutely nails the "cool" factor, and being able to sit in an air conditioned car during lunch where people wont be able to bother me while I am trying to take a lunch break is amazing in an of itself. That it sounds this good is even more surprising (I have a model 3P so also have the premium model 3 audio). I wonder what it sounds like in a model S/X with their upgraded audio?

EDIT: while I was typing this, I saw some posts added related to surround sound or not, etc. I am not addressing that as far as what it exactly sounds like in the car. I am just saying it sounds good, and in the 10 minute sample I did, I could clearly hear audio moving back and forth across the car both across the front and behind me.

I'd rather have occasional dropped frames then the thing that really drives me nuts: video and audio slowly falling more and more out of sync. Fortunately I've not seen this on the Tesla yet.

Audio Sync issues drive me batty. I only use netflix to watch anime (I have a huge collection of this sfuff, sue me lol). I havent watched a movie through netflix because I can see and hear the difference between streaming audio / video and the 4k blu rays I still buy. It certainly sounded "good enough" for a car though, as I mentioned it sounded much better than "good enough" to me.

The bigger issue with Netflix is just the frame-rate. It makes me insane. Smooth, smooth, smooth, dropped frames, smooth, smooth, dropped frames, smooth, dropped frames etc.

I've only tested Netflix on LTE with a strong signal and WiFi with a failrly weak (25-35%) signal and didn't see any lack of smoothness or dropped frames. But even if it did drop an occasional frame (and I'm not fully convinced it does), what are you going to do? Complain that BMW's don't do that?? I guess that would be a true statement because BMW's don't have in-car Netflix movies! ;)