Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife just said she's never driving the Tesla again......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we get back onto the topic of discussing our wives...

After reading some of the comments, I'm happy mine is not completely refusing to drive it. But she is certainly very lukewarm to it. While I loath driving the other car now (SUV), she pretty much switched to use it to commute to work 3 days of the week. Before she used Camry that the new S replaced. However the kids make her take Tesla when she drives them from school and activities :D. She doesn't hate it, but not loving it either. And the more I ask/talk about it, the less she seems to like it. She dislikes the accel/deaccel, I offered to turnoff regen breaks on her profile, but she refused because of it being more efficient...

On the other hand, she pretty much told me to forget about getting the 2nd Tesla, and not to even mention our Model 3 reservation... :mad:

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Nope I only have to use the gas can for the mower but I don't do that in the Leaf, I use a gas vehicle to get gas for the mower. :) I figure if I'm going to get gas for one I can do it for both and then the car or truck that smells like gas isn't my daily driver.

My wife deals with putting gas in the Prius and I unfortunately still deal with the gas for the mower and my dads pickup truck.

Geez, man, get an electric mower already! They're available in sizes from small hand-push mowers (dozens of models from dozens of companies) all the way up to ride-on and riding mowers:
Ride-on ZTRs
Cub Cadet RZT™S Zero

Gasoline lawn tools are really super inefficient and polluting compared to gasoline cars. They're a really good place to switch over to electric ASAP.

Those are settings that are profile specific. That said, it's hard enough to get my wife to remember to even change the profile to hers. She's more inclined to adjust the seats and mirrors to how she wants it rather than pressing my name at the top of the screen and selecting hers :(
Really? And she's ripped off four gas pump hoses?

Your wife is kind of insane; you know that, right? Best of luck to you both. She is one weird dude, which must be pretty hard to deal with.

My wife likes watching football, but I don't like football. This is a support group, right?

Hi, my name is hmmm and this is my story:

1) My wife is a car person...
2) Yet has never driven our (well, MY) Tesla even though I offered many times...see one above...something is not right in this picture.

So I asked her again this AM to recap what I already knew just to be sure because apparently I have a "positive" filter when it comes to anything Tesla. Here goes:

1) I had a sub-par experience with my SC which really shaped her perception of the brand right off the bat. She said that no matter how good the car is, that was a big turn off, which I get.

2) Our first road trip experience didn't help my case:
- First SC: 4 cars waiting, with a couple of cars who had been plugged in for 2 hrs per the Tesla person we talked to: Take away for her: Tesla owners are jerks. "But honey, this is only a small minority blah blah blah". Her: I don't care, it's a pain to me right here, right now."
- So we drove to the next SC (Gilroy). First stall wasn't working. Second one gave me 45 Kwh with a 20% SoC on a 90KwH pack. Third one worked.

We have an upcoming road trip that may be a bit tricky infrastructure-wise (ie rented house with only 120v available, sparse SC coverage to/from there). We would have semi decent destination chargers coverage, which would be good enough for me if I did that trip alone, but with said wife and toddler in tow, I'm not sure I want to take a chance and hear it for the entire vacation.

Moral of the story: like many here, I am perfectly fine with my wife not driving my car but this also mean that our upcoming road trip (and probably others...) will be "enjoyed" in her car, a diesel SUV. The only positive I can think about is that she will be driving and I will get to enjoy the beautiful views.

Moral of the story: like many here, I am perfectly fine with my wife not driving my car but this also mean that our upcoming road trip (and probably others...) will be "enjoyed" in her car, a diesel SUV.

^ This ^

Look. Tesla (and EVs in general) are a lifestyle choice, not unlike a hobby. Sorry if that offends some, but I've been rather amused by this thread, as it sounds almost exactly like the ones I've read over and over again in airplane forums. I love to fly, but my wife is lukewarm about it. She travels well in it, but it's not like I want to buy her one, or expect her to get her pilot's license (I'm an instructor so it would cost nothing), so she could fly mine herself. Who cares?

I'll buy a Tesla. She'll drive it...locally. The odds of her SCing and travel planning around recharging are zero. The odds of us traveling long distance, and stopping to recharge every 200 miles are also zero. I'm OK with that. If it were different, I would have already bought an S.

I, too, will drive our diesel SUV in these cases. Don't force your spouse to adopt your hobby......

My wife loves our Tesla and our LEAF. She loves camping and roughing it doesn't bother her in one bit. She also outearns me by a bit, so there's that. She's a devil in the sack too. I'm a lucky guy in almost every way except that she wants to drive the Tesla. Oh well. 1 problem instead of 99.

Now...you're talking about what's important!! If she's kind and understanding also, then you sir, have indeed received the golden ticket....!

Reactions: croman
Geez, man, get an electric mower already! They're available in sizes from small hand-push mowers (dozens of models from dozens of companies) all the way up to ride-on and riding mowers:
Ride-on ZTRs
Cub Cadet RZT™S Zero

Gasoline lawn tools are really super inefficient and polluting compared to gasoline cars. They're a really good place to switch over to electric ASAP.

I use a push mower non self propelled. I only have to mow a few times a year. No need for a riding mower or self propelled but I'm not liking the concept of dropping down on the blade size and all the push electrics I've seen have smaller blades (some absurdly small).

I'm using a 22" but common walk behind electrics are in the 14" to 19" range. The ones with 20" or 21" blades are more expensive.

At some point I'll switch but I'm not tossing this one in a landfill just to buy electric. And if I sell it someone is still using the gas mower so it might as well be me for now.

Based on this thread I guess I'm lucky that my wife loves our Tesla's, before we had the X she would only drive the S. This is very interesting in that before the Tesla's she loved her Mercedes SUV, once we had the first Tesla she never drove the ICE. She would not hesitate to drive it anywhere with or without me, we do not commute in them because we are both retired. Also I guess when we go on trips we are not in a hurry but have never had a problem charging even with lower charging rates, the most we have waited to charge has been 50 minutes. Having said the above it certainly is a lifestyle choice and there are trade offs with driving a BEV, but for us we will never go back to pumping gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.