Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy 19 inch turbine wheels?

Would you buy 19 inch turbine wheels?

• Want 19 inch turbine wheels

Votes: 136 67.7%
  • Want the exisitng 19 inch wheels

Votes: 20 10.0%
  • Want the 21 inch turbine wheels

Votes: 22 10.9%
  • Still waiting to see the 19 inch aero wheels

Votes: 23 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My druthers would be polished 20" turbine wheels.
I've always preferred wheels that are one solid material throughout as opposed to having a cosmetic surface like paint or chrome. These surfaces can more easily be damaged and then require skilled rework as opposed to polished wheels where even significant
scratches can be buffed out.

I was admiring a set 20's on a friends Jag XJL yesterday. I think 20" is close enough to 21" to retain the "look" but still give better choices on tires.

artsci, is Tirerack.com reporting the center bore as 66mm or 64mm? I thought I read in another post that it was 64mm.

From what I have read elsewhere, almost all aftermarket wheels are constructed with a larger center bore so that they can fit a wider variety of vehicles. In fact, of the 32 19" wheels listed on Tirerack.com for the Model S, every one of them is advertised as shipping with centering rings for proper fitment. Outside of Tesla's OEM wheels, my guess is that we are not going to find any with the precise center bore measurement we need.

My mistake. It is 64mm. I should know. I was the one who called TireRack and posted the number:)

There may be hope after all for 19: turbine wheels that will fit the Model S 5 x 120 bolt pattern and 64mm center bore. I found this web site in the UK that sells the wheel and it appear that there is a 5 x 120 bolt pattern option. Wolfrace Lugano 19 Sterling Silver | Direct Alloys I've emailed the vendor with the Tesla bolt pattern and center bore specs to see what's possible. I'll post here when I get an answer.

I've also emailed Wolfrace ( a UK company) directly to see if they make the Lugano wheels in the proper fitment for the Model S. If they don't I'm going to suggest very aggressively to them that there would be a very strong market if they did so. If I don't receive an email response I'm going to "ring them up" as they say in UK English.

I've also emailed Wolfrace ( a UK company) directly to see if they make the Lugano wheels in the proper fitment for the Model S. If they don't I'm going to suggest very aggressively to them that there would be a very strong market if they did so. If I don't receive an email response I'm going to "ring them up" as they say in UK English.

Indeed. Give em a bell on the dog an' bone, that should take care of things :)

Please see this thread to indicate you interest in buying these wheels: Purchase intent for 19 turbine wheels

I have very good news. I just got off the phone with Wolfrace wheels in the UK. Their GB Lugano 8.5 x 19 turbine style wheels are made in a configuration that will fit the Model S's 5 x 120 bolt fitment and 65mm center bore. Mounting them will require a centering ring but that's the case for almost any aftermarket wheel. The wheels are relatively heavy -- about 28 pounds.

Wolfrace will be emailing me later today with price and the like. The gentlemen I spoke to told me he had to talk to their insurer, as exporting wheels that meet US safety requirements impact insurance on the product.

He also asked me what I thought demand would be. I said I thought it would be considerable, but of course it would be hard to be more specific now. Once I have the price I'll try to determine the level of interest that might translate into volume. I thought that if there's enough interest we could arrange some kind of group buy that would result in a major price discount. We'll see.

The are two color options for these wheels. Here are photos as well as links to the GB Lugano wheel pages on the Wolfrace web site:

Sterling silver color: Wolfrace Wheels - Wolfrace GBLugano - sterling silver

gb_luganoss_large.jpg

Black polished: Wolfrace Wheels - Wolfrace GBLugano - black/ polished

gb_lugano_large.jpg

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the silver Wolfrace Luganos in Artsci's post [#71] are a rebranded version of the Rial Luganos I have been using. It looks like the weather will be warm enough for me to put my 21" OEM wheels back on next weekend.

Thanks for checking in. I'm still planning on doing exactly what you did. Do you still like the Rial Luganos. Any issues at all? I'll probably get the car the first day of Spring so will be able to hold off until Fall so I may bug you one more time with questions. :smile:

Al-

Sorry I missed this post. I still love the Luganos. They handled well throughout the winter, and I have had lots of compliments on them. The weather took at turn for the worse recently, so I've still got them on for the moment. I'll probably make the switch back to 21"s the first week in April. Feel free to reach for me any time if you have questions.