Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are thinking of Hall Effect sensors, why not use them (or other inductive type sensors) everywhere, so there is absolutely no direct interface with any electrical wiring of the car, negating Tesla arguing that a mod to the car is responsible for a component failure?

1) Still requires physical connection to ground and 12V.

2) Cost/complexity.

3) Literally millions of cars and trucks have wiring harnesses tapped into their tailights. Most commonly for trailer towing. I've even had the car manufacturer's own trailer harness consist of tap-a-con style connectors (the kind you squeeze over a wire and it self-cuts the insulation, but not the conductor wire strands).

4) Artsci's own lighted T taps into those same wires. With the same tap-a-con style connectors (recommended in the instructions, not supplied).

5) The Magnuson-Moss Federal Law. An auto manufacturer can't just 'say' an item caused a failure not covered by warranty. They have to prove it. In court. That law even states that any ambiguity must automatically result in a ruling against the writer of the warranty and that such rulings normally include the writer of the warranty paying the consumer's court costs. Otherwise, the entire 3rd party auto parts industry would not exist.

Having listed all of those cons... I'm open to the idea. It would be rather elegant. :)

So... swegman... What upcharge would you pay for hall effect sensor on every wire, knowing that you'd also have to pay (or self install) for the additional 12V wire as well? What total price delta would be acceptable for this option?

Last edited:
Coding for "TESLA EAT" and several other suggestions now complete in the prototype. (although, to be clear, this will require charge sensing and that's still under discussion. Still very cute though...)

Bluetooth interface completely done. This was lifted from another project and took only slight adjustments.

I know I keep promising video... but it turns out to be VERY difficult to capture this. Silver object, lights inside it ranging from very dim to very bright, etc, etc. I'm not an expert videographer... and I'm not trying to be perfect on the video... just trying to get something that doesn't "blow out" the letters, so you can see what's going on.

Hand-Built prototype Video. Disclaimers:

1) There are only TWO NeoPixels per letter. Production will have FIVE to EIGHT per letter.

2) The "Diffuser Material" is on the back of the whole applique, not 'flush' with the surface as it will be in production.

3) EVERYTHING is subject to change. No part of the design is settled.

4) This video shows a mix of modes that are likely to be "out of the box" mixed with modes that are likely to be "Bluetooth Only". See disclaimer (3).

5) See disclaimer (3).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hand-Built prototype Video. Disclaimers:

1) There are only TWO NeoPixels per letter. Production will have FIVE to EIGHT per letter.

2) The "Diffuser Material" is on the back of the whole applique, not 'flush' with the surface as it will be in production.

3) EVERYTHING is subject to change. No part of the design is settled.

4) This video shows a mix of modes that are likely to be "out of the box" mixed with modes that are likely to be "Bluetooth Only". See disclaimer (3).

5) See disclaimer (3).

Wow fantastic. Iit would be nice to have the fade effect pulse green when charging. Maybe it could be added for those that wanted to go through the extra work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow fantastic. Iit would be nice to have the fade effect pulse green when charging. Maybe it could be added for those that wanted to go through the extra work.

If, and I do mean IF, we come up with a way to sense charging that's non-intrusive and works... then charging could be BT selectable to:

TESLA fading to __S__ in green

... or ...

T, E, S, L, A, slightly longer pause, E, A, T, all in green.

or...??? Keep those suggestions coming!

Danal, I knew I wanted to try this lift gate appliqué back when artsci first described it, but now that I see your prototype I have no doubts! I love this! I agree that the final version needs more neopixels--you mention 5 to 8 per letter. Perhaps 9 would work (3 rows of 3)?

Instead of pulling a constant 12V wire, would it be possible to charge up a small battery pack to tide the system over until the interrupted 12V feed is available again?

The plan is to do the first installations at the Hamilton, New Jersey supercharger, date to be determined but likely in early March. It will be a group event with at least 3 installations, my car, SUPRKAR's and perhaps Swegman's. We'll shoot video and stills of the installation.

If others in the region want to participate or observe, the more the merrier. The installation will be about the same complexity as the rear lighted T. The trick will be to remove the stock appliqué without damaging it.

Once we have the installation procedures pinned down we'll begin shipping appliqués to everyone who's ordered. As I noted in an earlier post the greatest constraint, at least initially, will be obtaining the appliqués from Tesla, which are in short supply.

As soon as we've pinned down final costs we'll begin taking orders on TMC Marketplace (TMC gets a commission on each sale which I think is my obligation to the site, as without TMC this would not have been possible). First preference will be given to those who have already expressed an intent to purchase on this thread.

Last edited: