Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Danal and I are now working together on a neopixel solution for lighting the applique letters. I appreciate him offering his knowledge and expertise to assist with this project -- it's yet another tribute to the talent and cooperative spirit of Tesla owners.

In brief the neopixels will make possible any number of features that standard one-color LEDS won't. For example, when the car is put into reverse, the light could change from red to white and start to strobe for a back-up warning. A blue-tooth remote can be created for other effects that an owner might want. Also the default color of the letters could the owners's preference, with the owner, of course, accepting responsiblility for any legal requirements. And the letters could light sequentially to indicate a turn, as some have suggested. And all of this could be customized by the owner. If someone wants only red, they can have it, configured the way they want it.

This is going to be great fun! Suggestions are welcome. This of course is calling attention to TESLA as a brand and as an innovator. Use your imagination.

Last edited:
NeoPixel prototype build completed as of Jan 26 2015. Hand-built prototype; fully functional. Video soon.

What do you folks want it to do? Be creative. At the same time, realize that ONLY the following things can 'trigger' an action:
1) Running lights on/off
2) Brake lights
3) Turn Signals
4) Reverse lights​

In combination with above:
5) G-Forces during braking (can vary brightness or flash rate)
6) G-Forces at other times (cornering). What should this vary?​

7) Commands issued from a Bluetooth device (smartphone/tablet/phablet, BT 4.0 or above, both Apple iOS and Android fully supported)​

Scrolling/sequencing is easy; at the same time there are only five letters for sequences. Let's hear those creative ideas!!

Danal

NeoPixel prototype build completed as of Jan 26 2015. Hand-built prototype; fully functional. Video soon.

What do you folks want it to do? Be creative. At the same time, realize that ONLY the following things can 'trigger' an action:
1) Running lights on/off
2) Brake lights
3) Turn Signals
4) Reverse lights​

5) G-Forces during braking (can vary brightness or flash rate)
6) G-Forces at other times (cornering). What should this vary?​

7) Commands issued from a Bluetooth device (smartphone/tablet/phablet, BT 4.0 or above, both Apple iOS and Android fully supported)​

Scrolling/sequencing is easy; at the same time there are only five letters for sequences. Let's hear those creative ideas!!

Danal

Here's one idea:

General running: dim red light
Hard braking (g-force measured): flashing bright red light
Slow braking (g-force measured): solid bright red light
Left indicator: Letters light up in this order A-L-S-E-T in orange/yellow (about a fifth to two-fifths of a second each letter)
Right indicator: same as left but in T-E-S-L-A order
Reverse: bright white light

OK, that's a very basic idea. I'll get more creative after thinking about it.

Oh here's another one. While parked (not moving), have the letters randomly light up in dim red. Not sure if we can know if not moving though...

Edit: a fun one for braking would be a sequence of "S", then "ESL", then "TESLA", then "ESL", then "S", then "ESL" (and so on).

Last edited:
Thanks zax123, you've pretty much nailed what the prototype does. It does one more thing: The reverse light comes on low intensity white on all letters, then goes full bright center out (TESLA TESLA TESLA TESLA) and stays full bright for a while, then repeats. I'll get more detailed on the timings and other behaviors later.

It is easy to tell if the vehicle is totally non-moving via the 3-axis accelerometer. It is impossible to tell if it is in Park, or any other logical transmission equivalent status. So the NeoPixels could go semi-random if the car sat still for a given amount of time, or similar. This could be configured on/off via BlueTooth (as could any other behavior or color).

All right folks, zax123 has thrown down the gauntlet with a very nice post... let's hear those ideas!

Thanks zax123, you've pretty much nailed what the prototype does. It does one more thing: The reverse light comes on low intensity white on all letters, then goes full bright center out (TESLA TESLA TESLA TESLA) and stays full bright for a while, then repeats. I'll get more detailed on the timings and other behaviors later.

It is easy to tell if the vehicle is totally non-moving via the 3-axis accelerometer. It is impossible to tell if it is in Park, or any other logical transmission equivalent status. So the NeoPixels could go semi-random if the car sat still for a given amount of time, or similar. This could be configured on/off via BlueTooth (as could any other behavior or color).

All right folks, zax123 has thrown down the gauntlet with a very nice post... let's hear those ideas!

Hmmm... could the logic for "parked" be: the car is not moving AND the brake lights aren't on? Can you do logic like that?

Hmmm... could the logic for "parked" be: the car is not moving AND the brake lights aren't on?
Great idea.

Can you do logic like that?
Absolutely. This is all my custom code, so ANYTHING can be combined, sequenced, etc, as long as the inputs exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Two words - Knight Rider :)

When? Meaning, what inputs and G readings?

Now that the ability to edit old posts has been taken from us, I can't edit the posted list but please note that i have you on my own private list.

urgh, so much for keeping threads organized ;_;

Also the ideas people are coming up with are really amazing! Are there possibilities for other colors other than red/white? I know there's legal rules about white vs red lights, but what about other colors? And can the neopixels do it natively or do you need extra material for other colors? Just curious. I'm picturing some awesome purple, blue or green light. Would look cool while charging or parked. Or maybe driving at night.

Don't know if I'll be able to pony up the cash for this awesome mod, but once I see how they turn out I may have to!

how much for the Da'Artscinal rear applique? sounds pretty slick! and can I get on the list (depending on price)

haven't added anything to my S for a while besides firmware and lots of tires

night rider - back and forth T, E ,S, L, A, / A, L, S, E, T in dim red while parked maybe? (1 letter at a time w/ a tiny overlap of the last letter fading)

My vote (in addition to options already discussed):
Hard braking (g-force measured): Bright red light with a strobe white flash. There are a lot of traffic lights that do the same--Red for stop, and strobe white flash to get the driver's attention.

Random Mode Command from Bluetooth device (to only work while not moving and break light is not on): cycle through 1) off, 2) strobe several colors, 3) solid one color, 4) most letters solid one color, but one (random) letter change color, ...

Question:
Can control of the rear lighted T be added to the controller?

My vote (in addition to options already discussed):
Hard braking (g-force measured): Bright red light with a strobe white flash. There are a lot of traffic lights that do the same--Red for stop, and strobe white flash to get the driver's attention.

Random Mode Command from Bluetooth device (to only work while not moving and break light is not on): cycle through 1) off, 2) strobe several colors, 3) solid one color, 4) most letters solid one color, but one (random) letter change color, ...

Question:
Can control of the rear lighted T be added to the controller?

Not possible unless we change the LEDs to Neopixels That might be next once we are successful with the appliqué. Some effects might work but not the full range.

Last edited: