Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter wheels/tires/chains for Model S - $1,000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ChadS

Last tank of gas: March 2009
Jul 16, 2009
Redmond, WA
Winter wheels with good tires - $1,000 - includes chains! In Issaquah, WA.

This picture is not the actual wheels - it's somebody else's car, just showing what the wheels look like on an S:

22VJHbbnnbPX.jpg

The Wheels

They are a "square" (all the same size) set of 19" "split spoke" wheels. Two of these have a tiny bit of rash, nothing serious. (Rash is easy to spot on the two tires in the foreground. Sorry the wheels are filthy!)

The wheels include Tesla TMPS sensors (the newer ones that work with Model S over VIN 52k, or something like that).

20180916_174123-jpg.335593

The Tires

The tires are Tesla's Sottozero 3 "performance winter" tires, size 245/45R19. Despite the winter name (which means they don't turn in to blocks at low temperatures), Tire Rack test results show they work pretty well year-round; my wife had a set and used them that way. This set came from my P90DL; I had a 21" summer set so this was a winter set I had put on just for last season. They didn't get used much, so they have 8/32" tread left at all measurements (inside, center, outside on all four tires).

This tire image is from Tesla; ignore the wheels:
1091727-00-B_0.jpg

HERE are the Pirelli Sottozero 3 tires on Tesla's web site.

The Chains

I will throw in a set of unused (though I did try them on) snow chains for the rear tires. They were Tesla's recommended chains for the Model S before they started selling the far more expensive Trak system. HERE is a detailed thread that talks about them.

img_5150-jpg.11973

Last edited: