Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work on lighting lift gate appliqué begins

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking the rear lighted T would be simply pulling off the existing emblem drilling a hole for the wires fro the new lighted T (sealing it with silicon or something), re attaching it all, and then fish the wires down to the license plate lights and tap into that power source....

Fishing the wire would be a real challenge through the small hole and spaces. Conceptually it sounds easy. In reality it's very hard. But there's a part that runs the length of the rear appliqué and holds the two license plate lamp assemblies. If that can be removed easily we have a much simpler solution and probably the room for the additional electronics we'll need for the light to brighten when the brakes are applied. I'm going to check that ASAP.

We're still waiting for the hardware that will cut the TESLA letters out of the chrome appliqué. In the meantime I tried to replicate what the effect might be by applying reflective material to the letters. The first version is a bit rough around the edges but I'm working on another that should be much more finished. At any rate are a few photos of the effect:

_DSC4651.JPG

_DSC4650.JPG

I like it! How did you do that?

I had some red reflective tape in my workshop so I applied it and cut out the letters with an Exacto knife, stripping off the excess. Thus the rather crude edges.

The next version, which I've finished, was done with red reflective pinstripe tape, which is the precise width of the letters. So the edges are much more finished and precise. I'll be attaching that appliqué to my car tomorrow and I'll shoot some more photos tomorrow night.

I like this project a lot, so when I saw this Sylvania MOSAIC LED ambiance lighting kit at Costco in Canada, going for 32$, I bought two. They are quite versatile, with a remote control to change colors (15 colors + white) , intensity as well as effects like fading, strobing, dimming. It comes with a wall transformer that feeds 12V 6 amps into a small (5cm x 3.5cm x 2cm), detached control module to which the LED stripes connects.
Each stripe is 60 cm (23.5 inches) long with a diode every 5cm (2 inches). It is back by 3M adhesive tape and molded in plastic, so it should be water resistant.

Let me know if you'd like pictures of the different parts...

Last edited:
Here's the new version in daylight. It highlights the letters during the day and they'll light up at night with any light source from the rear, such as headlights of trailing cars. Will post some photos of it lit up tonight.

_DSC4645.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I like this project a lot, so when I saw this Sylvania MOSAIC LED ambiance lighting kit at Costco in Canada, going for 32$, I bought two. They are quite versatile, with a remote control to change colors (15 colors + white) , intensity as well as effects like fading, strobing, dimming. It comes with a wall transformer that feeds 12V 6 amps into a small (5cm x 3.5cm x 2cm), detached control module to which the LED stripes connects.
Each stripe is 60 cm (23.5 inches) long with a diode every 5cm (2 inches). It is back by 3M adhesive tape and molded in plastic, so it should be water resistant.

Let me know if you'd like pictures of the different parts...

Looks like a fancied up LED strip. Have to look at specs to see how thick it is -- as there's not much space behind the appliqué we'll need a very thin light source.

Now that the rear lighted T is about to go into production I'm returning my attention to lighting the lift gate appliqué. I found today a company here in Baltimore that can laser cut the TESLA letters out of the appliqué (PCS Engineering was a complete bust on that score). I few weeks ago I also found a source for the hardware to light the letters from behind. They'll work the same way as the lighted T. Red to match the running lights, brighter red to match the brake lights

I have seen this type of light for other cars that glow white then turn red when brakes are applied. I always wondered what they did to do that. Pernaps your contact in China knows.

I'm thinking we can provide white or red as options. Red would work with the brake lights, white perhaps with an on/off controller. But first I just have to get one to two made.