Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will 18" Aero wheel fit a car with Performance big brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if the 18" Aero wheel has got this small additional "lip" machined out so they can be mounted over the Performance big brakes? I know they will fit clearance-wise, but don't know if they'll need to be machined or if they are all good to fit over that stupid extra lip on the big brake cars..

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Fits with 5mm spacer and minor shaving of calipers front and rear.

Attachments

• 20200223_132806.jpg
    20200223_132806.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 3,912
  • 20200219_135142.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 20200219_135200.jpg
    20200219_135200.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 1,350
Did you count the number of lug turns? I't must be over 7.5. It's probably fine, cause the P3D+ has an extra couple of mm of safe spacer room, but you'd want to make sure. Also, we aware that a service center may refuse to touch your car for anything that needs wheels off due to spacers.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yes plenty of turns of the lugs.
I'm sure people would appreciate it if you could post pictures of where you shaved the calipers and how much of the lug tread is sticking out of OEM aeros w/5mm spacer on a P3D+.

Just buy FastEV aero wheels

Those are a good option, but one can frequently score OEM 18" take-offs with tires, sensors, and aero covers for the cost of new wheels shipped. I'd like to see how much shaving was involved. For science, mostly. Got two sets of EV01s ;)

I'm sure people would appreciate it if you could post pictures of where you shaved the calipers and how much of the lug tread is sticking out of OEM aeros w/5mm spacer on a P3D+.

Those are a good option, but one can frequently score OEM 18" take-offs with tires, sensors, and aero covers for the cost of new wheels shipped. I'd like to see how much shaving was involved. For science, mostly. Got two sets of EV01s ;)

No need to see where to shave the caliper.

Just stack sticky backed sand paper onto the inside of the wheel and spin it around until about 2mm of clearance is achieved. The wheel and sand paper shaves the exact areas needed. No guesswork or figuring anything out required. Sorry no pictures. There are more than 7.5 turns off the lug nuts. No pictures.

Precisely, I got this new set of wheels, tires, and TPMS for $400 bucks.

No need to see where to shave the caliper.

Just stack sticky backed sand paper onto the inside of the wheel and spin it around until about 2mm of clearance is achieved. The wheel and sand paper shaves the exact areas needed. No guesswork or figuring anything out required. Sorry no pictures. There are more than 7.5 turns off the lug nuts. No pictures.

Precisely, I got this new set of wheels, tires, and TPMS for $400 bucks.
I hate to think of the extra wear and poor consumption during this process...but that is intriguing compared with the overall cost of a good, lightweight set of forged 18’s (MW03)

The P3D+ rotors are only 3mm thick compared to base rotors at 8mm thick. So with a 5mm spacer on a performance rotor, the rotor protrudes the same amount in both cases. Therefore, the lug threads would be exactly the same.

On my 18x8.5" Weds Sport TC105N the clearance is even closer and shows sign of scoring on the inner barrel of the wheels.

With the OEM 18" wheels the clearance is about 1mm more and so far shown no signs of scoring. The aero covers likely help in keeping debris out as well.

Last edited:
@Orwell , thanks for your post and guidance. I've got a set of Aero's from my prior M3 that I would like to be able to use on my new P3. Now that it's a couple months later, have you run into any issues since the initial discussion. Was there a particular spacer brand/style you needed to clear the P3's hub?

Reactions: Theraven
I ordered some 5mm spacers, did a bit of grinding and was also able to re-use my aero's. Thank's @Orwell for the tips. I put an album together with a bunch of pics of the process I used. 18 Aero's on 2019 M3 Performance PUP. No changes (other than the spacers) were needed on the front wheels. Threads still show on the back side of the bolt. A plumb bob hanging from the fender edge shows the 18" tire's sidewall is 5mm farther out than what's present with the 20's.

View media item 121435View media item 121444

Last edited:
I ordered some 5mm spacers, did a bit of grinding and was also able to re-use my aero's. Thank's @Orwell for the tips. I put an album together with a bunch of pics of the process I used. 18 Aero's on 2019 M3 Performance PUP. No changes (other than the spacers) were needed on the front wheels. Threads still show on the back side of the bolt. A plumb bob hanging from the fender edge shows the 18" tire's sidewall is 5mm farther out than what's present with the 20's.

Just curious, you mention 5mm spacers, but your link is for 3mm spacers. And the ones in your photos look like 3mm. Which did you end up using?? Thanks again for the great pics!