Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Model S know a switch from 21" to 19" wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we have the option for the 19" tires on the P85D, what are the areas in which performance lags compared to the 21"ers? For example, how much will the 0-60 time suffer, if at all? Top speed? And why?

All of you are so kind and generous to share your insight and knowledge.

Now that we have the option for the 19" tires on the P85D, what are the areas in which performance lags compared to the 21"ers? For example, how much will the 0-60 time suffer, if at all? Top speed? And why?

All of you are so kind and generous to share your insight and knowledge.

We should get two P85D cars, one with 21" and one with 19" with the same tire (or as close as possible) and take them to a strip and obtain trap times. If the 21" is running staggered/wider wheels in the back then I predict it will be slightly faster. If not, I bet the times will be almost identical, with the 19's being slightly faster.

It would be nice to end this debate :) Either way, in the real world it won't be enough to matter.

We should get two P85D cars, one with 21" and one with 19" with the same tire (or as close as possible) and take them to a strip and obtain trap times. If the 21" is running staggered/wider wheels in the back then I predict it will be slightly faster. If not, I bet the times will be almost identical, with the 19's being slightly faster.

The 21s might do a bit better in a drag race, just because the tires for the 21" wheels are sticky 'Ultra-High Performance Sport' summer tires, whereas the tires are the 19" wheels are considered 'Luxury Performance Touring' all season tires.

I'd expect to see a more significant difference in handling, especially from a P85 or P85D. If warmed up properly, the 21" tires will allow the car to run faster through the corners and maximize the lateral acceleration capabilities of the suspension (both due to the stickier rubber compound, as well as the shorter stiffer sidewall). On a track, my money would be on the car with the 21s.

Of course, all of the above is dependent on warm weather and dry road conditions. If the road is wet, or the temperature drops down near freezing, the all season tires would likely prevail.

The 21s might do a bit better in a drag race, just because the tires for the 21" wheels are sticky 'Ultra-High Performance Sport' summer tires, whereas the tires are the 19" wheels are considered 'Luxury Performance Touring' all season tires.

I'd expect to see a more significant difference in handling, especially from a P85 or P85D. If warmed up properly, the 21" tires will allow the car to run faster through the corners and maximize the lateral acceleration capabilities of the suspension (both due to the stickier rubber compound, as well as the shorter stiffer sidewall). On a track, my money would be on the car with the 21s.

Of course, all of the above is dependent on warm weather and dry road conditions. If the road is wet, or the temperature drops down near freezing, the all season tires would likely prevail.

Those are the tires Tesla provides. Read what I typed again- the same or similar tire. I'm using ultra high performance tires on my 19" wheels.

Those are the tires Tesla provides. Read what I typed again- the same or similar tire. I'm using ultra high performance tires on my 19" wheels.

Yeah, given the same tire I'd expect very similar straight line performance. Wheel weight might be the determining factor, and 21s are generally heavier than 19s. I'd still bet that the 21s with their shorter, stiffer sidewalls would perform better around corners.

Anyone with 19s on their P85D up for a race around the Fremont factory lot come delivery day? :D