Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise - front window at B pillar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 Model 3, I am experiencing wind noises where the driver's window meets the B pillar. Happens only a highway speeds, mostly 70mph+ in windy or semi-windy conditions. Difficult to demonstrate in-city, but it's quite common out of town.

This is the third time the car is going to Tesla for the same issue. The first time, they realigned the glass. The second time they gave me a "goodwill" door seal replacement. I have a video of the issue.

Any idea how to get this fixed properly?

Hi Robert.

I had the same issue.

I bought my car at a time they weren’t doing road tests. Time went by, and I got really busy and was forced to live with the noise.

Last week, I was driving on the highway and something came off a truck and punched my windshield. My insurance company said they’d pay only if I went to the dealer.

Since I was at the dealer, I decided to get this wind noise issue fixed. I finally got the car on a road test and the technician said that the amount of wind noise was excessive.

The technician said there were different adjustments they could try before replacing parts. Unfortunately, I had to pay for an hour of labour, but the wind noise is gone. It’s like I have a different car.

In my case, the window was snug against the seal at the A pillar but as it moved towards the B pillar, the gap grew.
I have no idea why they can’t fix your problem. It seemed like my technician had plenty of experience dealing with this issue.

What are they suggesting now?

Mariano

Reactions: enemji
I went to Tesla last week and they agreed to repair it at no charge. They used a smoke machine to verify the leak, then replaced the door seal and adjusted the window. It seems quiet now, but I haven't encountered any winds yet.

Btw, if your car was under warranty and they charged you for the repair, they most likely violated the warranty agreement. The Tesla documentation specifically states that warranty repairs will be performed at no charge.

I went to Tesla last week and they agreed to repair it at no charge. They used a smoke machine to verify the leak, then replaced the door seal and adjusted the window. It seems quiet now, but I haven't encountered any winds yet.

Btw, if your car was under warranty and they charged you for the repair, they most likely violated the warranty agreement. The Tesla documentation specifically states that warranty repairs will be performed at no charge.

My wind noise was so bad you could hear it at 50km/h.

Fingers crossed that your problem is resolved!

Mariano

The wind noises can be complex and quite difficult to track down.

I haven't used smoke yet and I'd like to try that. Not certain how to do that in my garage. Does their smoke machine blow the smoke, with some force, at the suspect areas? Does it take two people?

I have a 22 Model 3.
Where most of the noise, both sides front seats, was near where your ear is. So it can be quite bothersome. Sometimes no noise noticeable until 50 mph, other times not until 70 mph. I found the rubber door seal was often loose in spots, the glass to rubber wasn't tight enough, and the B pillar rubber had gaps. I was able to totally eliminate the noise on the passnger side. I have a little left at high speeds on the driver's side that I'm still after.

I had Tesla work on it but they did not eliminate it.
They put an entirely new rubber door seal in on both sides under warranty.
I have a YT video about this.

I will outline all the areas to look and how to try to reduce it yourself DIY. But I do recommend using your warranty if you have one and Tesla service is willing.

Steps:

1) Try to find or localize the sound.

There are many methods including smoke. You can simply drive and listen. You can use electrical tape and seal off sections at a time until you find the area. You can have a partner with a blow dryer or other wind source blow at the window while you sit inside. But do your best to find the area(s).

2) Check the fitment of all the rubber seals.

I found much of it loose from the factory and even after Tesla performed service. With a rubber mallet gently tap the rubber going around the door up and into the top and sideways into the B pillar. Then with glasses and good lighting look very closely for fitment. There must be no gaps to the B pillar and there often is. And there must be no gaps to the piece of metal (black on my car) that runs across the roof line just above the windows. That rubber is supposed to fit into those places with no gaps.

3) After refitting all rubber that you see out of place. Now consider tightening the door and window to tighten up the seal of the glass and rubber.

This can be done by moving the door latch inwards. Adjusting the glass inwards. There are very good YT videos including my own on this entire process.

4) The mobile tech told me that I should treat the rubber door seal because it can get stiff.

He suggested non silicone based rubber treatment by Wurt. I haven't bought it yet, expensive, but I'm about to.

5) Check all the seals of the roof glass and window glass for any gaps.

6) In desperation I used a little black weather stripping super adhesive.

Be really careful with that stuff!!!!!
Try to use it in hidden areas. Mask off all glass and painted areas first.
Do this only in desperation.

Keep in mind that sound travels, especially at high speeds. It may be sourced a distance from what you hear, sometimes.

The wind noises can be complex and quite difficult to track down.

I haven't used smoke yet and I'd like to try that. Not certain how to do that in my garage. Does their smoke machine blow the smoke, with some force, at the suspect areas? Does it take two people?

I have a 22 Model 3.
Where most of the noise, both sides front seats, was near where your ear is. So it can be quite bothersome. Sometimes no noise noticeable until 50 mph, other times not until 70 mph. I found the rubber door seal was often loose in spots, the glass to rubber wasn't tight enough, and the B pillar rubber had gaps. I was able to totally eliminate the noise on the passnger side. I have a little left at high speeds on the driver's side that I'm still after.

I had Tesla work on it but they did not eliminate it.
They put an entirely new rubber door seal in on both sides under warranty.
I have a YT video about this.

I will outline all the areas to look and how to try to reduce it yourself DIY. But I do recommend using your warranty if you have one and Tesla service is willing.

Steps:

1) Try to find or localize the sound.

There are many methods including smoke. You can simply drive and listen. You can use electrical tape and seal off sections at a time until you find the area. You can have a partner with a blow dryer or other wind source blow at the window while you sit inside. But do your best to find the area(s).

2) Check the fitment of all the rubber seals.

I found much of it loose from the factory and even after Tesla performed service. With a rubber mallet gently tap the rubber going around the door up and into the top and sideways into the B pillar. Then with glasses and good lighting look very closely for fitment. There must be no gaps to the B pillar and there often is. And there must be no gaps to the piece of metal (black on my car) that runs across the roof line just above the windows. That rubber is supposed to fit into those places with no gaps.

3) After refitting all rubber that you see out of place. Now consider tightening the door and window to tighten up the seal of the glass and rubber.

This can be done by moving the door latch inwards. Adjusting the glass inwards. There are very good YT videos including my own on this entire process.

4) The mobile tech told me that I should treat the rubber door seal because it can get stiff.

He suggested non silicone based rubber treatment by Wurt. I haven't bought it yet, expensive, but I'm about to.

5) Check all the seals of the roof glass and window glass for any gaps.

6) In desperation I used a little black weather stripping super adhesive.

Be really careful with that stuff!!!!!
Try to use it in hidden areas. Mask off all glass and painted areas first.
Do this only in desperation.

Keep in mind that sound travels, especially at high speeds. It may be sourced a distance from what you hear, sometimes.
There's a video where the guy claims to have solved it. He used Silicone. The Tesla Service Tech says do not use silicone based rubber treatment. I'm going to first try the non silicone. But the video is very helpful to get the idea.

Did the window also rattle/bounce off the B-pillar seal when closing the door? Mine did.

That's interesting.
My 22 M3P when I bought it had a bouncing rattling like sound. I had it serviced for this, they never resolved it.
And recently I've been dealing with wind noises towards the B pillar and the top of the driver's side glass.
I only hear the wind at high speeds.
I've "tried everything" and continue to try to refine.

Last edited:
That's interesting.
My 22 M3P when I bought it had a bouncing rattling like sound. I had it serviced for this, they never resolved it.
And recently I've been dealing with wind noises towards the B pillar and the top of the driver's side glass.
I only hear the wind at high speeds.
I've "tried everything" and continue to try to refine.
Another symptom was the ability to slide a thin sheet (used folded over packaging tape) between the glass and seal on the vertical portion cause there was little pressure on the seal. That’s what I think convinced the Service Manager something was wrong.

IMG_1034.jpeg

I’m curious if adjusting the window the same way will take care of your car.

Another symptom was the ability to slide a thin sheet (used folded over packaging tape) between the glass and seal on the vertical portion cause there was little pressure on the seal. That’s what I think convinced the Service Manager something was wrong.

View attachment 979239

I’m curious if adjusting the window the same way will take care of your car.
I adjusted the window and that seal is tight. I pitched the window in a bit and tightened the door closure a bit.

I only notice the wind sound at high speeds and it "sounds like" it comes from near the top by my ear or slightly in front. But I realize noise can be misleading.
I had already had Tesla Mobile Service work on it. They replaced both sides the entire rubber weather stripping.
I could make my long, long list of things I've tried....
Just about every day I try and test...
Still there's a little too much wind noise at high speed sounding like it's in that same spot.

I could now write a book. and I may one day, on chasing wind noises in the Tesla Model 3, but probably applies to all the models. I've kept notes amounting to pages. I've saved the ideas presented in forums like this one. I've published several YouTube videos on Tesla Wind Noise. I've tried everything suggested by everyone. But when I test drive I always have annoying wind noises in the same areas at speeds starting around 55 but clearly at 70 and above. Highway speeds around here.

I did find a few surprises that I've not seen mentioned before. If I can get a handle on those, I'll publish something. Just some odd discoveries at this point. Mind you I've taken everything apart to find this noise source.

But my effort seems to be a case of a step forward and a step backwards.

I've never found "The Problem" as it appears there are layers upon layers of "problems". Many post their solutions to their singular problem. I don't have just one problem, I know that for certain.

Tesla replaced the entire door seals on both front seats and they tightened the doors. That seemed to help for a short time. But the noise has returned. I've reset or carefully repositioned the rubber gasket to seal everywhere. It's fussy and difficult at the B pillar but I went through it. I've tried taping and testing to find sources. Even when I completely taped every single gap, every interface of glass or metal to rubber, on the outside, having to climb into the driver's seat from the passenger side, I still had bothersome high speed noise in the area of the top rear of the window near and sometimes at the B Pillar. I then theorized it was air moving inside the rubber door seal and I started to implement changes to prevent that too. I've used adhesive, I've filled gaps. I've inserted tubes. I've adjusted windows in all ways possible. I've adjusted doors. I bought and applied really expensive rubber treatment recommended by Tesla.

Hopefully I'll come to a full and definitive resolution some day. There has to be cause and effect. I'll find it and solve it.

There were times when it got much better but in trying to get it to stay better and get more reduction, I've made it worse at times. Often the changes I've made "should have" eliminated all wind noise yet I have them. It's very persistent and always sounds to be in the same area.

At the point of effort I'm at now, I'd describe as very frustrating.

Last edited:
2021 Model 3, I am experiencing wind noises where the driver's window meets the B pillar. Happens only a highway speeds, mostly 70mph+ in windy or semi-windy conditions. Difficult to demonstrate in-city, but it's quite common out of town.

This is the third time the car is going to Tesla for the same issue. The first time, they realigned the glass. The second time they gave me a "goodwill" door seal replacement. I have a video of the issue.

Any idea how to get this fixed properly?

Mine is a 2020 3LR (out of warranty by 300 miles)
My passenger side was noisy and then I noticed the drivers side gasket was cracking (second seal) so I paid $280 for a replacement) after the guy left I had to get him to come back because parts of the string were out of track.
Now I notice the wind noise at 60mph so it’s worse than before so I submitted a request and have to approve another charge of $280to schedule service? Which I will fight.
The seal issue for me is it doesn’t reach the glass in the top corner. I know they are going to come back and say “in spec” which they always do and they will not share the criteria for being “in spec”. In spec means whatever they want. Elon should be ashamed. This is getting ridiculous. I’ve had so many little issues on two new cars. My brand new 2023 Y is pretty quiet but has other issues the call In Spec. My 2016 S seems to be a much better built car.

My only thought is somebody’s going to have to make a replacement gasket not Tesla (since they don’t seem capable) or a kit to fix this. You can put according to one tech little strips of felt to push the gasket to the window better. I think he means where the gasket attaches to body. So frustrating I’ve never experienced these wind noises in any of my cars including other electrics I’ve owned. A Chevy Bolt was fine.

Mine is a 2020 3LR (out of warranty by 300 miles)
My passenger side was noisy and then I noticed the drivers side gasket was cracking (second seal) so I paid $280 for a replacement) after the guy left I had to get him to come back because parts of the string were out of track.
Now I notice the wind noise at 60mph so it’s worse than before so I submitted a request and have to approve another charge of $280to schedule service? Which I will fight.
The seal issue for me is it doesn’t reach the glass in the top corner. I know they are going to come back and say “in spec” which they always do and they will not share the criteria for being “in spec”. In spec means whatever they want. Elon should be ashamed. This is getting ridiculous. I’ve had so many little issues on two new cars. My brand new 2023 Y is pretty quiet but has other issues the call In Spec. My 2016 S seems to be a much better built car.

My only thought is somebody’s going to have to make a replacement gasket not Tesla (since they don’t seem capable) or a kit to fix this. You can put according to one tech little strips of felt to push the gasket to the window better. I think he means where the gasket attaches to body. So frustrating I’ve never experienced these wind noises in any of my cars including other electrics I’ve owned. A Chevy Bolt was fine.

I have the 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance. I've put hundred(s) of hours in trying to get rid of this wind noise and I've made great progress!

Most of the wind noise seems to come from the general area of the top corner, against the B pillar (rear end of the window glass). The issue is the seal between the glass and the rubber door surround weatherstripping.

Note that the offending area can move and change with other more gross adjustments. You've got to fine tune the gross adjustments as good as you can get before moving on to the next process that I call, "shimming".

I've made a lot of progress and the driver's side noise is down to the point that now I hear all the other doors/ windows instead of the one right next to my left ear.

If the condition of the rubber is bad, it must be replaced.
But we should all condition that rubber on some kind of regular schedule. Tesla mobile service technician recommended a non silicone treatment. I bought what was recommended by Tesla, Wurts. It's expensive but I'm pulling out all the stops to solve these issues.

What I've observed in my car is that the window has a lot of pre curvature in the non shut non pressured shape. And the door surround rubber weatherstrip attached to the car body is fairly flat. That means the window must flattened out when it is rolled up. This isn't a good idea and a terrible design IMHO. That means that the window needs a lot of pressure to flatten and it's likely there will be spots that don't get a good tight seal. It also might mean that the rubber weatherstripping surround may get unevenly pressured over time may squeeze some areas more than other areas. And you may have to return to the process. Time will tell. The rubber is very solid and very hard, so I hope not.

So I did the following:

I closed the door tighter by adjusting the hook latch in the B pillar inwards several mils. This moves all the glass tighter in against the rubber.
I then tightened the glass somewhat selectively front and back (each has an adjustment screw) by removing the door inner panel and moved the screws out so the top of the glass moved in. This I did in several iterations back and forth front back in out until I got the glass as flat as possible. I kept measuring with the cardboard slip test as described herein.

Finally I came up with a unique "shimming process". I shim the rubber outwards towards the window a few mils at a time and only in areas where the gap is larger and only after doing all the other tightening techniques outlined herein. I believe it is unique. I have not read or watch anyone even thinking of this approach. It took a long time to sort this approach out and a lot of experimentation. But it works. It's tricky and time consuming but it works!

After tightening the door and window. To get the rubber to window tighter in the gross overall sense.

Then I test for any remaining loose sections.

First I used a thin cardboard about the shape of a credit card. I test the fit of the window glass to the rubber. I just slip it in between. If it feels snug it is good, if the cardboard passes easily or goes through, there will be wind noises. I mark the section(s), hopefully just one with removable black electrical tape (it leaves no residue).

I have to get the overall window tight enough so that there are only one or two areas, say 4” more or less in length where the test card is too loose. If there's more areas than that still loose, then go back to gross tightening adjustment measures such as door tightening and window angle adjustment. Do those iteratively until you are down to one or two small areas that need a bit of help.

I shim the rubber out just in those areas. Hopefully just one or two.

I came up with a shimming system.
I take a hacksaw blade and wrap one or two wraps of black Duck Tape around it for the thickness desired. I then tape the blade on the body surface on the edge facing the rubber when removed. If necessary I open the slot in the rubber a bit to fit. If I need a shorter shim, I simply break the blade into shorter sections.

I then press the rubber back into place carefully going over the shim(s). I then reinsert all places where the rubber is supposed to seat.

This process has proved to work quite well.

A word of caution. DO NOT excessively shim. You could possibly force the window to hit the metal half round over the top of the window and break glass. Replacement glass runs around $200-$275, aftermarket or used, if you do it yourself. The newer cars have double glass which is more expensive and more difficult to get a hold of.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: xilex
I have the 2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance.
Most of the wind noise seems to come from the general area of the top corner, against the B pillar (rear end of the window glass). The issue is the seal between the glass and the rubber door surround weatherstripping.

Note that the offending area can move and change with other more gross adjustments. You've got to fine tune the gross adjustments as good as you can get before moving on to the next process that I call, "shimming".

I've made a lot of progress and the driver's side noise is down to the point that now I hear all the other doors/ windows instead of the one right next to my left ear.

If the condition of the rubber is bad, it must be replaced.
But we should all condition that rubber on some kind of regular schedule. Tesla mobile service technician recommended a non silicone treatment. I bought what was recommended by Tesla, Wurts. It's expensive but I'm pulling out all the stops to solve these issues.

What I've observed in my car is that the window has a lot of pre curvature in the non shut non pressured shape. And the door surround rubber weatherstrip attached to the car body is fairly flat. That means the window must flattened out when it is rolled up. This isn't a good idea and a terrible design IMHO. That means that the window needs a lot of pressure to flatten and it's likely there will be spots that don't get a good tight seal.

So I did the following:

I closed the door tighter by adjusting the hook latch in the B pillar inwards several mils. This moves all the glass tighter in against the rubber.
I then tightened the glass somewhat selectively front and back (each has an adjustment screw) by removing the door inner panel and moved the screws out so the top of the glass moved in. This I did in several iterations back and forth front back in out until I got the glass as flat as possible. I kept measuring with the cardboard slip test as described herein.

Finally I came up with a unique "shimming process". I shim the rubber outwards towards the window a few mils at a time and only in areas where the gap is larger and only after doing all the other tightening techniques outlined herein. I believe it is unique. I have not read or watch anyone even thinking of this approach. It took a long time to sort this approach out and a lot of experimentation. But it works. It's tricky and time consuming but it works!

After tightening the door and window. To get the rubber to window tighter in the gross overall sense.

Then I test for any remaining loose sections.

First I used a thin cardboard about the shape of a credit card. I test the fit of the window glass to the rubber. I just slip it in between. If it feels snug it is good, if the cardboard passes easily or goes through, there will be wind noises. I mark the section(s), hopefully just one with removable black electrical tape (it leaves no residue).

I have to get the overall window tight enough so that there are only one or two areas, say 4” more or less in length where the test card is too loose. If there's more areas than that still loose, then go back to gross tightening adjustment measures such as door tightening and window angle adjustment. Do those iteratively until you are down to one or two small areas that need a bit of help.

I shim the rubber out just in those areas. Hopefully just one or two.

I came up with a shimming system.
I take a hacksaw blade and wrap one or two wraps of black Duck Tape around it for the thickness desired. I then tape the blade on the body surface on the edge facing the rubber when removed. If necessary I open the slot in the rubber a bit to fit.

I then press the rubber back into place carefully going over the shim(s). I then reinsert all places where the rubber is supposed to seat.

This process has proved to work quite well.
Thank you so much for your big response. How is the hook latch adjusted? Are you saying you pull the door in tighter? Can you share exactly where you shim? With what and is any glue needed? it seems to be in my top corner is not pressing against the glass can obviously see it by the gasket marks on the window. I just filed for a service to come out and fix it since I paid for it And they just did it a week ago because the gasket was replaced last week because of tear (second time) but they will probably say it’s in spec but it’s much worse than the cracked one, I wish I didn’t change it.

Thank you so much for your big response. How is the hook latch adjusted? Are you saying you pull the door in tighter? Can you share exactly where you shim? With what and is any glue needed? it seems to be in my top corner is not pressing against the glass can obviously see it by the gasket marks on the window. I just filed for a service to come out and fix it since I paid for it And they just did it a week ago because the gasket was replaced last week because of tear (second time) but they will probably say it’s in spec but it’s much worse than the cracked one, I wish I didn’t change it.

Door Latch tightening:
The hook latch pulls or rather holds the door in tighter. The process is first to mark the current OEM position by applying four pieces of black electrical tape right to each of the four edges of the latch. The latch is silver colored and has a hook shape and is mounted to the B Pillar with two Torx bolts. You move it by loosening up the bolts some, but not all the way out. Then tap the hook with a rubber mallet. You've already marked where it was so you know if it moves and how much. Move a couple mils at a time.

Shim.
I remove the section of rubber weatherstripping where I tested with cardboard and found too loose. You simply grab and pull. I make the shim from a piece of hacksaw blade broken to size. I wrap a single wrap of duck tape completely around it. I tape it to the leading edge on the outside surface of the car body where the rubber “snaps” into place. I don't need any glue. I use a couple pieces of duck tape to hold the shim to the leading edge and it won't slip back when I tap the rubber back in over the top of it.

Before you do all this make sure your rubber weatherstripping surround is fully inserted into the body slot. They are not glued but rather are pressed fitted and sometimes comes loose. It's a "bad" design, subject to falling out, moving, etc.

I made videos on my YouTube channel in my full name, showing all this work. I don't think I am supposed to “self promote” so I won't post the link here for the time being.

Also note:
Noises can decieve. Rely more upon the cardboard slip test than your ears.
I found noises from the rear door driver's side glass to B pillar made noise that sounded like it was coming from my front driver's glass. Test all windows!

Last edited:
anyone got advice on how to get aftermarket weather stripping to stick to the rubber? I've tried cleaning it with alcohol then applying adhesive promoter after it dries then applying the seal after about 3 minutes of the adhesive promoter and the 2 seals I bought will barley stick to the rubber. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but the 1 day it does stick the car is dead silent. So I know it'll fix it but just trying to figure out how to get it to stick :(

anyone got advice on how to get aftermarket weather stripping to stick to the rubber? I've tried cleaning it with alcohol then applying adhesive promoter after it dries then applying the seal after about 3 minutes of the adhesive promoter and the 2 seals I bought will barley stick to the rubber. Not sure what i'm doing wrong, but the 1 day it does stick the car is dead silent. So I know it'll fix it but just trying to figure out how to get it to stick :(
yeah the aftermarket rubber seems hard to stick in some areas, so i put silicone sealant and it worked.

I use "super adhesive weather stripping". It's a black "glue" meant for this purpose.