Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wouldn't it be a cool feature..if

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick show of hands ... how many people on this thread advocating for range extenders have been driving a Tesla? And how many saying 'range extender not necessary' have been driving a Tesla?

I'll start. Tesla driver 3.5 years, no need for a range extender.

Range extenders are not practical. They

- add weight
- add complexity
- add need to visit gas stations
- decrease battery range

Who would want that?

Maybe in special situation (going on a safari across africa) might be justified. In TESLA markets: NO.

Range extenders are not practical. They

- add weight
- add complexity
- add need to visit gas stations
- decrease battery range

Who would want that?

Maybe in special situation (going on a safari across africa) might be justified. In TESLA markets: NO.
I agree that there are problems with them, but I STRONGLY disagree with your implication that Tesla only sells in locations with enough charging capabilities to never need extra range.

Maybe think about this way, green1, it is prohibitively difficult to add more ranges with battery based or gas engine based range extender to an existing EV aftermarket, because battery technology is not too mature yet for consumer set-up. Adding 400V consumer setup battery with proper BMS is still difficult. It may be easier in the future.

That said if the EV you're thinking about lacks range for your use, that EV might not be for you. Take an ICE for now, and after a few years EVs with more range will come out. I totally agree with you that there are still many people that need more range than 85kWh battery.

Maybe think about this way, green1, it is prohibitively difficult to add more ranges with battery based or gas engine based range extender to an existing EV aftermarket, because battery technology is not too mature yet for consumer set-up. Adding 400V consumer setup battery with proper BMS is still difficult. It may be easier in the future.
The only reason it's hard to add an extender to a Model S is because Tesla has made it impossible to both charge and drive at the same time, if they didn't have the lockout it would be dead simple to add a generator trailer and a connector on the back of the vehicle. This has nothing to do with technology limitations, and will not get any easier in the future. (the same can be said for a towed battery array, or even a battery pack in the frunk or trunk,) Tesla is the roadblock, not technology.

That said if the EV you're thinking about lacks range for your use, that EV might not be for you. Take an ICE for now, and after a few years EVs with more range will come out. I totally agree with you that there are still many people that need more range than 85kWh battery.
So you're admitting that the Model S doesn't have enough range for every situation, yet you discourage people from discussing ways of increasing range... seems a bit counterproductive.

My personal solution will be to replace my car with the Model S, and leave the wife's car as an ICE, that allows me to still do the trips that require the range of the ICE, while getting the benefits of the EV the rest of the time. That said, I'm not going to stop saying that Tesla needs to work on more range, and once I get a model S it won't stop me from experimenting with generator options.

The only reason it's hard to add an extender to a Model S is because Tesla has made it impossible to both charge and drive at the same time, if they didn't have the lockout it would be dead simple to add a generator trailer and a connector on the back of the vehicle.
It's not a dead simple solution for Tesla. For example depending on size you would need a separate license (for person and for vehicle) to tow in Japan. In addition to safety issues of carrying gas in such an exposed way, there are a lot if things to consider for Tesla. If one AAA battery is enough to extend 10 miles of range? Everybody including Tesla might think about it as a natural option (or aftermarket). 4kWh battery for 13 miles at $3.5K?

So you're admitting that the Model S doesn't have enough range for every situation, yet you discourage people from discussing ways of increasing range... seems a bit counterproductive.
I'm not judging or discouraging. I just wanted to express my opinion that the path to extend range on modern EVs is difficult, especially aftermarket.

It's not a dead simple solution for Tesla.
I know, how could Tesla possibly be expected to be able to implement a solution so challenging that the very vehicle they based the roadster on already had, and that the rav4ev had, and other EVs as well... So challenging nobody will ever be able to figure it out....

In addition to safety issues of carrying gas in such an exposed way,
I'll agree it's unsafe, but of course it's exactly as safe as every ICE vehicle on the road, and people seem ok with that, so I don't see the issue.

I could do it myself in my garage for dirt cheap if the Tesla could accept a charge while driving. Being that Tesla (not technology) has decided otherwise, it's still possible, but it involves bypassing the charging system of the car, shouldn't be too prohibitive though, you need the generator trailer, a charger capable of putting out the appropriate DC voltage, and some high voltage cabling to connect to the existing terminals under the back seat.