Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would a Performance with 18" aero wheels (e.g. FastEV EV01+) and LRR tires be like a LR in economy and range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would a Performance with 18" aero wheels (e.g. FastEV EV01+) and LRR tires be like a LR in economy and range?

Currently, for those eligible for the full tax credit rebate, the Model 3 Performance costs less than the Model 3 LR. So someone buying a Performance and installing 18" aero wheels and LRR tires might still come out close to even, but get the non-wheel/tire features of the Performance.

No, the Performance may have slightly better range due to the higher capacity battery, 82kWh vs 79 kWh.

Efficiency should be identical other than the brakes. The Performance model has floating rotors which theoretically should offer better efficiency, but brake drag is dominated by the calipers and I've never seen any data comparing them.

Reactions: DuncanM
I have forged Aero wheels on my 2022 M3P and I am getting quite good range, even despite the cold temps currently. #sleeper 😎
20240109_082143.jpg

Currently, for those eligible for the full tax credit rebate, the Model 3 Performance costs less than the Model 3 LR. So someone buying a Performance and installing 18" aero wheels and LRR tires might still come out close to even, but get the non-wheel/tire features of the Performance.
2022 Model 3 Performance with T Sportline TS5 wheels and 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires. At 225 wh/mi lately I am getting closer to RWD efficiency than stock LR efficiency.

IMG_2627.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg
IMG_2544.jpeg

Reactions: PerformanceEV
2022 Model 3 Performance with T Sportline TS5 wheels and 235/45/18 Hankook iON EVO AS tires. At 225 wh/mi lately I am getting closer to RWD efficiency than stock LR efficiency.

View attachment 1022823View attachment 1022824View attachment 1022825
Hello @mpgxsvcd

I have a 2021 Model 3 Performance and was very interested to read your post, thank you. I am looking to change the wheels and tyres to a smaller diameter from my current 20 inch Uberturbines for 4 main reasons:

1. To improve ride quality
2. Cheaper replacement premium tyres - £250 a corner for Michelin PS4S tyres, no thank you! I am also interested to try the Hankook iON EVO tyres
3. Increased range through better efficiency (less charging at Superchargers when I'm doing 400-500 miles in day for work)
4. Reduce risk of kerbing wheels - I kerbed an Uberturbine the day I picked the car up!

Please can you provide some context around your achieved figure of 225 wh/mi on your new wheel and tyre setup? i.e what were you achieving with the Uberturbines previously with the same driving style and on what tyres? Is this figure achieved only using chill mode and what driving types - urban only or some motorway 80 mph?

My long term average consumption is 334 wh/mi. This is over 12,159 miles since 27/09/2023 - a lot of my mileage is on the motorway.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Hello @mpgxsvcd

I have a 2021 Model 3 Performance and was very interested to read your post, thank you. I am looking to change the wheels and tyres to a smaller diameter from my current 20 inch Uberturbines for 4 main reasons:

1. To improve ride quality
2. Cheaper replacement premium tyres - £250 a corner for Michelin PS4S tyres, no thank you! I am also interested to try the Hankook iON EVO tyres
3. Increased range through better efficiency (less charging at Superchargers when I'm doing 400-500 miles in day for work)
4. Reduce risk of kerbing wheels - I kerbed an Uberturbine the day I picked the car up!

Please can you provide some context around your achieved figure of 225 wh/mi on your new wheel and tyre setup? i.e what were you achieving with the Uberturbines previously with the same driving style and on what tyres? Is this figure achieved only using chill mode and what driving types - urban only or some motorway 80 mph?

My long term average consumption is 334 wh/mi. This is over 12,159 miles since 27/09/2023 - a lot of my mileage is on the motorway.
I have a 25 mile loop around our beltway that I test my car on. The road is limited to 60 mph because of construction so I make sure my GPS measured average speed is 60 mph.

I have switched to some super efficient 20” Aero wheels lately with the Hankook iON EVO AS tires. I am seeing ridiculously good efficiency now even with these 20” Aero wheels.

I have averaged 259 wh/mi for almost 25,000 miles even with all of the Drag racing I do. The key is really in keeping your speed down when cruising and using an ultra efficient all season tire especially if you don’t see a lot of snow.

I tested the 20” Aero wheels on my 25 mile loop last night and got 194 wh/mi @ 60 mph average speed. For reference the UberHeavy wheels and PZ4 summer tires did 247 wh/mi in this test a couple of years ago.

This test is at lower speeds than typical US highway speeds. If you drive much faster than this the tires will matter less and wind resistance will become the only relevant factor.

IMG_5370.jpeg
IMG_5390.jpeg

Reactions: PerformanceEV
Thank you, that's really helpful.

Please can you advise the name and spec of your super efficient 20” Aero wheels you are trying? How do they compare to the 18" setup you were trying?

What size Hankook iON EVO AS tires have you gone with? The same 235/35 R20 as supplied on the Uberturbine factory wheels?

If I kept the Uberturbines and switched from the factory 235/35 R20 Pirelli P Zero Elect tyres to the Hankook Ion EVO summer tyres in the same size, would I see a big improvement in efficiency on 70-80mph motorway journeys? (I'm in the UK) Or would switching the wheels make a bigger difference?

Unfortunately I seem to have suffered uneven wear on the rear nearside tyre, which is frustrating as I had a four wheel alignment done in the last 6 months! The inner edge of the rear nearside tyre is worn to ~1mm but the rest of the tyre is around 3-3.5mm. The rear offside tyre is worn to under 3mm on both edges but is still around 4mm in the middle. The front tyres are both on around 4mm on the edges and 5.5mm on the middle.

I was running the tyres at around 37-38 psi because I read a post on here about improving ride comfort by dropping the tyre pressures, however I wonder if this has potentially contributed towards the tyre wear on the edges?

was running the tyres at around 37-38 psi because I read a post on here about improving ride comfort by dropping the tyre pressures, however I wonder if this has potentially contributed towards the tyre wear on the edges?

Under inflation tends to result in excess wear on the outside edges of the tyres. It also results in higher energy consumption while driving.