Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers and de-icing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the TM tech came over to to fix the problem with my wipers, he did open the frunk, removed the cowling (see earlier pic I posted) which simply snaps out, and then removed the cover bolt for the wipes (used a #17 metric wrench, if I recall correctly). Even then, removing the wipers wasn't easy -- they're pressure fit and the spring loading makes them very tight and somewhat difficult to remove. You cannot tilt them upward ala the Windshield Wipus Erectus pic.

In these parts can get wet/melting snow followed by deep freeze, which can encase your wipers in a block of ice. Hopefully it will be possible to chip them out...

+1 Doug_G

I have to agree this wiper design could be a significant problem up here...

I wonder if Tesla has anticipated this issue, and the entire housing for the wiper area is readily serviced by the heat pump. This would make a great deal of sense from an engineering standpoint. If you can't chip them out from their rest position (which may be for aerodynamic reasons), make it so you never need to, with some instant-melt capability. Let's hope for a snowstorm in Boston, so Cinergi can test this out, and film the results!

I believe it was an attempt at humor...perhaps if he'd have typed it in Canadian it would have translated better...

A smiley would have done wonders... Must have hit a nerve.

My concerns about buying a car designed in CA have been longstanding, you would not believe how many times I get asked "but how will it work in WINTER?".

Seeing this questionable design for the wipers is not helping. Blades that cannot be lifted from the windshield will last very few scrapings before being ruined, never mind the edge of the hood, and associated cursing by the owner.

I'll be in Florida next week, so I can hopefully hone my understanding of American humor. :wink:

I would think the cold weather testing would have revealed this shortcoming says the guy in San Diego...

Considering how mild last year's winter was, I am not sure at all. Local conditions can have dramatically different outcomes for the same snow storm. As Doug_G pointed out, southern Quebec and Ontario often have melting snow that freezes solid with temperature drops, or freezing rain that can encase a car in ice. I highly doubt that was tested in Minnesota, but would love to be proven wrong!

Even though the wiper issue was picked up by Soflauthor, I doubt he will have such cold weather issues, and feel that his thread has been... detoured. Mods, if you feel this conversation belongs in a separate thread...

What has Tesla said in response to the cold weather wiper issue?

Other than saying that right now it is what it is and that my detailed recommendation & reasoning has been passed along, nothing. Given my relationship with Tesla, I suspect the right people are aware of it. Whether they do something about it is another question.

- - - Updated - - -

Uh-oh. This is another case of "too smart for its own good". Is there an option to just TELL the car whether you want the lights on or off, so that it doesn't go around automatically changing them?

What, you didn't watch my hour-long 17" touch screen video? :smile:
Everything that I can think of that has an "auto" mode also has an on/off as well. So day/night mode on the touch screen, dome lights, head lights, etc ...

What, you didn't watch my hour-long 17" touch screen video? :smile:
Everything that I can think of that has an "auto" mode also has an on/off as well. So day/night mode on the touch screen, dome lights, head lights, etc ...

I've watched most of your Model S Vids, Ben. Thanks for taking the time to make them. Ive learned a lot just watching. For example, resetting the computer by holding down both scroll wheels. A couple of comments: 1) I hope you don't have to reset too often b/c that would mean it's not one of those "it just works" kind of computers which is what I want 2) it seemed to take a long time before the computer finally rebooted.

Even in Texas when there is an ice day there will be ~4mm of ice coating the car. It's really hard to chip this off the wipers--even when they are easy to get at. I don't see any solution other than a car cover. My concern is that the ice coating will destroy the car cover when you attempt to remove the cover from the car making it kind of an expensive day. Anyone have any experience with this?

With the current pace of climate change, we who live in cold climes won't have to worry about this for very long:)

Hence, our need to get the EV market going!

Even in Texas when there is an ice day there will be ~4mm of ice coating the car. It's really hard to chip this off the wipers--even when they are easy to get at.

Has anyone ever tried a de-icing solution/spray? I wonder if using this every now and again would be safe for the vehicle's paint, etc. I have no experience with such sprays, as I have always left my wipers erect or been able to park under a roof.