Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would Tesla do the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade on a Model S with a salvage title?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In theory, Tesla publicly states that any kind of DC charging is disabled for salvage/unsupported vehicles. In practice, I’ve seen only a few cases where more DC charging than SC was disabled. I don’t know about the US, but in the EU Tesla could run into trouble if they disabled CCS, for instance.
Third party DCFC was typically disabled on MS/MX vehicles. With the 3/Y left to use third party DCFC.

Some say this was due to how older Gen vehicles would handle the DC ‘flag’ in the config. Someone more educated than I could chime in on this.

Third party DCFC was typically disabled on MS/MX vehicles. With the 3/Y left to use third party DCFC.
Well, I know that in MS/MX you had to EXPLICITLY enable 3rd party DCFC with a flag. If you never enabled it (which comes down to you never bought the chademo charger), it was disabled right from the start, and nobody would enable it for you.

If the entries in the gateway changed and now it’s different, I don’t know.

Well, I know that in MS/MX you had to EXPLICITLY enable 3rd party DCFC with a flag. If you never enabled it (which comes down to you never bought the chademo charger), it was disabled right from the start, and nobody would enable it for you.
I don't think that is true. People that didn't buy a CHAdeMO adapter often borrowed one and had no problems using it. (As well as using ones installed on chargers like EVgo does.)

As far as I know the only case where that was true was the original Model S 40/60s, where they didn't come with Supercharging enabled. At which point you had to pay to enable CHAdeMO and/or Supercharging.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I don't think that is true. People that didn't buy a CHAdeMO adapter often borrowed one and had no problems using it. (As well as using ones installed on chargers like EVgo does.)

As far as I know the only case where that was true was the original Model S 40/60s, where they didn't come with Supercharging enabled. At which point you had to pay to enable CHAdeMO and/or Supercharging.

fastcharge 0/1 disables/enables SC.
otherfastchargeallowed 0/1 disables/enables 3rd party DCFC.

As far as I know, except for those cars without SC enabled, all the others had fastcharge 1/otherfastchargeallowed 0.

You can see an example internal.dat here:
Lunars/tesla github

As I mentioned, this is how things were before. I don’t know if something changed during the last year, or how it is for the newest MS/MX.

As far as I know, except for those cars without SC enabled, all the others had fastcharge 1/otherfastchargeallowed 0.

You can see an example internal.dat here:
Lunars/tesla github

As I mentioned, this is how things were before. I don’t know if something changed during the last year, or how it is for the newest MS/MX.
As I said people have been borrowing and using CHAdeMO adapters for years, and they worked with no problem. So having other fast charging disabled was not standard for most Model S/Xs.

Not sure about this. I have seen many examples of people buying the chademo adapter and having problems with activation. I don’t know if the borrowers got in touch with the service center for this, or if they had previously used a chademo adapter, or if their car was used…

I would tend to think that otherfastcharge was disabled by default in most cases, but maybe not all. I’m really sure it was not enabled by default in a widespread manner. Maybe old vehicles had it enabled, and newer ones had it disabled. Maybe it depends on the year. I’m not sure, but most vehicles I had seen had otherfastcharge 0 and fastcharge 1 (unless they were salvage, then fastcharge was set to 0 with a log entry visible in the internal.dat).

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
It happened before I bought the car, but it "had" a base model 60, and the service center installed a new revision 90 which I was driving around on for a couple months after buying the car. Then they "fixed their mistake" and locked it to 60, so I'm now carting around 50% extra battery weight for zero benefit and the range is being held for ransom.

I wonder if you can pay ransom and how much? Similar to my SR

Unfortunately you need root to do this.
Hi may i ask for help?

My car is „salvage” i bough it half Year ago old owner made some „upgrades” as propably root bcs my car no connected on tesla servers i have no updates no app no new maps
Propably he did it bcs he wanted to safe free superchargers

Can i make something i wanna use app Tesla but i dont wanna lost a Superchargers

I waiting for Fakra cable and Toolbox 2.1

Hi may i ask for help?

My car is „salvage” i bough it half Year ago old owner made some „upgrades” as propably root bcs my car no connected on tesla servers i have no updates no app no new maps
Propably he did it bcs he wanted to safe free superchargers

Can i make something i wanna use app Tesla but i dont wanna lost a Superchargers

I waiting for Fakra cable and Toolbox 2.1
Hi Chris,

The expert here is @LayZ. Updates are going to be limited if you want to keep root and supercharging. Also, in some places superchsrging can be disabled by hardware directly from the supercharger, as @wk057 reported (it would be great to habe an update on this).

Are you in Poland? Is your vehicle European? If so, I’d suggest that you go to a service center and do the HV inspection and the superchsrging reinstate inspection. Then you’ll get everything you want without rooting.

Hi Chris,

The expert here is @LayZ. Updates are going to be limited if you want to keep root and supercharging. Also, in some places superchsrging can be disabled by hardware directly from the supercharger, as @wk057 reported (it would be great to habe an update on this).

Are you in Poland? Is your vehicle European? If so, I’d suggest that you go to a service center and do the HV inspection and the superchsrging reinstate inspection. Then you’ll get everything you want without rooting.
But propably if i do HV i spection i will lost Free Supercharging
Anyway my car come from USA but it is converse to EU + CSS

I dont know How can i check the root
I wanna update soft manualy but i dont know how…. Have we got any tutorial? (Toolbox)

Somebody say that we can have a root and tesla app together

My car was charge last Year very well and for all SC