Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless Charging Pad Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I would like to purchase the Nomad wireless charging pad. i want to use 1 usb port in front for USB drive to play music. if i use only 1 port for the wireless charging pad then wireless charging will become very slow if i connect both phones simultaneously. how can i connect the wires to the 12V Cigarette lighter port in model 3. I can purchase the fast charging Dual USB port socket for 12V and can install the wireless charging pad

I would like to know how to run the wires from the front panel to the 12V panel

Can anyone kindly help me

There used to be a video showing how to route the wires to the cig lighter in the center console. It involved removing the side panel. It wasn't destructive and looked simple, but I cannot find it on youtube. The only thing you had to do is file a little notch on a bit of the side panel plastic on its interior. No changes to the exterior required. It was really elegant. I wish it was still available.

By memory from seeing the video (but I won't get to do it until this weekend as my new MCR P3D+ (delivered today) is over at OCD for a full paint correction and cQuartz treatment):

Pull the side trim from the driver's and passenger's sides of the center console (just pops out laterally).
Use a Torx screwdriver to remove 6-7 screws holding the underlying metal brackets from both sides of the center console.
Remove the brackets.
Get long USB extension cables (I have 1 meter ones in hand) and a low profile 2 port 12V adapter (should be 2A per port--10 watts @ 5V for each port). Anker makes good ones.
Hook up the 2 cables to the Nomad pad.
At the very front of the side rails for the phone space in the center console, use a small pair of diagonal cutters to cut small slots in the underlying material to accommodate the extension cables.
Adjust the length of the cables up front and set the Nomad charger into place.
Run the cables (1 on either side back) to the rear compartment along the sides of the center console where the metal brackets sit.
Use small pieces of tape to secure.
At the rear compartment with the 12V outlet, bring the extension cables back into the space--I recall seeing a small removable stopper or rubber pad.
Connect the cables to the adapter.
Test it out.
Dress out the cables.
Reinstall the side brackets with the Torx screws--be sure to not crush the USB extension cables.
Snap the side trim back on.

Reactions: GPinzone