Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wiper replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience, wiper blade quality isn't the cause of the chatter. It has always been gunk on the windshield, OR, the blades have sat too long in one position, and aren't flipping back and forth and need to be adjusted manually, with pliers, which can be a pain in the arse.

Reactions: laservet
Curious. I'm still on OEM from Dec. 2020 VIN, and mine are fine. The washer distribution is lousy, but the wipers are fantastic. 18 months, 28k miles.
Maybe they used different blades then.
I don't see Model Y listed in PIAA's 22 page sizing chart. What size PIAA did you get?

Thanks,

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
I didn’t see them either when I looked. Just Model S under the list.
In my experience, wiper blade quality isn't the cause of the chatter. It has always been gunk on the windshield, OR, the blades have sat too long in one position, and aren't flipping back and forth and need to be adjusted manually, with pliers, which can be a pain in the arse.
Mine have sucked from the moment I got the vehicle. It’s only 3-4 months old now. I use my wipers a lot down in South Florida. I also need to find windshield fluid that doesn’t stick out so much when it’s running down my driver’s side door lol.

Uhh...it isn't clear. the "Klar" refers to your "clear" windshield after you use the product.

It's definitely green.
This photo in the fluid gallery makes it look near clear to me. The blue and orange fluid I’ve always used is much more vivid than this.

Attachments

• 8CE24C48-E448-43D7-8B21-D3F8FAE99D3F.jpeg
    8CE24C48-E448-43D7-8B21-D3F8FAE99D3F.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 206
You need to clean the wiper blades as well as the glass for best wiper blade performance. You can place the wiper blades in Service Mode (scroll to the bottom of the Service menu for this setting.) When in service mode you can move the wiper blade arm using your hand (both blades will move in unison.) When you exit Wiper Service Mode the wiper blades will automatically index to the resting position. I clean the OE wiper blades with a paper towel wet with a glass cleaner that contains ammonia (removes dirt and grease.) I sometimes clean the wiper blades a second time with a paper towel and Invisible Glass cleaner (contains isopropyl alcohol.) Do not try this with windshield washer fluid (the blue kind) unless you wear protective gloves as the washer fluid contains methanol to lower the freezing point of the washer fluid. Methanol is highly toxic and can be absorbed through the skin.

CS-AC318-512PIAA Si-Tech Wiper Blade Kit for 2020-2021 Tesla Model

I bought directly from
CS-AC318-512PIAA Si-Tech Wiper Blade Kit for 2020-2021 Tesla Model

I bought directly from cravenspeed.
I’ve just received these from CravenSpeed. I’m curious to know if you applied the silicon prep that came with these blades. Tesla recommends against applying sealants, waxes etc to the windshield. They cause the wipers to chatter which is the reason that I’m replacing my OEM wipers…I’m also stripping off the sealant.

I did, but have mixed feelings about it. I like some degree of hydrophobic treatment on my windshield for heavy rain, but don't want chatter or the haze trail on the back of the wiper stroke. I can get only two out of three. I don't have chatter, but do have a mild haze trail.

One time I polished all of the impurities and imperfections off my windshield with cerium oxide and a polisher. Even cheaper wipers glided across like a skating rink, and there was zero haze trail. I thought I had reached windshield perfection - that is until a heavy rain. The wipers weren't nearly fast enough to deal with the sheet of water on my windshield. It was dangerous.

Mine didn't chatter even with the treatment, but I did have the haze trail. I did have a slight chatter a while ago, but it was only down stroke. When the chatter is in one direction only, just twist the arm a bit to correct it. (It's caused by the wiper being angled towards the direction of the chatter.)

Silicone wipers supposedly leave a bit of a hydrophobic film on the windshield, so I'd probability try them for a while without the treatment, and treat if you decide the windshield is too hydrophilic (drops spread out too far).

Reactions: Jed Clampett
Do any of the PIAA owners have an update about their long-term experiences?

I'm asking because the FarmProject guy reviewed wipers; both new and after 12 months. He liked the PIAA, but he liked the Bosch Icon ones better. The Bosch Icon's do fit on Tesla Model Y: 19OE and 26OE, get the ClearMax 365 version (blue) not the plain version (red), and clip a plastic bit so that it fits:

There is another thread here in TMC that shows how to get the Icons to fit:

Post #18 and #20 for photos.​

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I am thinking of replacing my wipers. They suck and keep smearing the windshield on top of the haze that I have on the windshield. Not sure if it is ingrained in the layers of the windshield but I purchased the Invisible Glass Cleaner Spray and hope that will help with the streaks and haze not he windsheid which look like they are embedded.