Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi related phantom drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've experimented with a few ways to reduce phantom drain, which was an issue when I first got my car in June (I don't have charging at home). Generally, since the 2018.24 version of software (i'm on 2018.28 now), the drain has declined to <1% (1-3 miles) overnight.

However, I've discovered that wifi (the toggle for which was first enabled with 2018.24, I believe), when left on, significantly increases phantom drain (3-7% overnight). There is currently no way to disable wifi in the car for good. The car starts looking for a network as soon as you get back in the car. It's enough to close all the doors and open one of them again for wifi to turn back on. I have found this to be a growing frustration to consistently remember to keep wifi off. I never use the functionality (home wifi is out of range, just like charging, and work has no wifi in the parking lot where I charge, not that i would need it).

I consider this a bug and have reported this as such to Tesla. I think there should be the ability to permanently turn off wifi in the menus and I would urge as many folks here as possible to report this to Tesla. That's a sure way to bump this bug/feature request up a few sprints and into production sooner.