Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worn frayed seat belts warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a used MS 2016 with only 42,000 km.
1 of the things I didn't check until pickup was the seat belts.

Front belts, both passenger and driver side are frayed on the edges, threads showing.
(my 3 series bmw when I sold it was 110,000km and I remembered not a single frayed thread)
Is it covered with the 4 years Tesla warranty or do I need to pay for it?

I had similar situation and service told not covered. I have exactly the same age European car that has no such issue with seatbelts at all! My Model S is 2016, now with 78k km, no more warranty. But you can try to see what goes on in Asia.

My BMW M3 had frayed drivers belt as well. BMW denied warranty coverage. I even tried to bring up a safety issue and they said no. It was a wear and tear item. So other manufacturers do have this issue as well.

In some states (Virginia, at least) the seat belts are part of an annual safety inspection. Some inspectors are more stringent than others, but I had a car (non-Tesla) that failed inspection due to a fraying driver's side seat belt.

I had removed the fuzz with a razor a few times, but it continued to fray. I would recommend "cauterizing" the frayed ends with a lighter after cutting the loose ends short. This should help prevent further fraying.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4 and croman
Bought a used MS 2016 with only 42,000 km.
1 of the things I didn't check until pickup was the seat belts.

Front belts, both passenger and driver side are frayed on the edges, threads showing.
(my 3 series bmw when I sold it was 110,000km and I remembered not a single frayed thread)
Is it covered with the 4 years Tesla warranty or do I need to pay for it?

BosHK - how did this get resolved? I brought my 2014 Model S into the HK service center today and awaiting an answer from them.

There was a service bulletin back in 2015 to fix the front seat belts for squeaking by installing a plastic guide on the trim where the belt comes out of the car. On my car it appears the edge of this plastic guide is causing the abnormal wear.