Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Winter tire recommendations

What is your plan for winter tires?

• Sticking with all-seasons

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Looking into the Pirelli set offered by Tesla

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • Looking into the Nokian studded set offered by Tesla

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Looking at another brand

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I found the answer for my 1st question.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s are summer tires according to their official site:

I wonder why don't they provide some all season tires.
Pirelli only recently came out with 21" winters. 19" have an all-season option, but it's ambiguous and by region. Unless you head to Tahoe, you probably don't need winters or even all-seasons. Most owners with 21" get a 19" or 20" after-market set of wheels for winter tires. Check the Signature Wheel vendor thread for one good option.

Attachments

• Signature Wheels.jpeg
    Signature Wheels.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 153
Picked up my Model S LR yesterday. :cool:

This is a 19" Square setup for the refreshed Model S.

Went straight to my garage to install the winter wheels. Was snowing and the roads were a mess so please excuse the dirty photos. :rolleyes: Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

They delivered the car to Montreal, Canada with P Zero high performance summer tires in the dead of winter believe it or not. Personally I prefer this as I always use dedicated winters.

Everything fit like a glove, no issues at all, plenty of clearance every where. I initially purchased 20mm spacers for the rear however the tires did stick out to far by about 10mm so I elected to use none at the end of the day. The rear wheel without spacers is about 10mm inward on the car compared to stock however not really noticeable IMHO and intend on leaving as is.

Here is what was used for my "square" winter wheel/tire setup

Picked up the Tesla BT TPMS sensors At Tesla
Using stock front size all around 255/45 19 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 SUV
RTX Spider wheels. (# 082737) Spider - Gloss Black
Center Caps, Why 20?, needed 4 for the Y also so I used 8 already and good to have spares. Centre Caps
Gorilla "The System" Black lug nuts Lug Nuts

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Went straight to my garage to install the winter wheels. Was snowing and the roads were a mess so please excuse the dirty photos. :rolleyes: Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.

They delivered the car to Montreal, Canada with P Zero high performance summer tires in the dead of winter believe it or not. Personally I prefer this as I always use dedicated winters.

Everything fit like a glove, no issues at all, plenty of clearance every where. I initially purchased 20mm spacers for the rear however the tires did stick out to far by about 10mm so I elected to use none at the end of the day. The rear wheel without spacers is about 10mm inward on the car compared to stock however not really noticeable IMHO and intend on leaving as is.

Center Caps, Why 20?, needed 4 for the Y also so I used 8 already and good to have spares. Centre Caps

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Thanks for posting!

So to be clear, you went with square 19x8.5, with a 35 offset?

This is exactly the setup I have been considering, as it seems the best compromise to maintain a square setup, but I’ve been waiting for someone to report back. I’m glad to hear it worked well. Sounds like no spacers required, and it seems to look good! Any issues with clearance on brake dust shields or anything else like that? I’d heard some rumblings on that.

The fact the rears sit a little further inside the fender isn’t all bad, as it may reduce rock throwing, as long as it doesn’t look goofy.

Great info!

Reactions: impastu

IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Put those Hakkas on my Rover and some of the best winter tires available.

Why does it appear that only one portion of your tail lights is lit?

I think I found the answer for my 1st question.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s are summer tires according to their official site:

I wonder why don't they provide some all season tires.
Michelin does have all seasons that just came out in the 21 Arachnids size, with the slight caveat that the rears are 295/35/21 and not 295/30/21.

I just had them installed yesterday and am happy with them. So now I'm running Michelin PS 4 All Seasons in 265/35/21 and 295/35/21 on the stock Arachnids. Will likely run these year round until I wanna spring for another 21" rim set for the PS4 summers that only have 250 miles on them.

ETA: @Hayseed_MS - not sure if you saw my post in the delivery update main thread, but the speedo was off by minimal amounts, mostly at higher speeds. Unscientific testing with my wife at constant speed next to me, but at 30, I read 30, 60 I read 59, and 70 I read 68. Not bad.

PXL_20211231_215615320.jpg

Michelin does have all seasons that just came out in the 21 Arachnids size, with the slight caveat that the rears are 295/35/21 and not 295/30/21.

I just had them installed yesterday and am happy with them. So now I'm running Michelin PS 4 All Seasons in 265/35/21 and 295/35/21 on the stock Arachnids. Will likely run these year round until I wanna spring for another 21" rim set for the PS4 summers that only have 250 miles on them.

ETA: @Hayseed_MS - not sure if you saw my post in the delivery update main thread, but the speedo was off by minimal amounts, mostly at higher speeds. Unscientific testing with my wife at constant speed next to me, but at 30, I read 30, 60 I read 59, and 70 I read 68. Not bad.

View attachment 750812
Do you get extended range after using all season tires?

Do you get extended range after using all season tires?
Good question. I've heard that A/S can be better for range since they are less sticky, but I don't expect any material change in range with the A/S.I haven't had a chance to run through a charge cycle yet - there was a bunch of snow today so it was a day at home. That said, I think there'll be a lot of other factors at play that might affect range more than the tires (temps being really low right now, etc.).

I can report back if the all seasons materially change range (good or bad), though I am not expecting much.

Reactions: edx1105
My sister has the CrossClimate2’s and they do work very well in snow. Still be careful on ice, I have Michelin X-Ice Snow’s and they work quite a bit better on bare ice. Nordic tires like Nokian, Blizzak, X-Ice , etc come close to studs without the drawbacks. But they will destroy themselves if you leave them on to long when the weather gets stop warm.

• Informative
I decided not to buy a set of winter tires because I can’t find Blizzak tires.
So I decided not to drive the plaid when it snows and just drive one of my other cars.
Come spring I’m gonna order a set of the correct tires.
X-Ice Snow comes in 255/45R19. I went from Blizzak’s to these and I actually like these better. Another great choice is the Nokian Hakka’s R3, they also come in this size. I am hoping you are looking to go to 19’s wheel/tire for winter. I’ve lost several 20-21 wheels to hidden winter potholes. Never had an issue with 19’s and they ride better to boot

• Informative