Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla Will Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a list of car brands older than say 10 years that haven't failed yet? Opel/Vauxhall is somehow still around, but they failed, right? Did it impact owners a lot? VW somehow is surviving despite having been singled out. Not sure what it would take for Tesla to properly fail and be left by its fanboys. There's a lot of them. they've been hard to dissuade from buying.

I am curious--really curious--as to the organization chart for Tesla Motors. Which departments are consolidated and to which other departments do they report to? How many mid-level managers and low-level executives are there company-wide?

We seem only to communicate to entry-level or low-level employees, which is typical for most companies. In most cases, we do not need to speak to a supervisor (let's say level 3) or manager (level 4.) In even fewer cases would we need to speak with a middle executive (level 5). But we should be able to have that option if our situation cannot be resolved satisfactorily with the lower-level employees. But the fact remains that no matter the gravity of our issue with Tesla, we cannot speak to anyone with a higher-level of authority. This is unfortunate, in my opinion.

Tesla has chosen this particular business model, and I think Tesla is earnest in trying to make it work. As others have pointed out, traditional car manufacturers have a local dealer who can provide a better hands' on experience for their customers. These local dealers effectively are the "middle management" for the manufacturers, as the dealers handle the same customer issues that Tesla has to address. In essence, the traditional manufacturers do not have this added overhead to factor in to the price of their cars. Tesla does.

From 40 years' experience in the accounting field, I know that most companies spend a lot of money in areas that can directly result in increased sales. These same companies are also looking to limit the funds in those departments (like the accounting department!!:D) that do not add sales but are a necessary overhead function. There is a lot of discretion and cost cutting involved with overhead. I am guessing that Tesla does not have adequate supervisory and management personnel to handle the wide variety of cares, complaints, and situations that arise from their chosen business model. Accordingly, the Level 1 and Level 2 employees get the brunt of our frustrations and honestly do not know what to do to solve the problem or make things right. Hence the wide swings of customer satisfaction to dissatisfaction.

Things that we do not know is how much employee turnover Tesla experiences. How well does Tesla pay its entry-level staff? How much opportunity is there for employees to advance within their department or into another department? How much training to the new hires receive, and how much direct supervision do they receive, and how competent are these supervisors? Do people become supervisors through merit or attrition?

Since Tesla has chosen this particular model, I have been puzzled since we ordered our Model S four years ago as to why we do not have a dedicated employee assigned to us for all our questions. Someone who can get answers from the other departments. Someone who can find a lost Model 3 deposit (there was a whole another thread about this). Someone who can deal with poor service at the Service Centers. Someone who can follow up with surveys and such. I am sure that Tesla could make this arrangement work so as not to overwhelm the employee while ensuring that its customers get the answers they seek, even if they do not like those answers.

Since Tesla has chosen this particular model, I have been puzzled since we ordered our Model S four years ago as to why we do not have a dedicated employee assigned to us for all our questions. Someone who can get answers from the other departments. Someone who can find a lost Model 3 deposit (there was a whole another thread about this). Someone who can deal with poor service at the Service Centers. Someone who can follow up with surveys and such. I am sure that Tesla could make this arrangement work so as not to overwhelm the employee while ensuring that its customers get the answers they seek, even if they do not like those answers.
While a good idea to have, if all owners would today get an email with the contact details of their next central liason person, how many addition emails would reach them over the first week? How many employees to spread those over? Perhaps they considered it, but saw that that ship has passed. Maybe a gradual roll-out might work.
Getting in touch with a brand should be doable but not tooooo easy or comfortable. Or prices need to rise.
With all the steep options, perhaps a Congierge Service fee of $1000 one-time might work. Always updated, better focused mailings, hot line to a human who understands your car and service history.

My Volvo dealer only kept in stock parts that turned over in 90 days or less. I hear lots of waiting for parts stories, do the local Service Centers keep parts stocked and on hand or just rely on Fedex from the mother ship? Most majors have regional parts warehouses so a runner can stop by daily to grab parts needed. Warehouse in Tacoma to supply Seattle, Portland, Spokane for example 200 mile radius. But there are probably 50 GM dealers in that radius and 2 Tesla outlets.

Google “Tesla customer service” and look at the articles that come up. Nearly none of the articles that come up put them in a good light. When “Tesla reliability” returns “30% drive unit failure rate” the next search is likely going to be “Tesla customer service.” When that returns “Poor communication and inconsistent service quality” people will look elsewhere before they even test drive the car. Like someone said upthread, it doesn’t matter how good your product is if people never try it or buy it.
Googling for things often gives you strange and skewed results. Negative articles tend to float to the top, since "I'm happy with my car" does not generate very many clicks, and blogs and news site seem to care mostly about clicks these days.

If you search "BMW reliability" the top result are all negative as well. Heck the 3rd result is "BMW Engines Are Gigantic Pieces Of Sh*t".

• Disagree
Reactions: Teslie
Service in Taiwan has been stellar, technicians are awesome. The service reps are very friendly and helpful, maybe a bit clueless at times in understanding my rattling noise issues (all fixed now) but they are great overall.

Having said that, the method to arrange a service appointment really sucks. Every time I’ve called in, they have tried to get me to read me my vehicle vin (can’t you look it up from my phone or license?), remote diagnose me/reboot screens, and generally divert me from making an appointment on the spot. I just want to schedule service but I always have to wait for someone to call me back. Frustrating.

Reactions: Cloxxki
I had a similar experience at the Rockville, Md Service Center. The frunk of my 2016 model S suddenly wouldn't open, so I called them, and after giving me some useless advice (try closing it and opening it again), they made an appointment for that afternoon. When I arrived, the guy at the desk informed me I had no appointment. Just then, the lady at the next desk said she had made the appointment that morning, but the computer was not working so she was unable to log it in. So they had a look, and sure enough, discovered the solenoid had failed. They told me they would order one and call me in 3-5 days when it came in. I waited a week and received no call, so I called them and they told me the solenoid was in, and sent a Ranger out to my workplace to replace it. He did a great job, and my frunk began working perfectly again. The following Monday, I got a call from the same lady at the SC who made the original appointment informing me my solenoid was in and asking when I would like to come in to have it installed.
Clearly, while the Service Center employees are competent at servicing Teslas, they have no process for scheduling work and do not communicate with each other, or their customers. And that is the fault of management. My solution is to treat the SC people like unsupervised children and follow up when they fail to call back or forget what they told me. It's a sad state of affairs, but until management wakes up and puts processes in place I see no alternative.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
You disagree, which is fine. Not every post needs to be bent to your viewpoint. Neroden started the thread venting, and pointing at what is a systemic issue from his perspective, not making a theorem that will narrate future events. You could make another thread with "why Tesla won't fail" and many folks will also disagree with your logic in it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
LOL, Why, Echo Delta, thank you so much for your words of wisdom!
I don't seem to recall stating or even indicating that I believe that every post needs to be bent to my viewpoint but if that's all you gleaned from my post, <shrug> LOL, that's your issue, not mine.
Like everyone else, I do believe I have a right to state my opinion, (even without your approval.)
Anyway, you have yourself a nice day and thanks so much for the advice. I'll make a note of it!;)

Reactions: EinSV
Mission e and Jaguar? Money is no problem for you! Anyway good luck to find dedicated SC stalls...

One or the other - deposit is refundable, remember? And they will come out just about when my car comes off lease. I will consider them vs. the updated Model S.

After 3 years of Tesla Model S I realize that I don't really do that much long distance driving - so superchargers are not that important to me. Agree though SC network is a big advantage for Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865

So far, from reading this thread, I’ve found that everyone loves the service centers in SoCal, but there seem to be problems in the “smaller” markets across the country. Whatever Tesla is doing in their homeland needs to be done across the country/world.

I have had exceptional service from the crew at the Minneapolis Both the Ranger service (which was years ago) and the Service Center.
I suspect why you hear less from the areas away from the coasts is that there are simply fewer of us ;)

Reactions: CBPfromTN
So while I love my car, my service experience in my 1+ year of ownership has not met expectations

Up until my lastest appointment last Thursday my displeasure over my few service experiences was limited to loaners
On one appointment it took 3 loaners. The 1st, a Mercedes, was stalling at lights and a service nag kept coming on that indicated the car was 1100 miles due for service. We returned that, got a Volvo that seemed ok until about half way home in a driving rain when ants starting appearing from vents,etc. They drove a Kia to our home and tho not a model S it was fine

So Thursday it was going in because the defroster failed badly on one of the few times we needed it here in So Cal. It was actually a bit of a safety hazard and was so cold we had to turn it off
Dropped it off, got a Mustang ragtop with 36k this time. Apparently tough to get a Tesla loaner at Costa Mesa. But that was ok
So they said tentatively we would get the car on Friday. I called Friday midday and was told it would be next week now
That part that annoys me is I had app access to my car from when I dropped it off right up until I called today mid afternoon for a status. They said they hadn’t found any problems yet. At that time my app access became unavailable. I strongly suspect the car just sat there from Thursday until when I called today
I just wish the communication and honesty would improve. If they were that busy they should’nt have taken the car in. And we waited 2+ weeks for that apppointment

Update
Just as I’m writing this I get a text that they now need a valve block and hope to get it by Thursday
Yikes

If you know, what would a valve block do.?

[QUOTE="neroden, post: 2536656, member:
*Tesla will fail
*top management at Tesla (aka idiots)
*top management (aka idiots)
*yell at them.
*yell at the NY mobile service team
*(Omar), who lied to me,
*the idiot in top management
*this idiot division.

*This is par for the course with Tesla service. *been dealing with this crap for five years
*it gets worse and worse every time.

*This is going to kill the company.

*My advice dump the stock before 2020

*It's top management failure.
*no internal communications
*information does not get passed
*one person who screws up ruins everything

*The only way to get good service

And Tesla does their best to *prevent* you from talking to the people you need to talk to.

So you’re saying that ALL of the technicians are fine - all except Omar because he lied to you?

At your workplace if a customer had an attitude like yours, and posted on a forum all negative exaggerated things about you and your co-workers and about the bad service the customer received for 5 years - are you saying that you would give excellent service to that rude customer who exaggerates the events?

I’m sorry to hear you’re not a happy Model S owner. I suggest you read your post again - I think you might see hints of why you’re not getting the service you want.

All is excellent with the Mobile Service Rangers in my area (hint: If I call them idiots and liars I don’t think I’d get excellent service. I have bad news for you: the customer is not ALWAYS right.

Do you really think investors will take investing advice from a hypocrite “Happy Model S Owner” ...Model S debuted in 2012 which seems to be the only year you’ve been a Happy owner. You’ve had since 2013 (5 years) to change your tag line.

If you own TSLA stock - why wait till 2020 to sell your shares? Do it now.[/QUOTE]
LOL RIGHT!!!!!!!! Especially today/tomorrow while people are selling off. smh

Format fail ... :cool:

So you’re saying that ALL of the technicians are fine - all except Omar because he lied to you?

At your workplace if a customer had an attitude like yours, and posted on a forum all negative exaggerated things about you and your co-workers and about the bad service the customer received for 5 years - are you saying that you would give excellent service to that rude customer who exaggerates the events?

I’m sorry to hear you’re not a happy Model S owner. I suggest you read your post again - I think you might see hints of why you’re not getting the service you want.

All is excellent with the Mobile Service Rangers in my area (hint: If I call them idiots and liars I don’t think I’d get excellent service. I have bad news for you: the customer is not ALWAYS right.

Do you really think investors will take investing advice from a hypocrite “Happy Model S Owner” ...Model S debuted in 2012 which seems to be the only year you’ve been a Happy owner. You’ve had since 2013 (5 years) to change your tag line.

If you own TSLA stock - why wait till 2020 to sell your shares? Do it now.
LOL RIGHT!!!!!!!! Especially today/tomorrow while people are selling off. smh[/QUOTE]

• Disagree
Reactions: PeterK
View attachment 276657

All kidding aside, I too have had a latch issue ironically which would prevent me from opening it from inside and outside. This entail would prevent you from using all AutoPilot features, annoying beeping every time you get into the car for a couple of minutes. I called Tesla service and they were kind enough to look at my car at my local service center. What should have taken a short period of time, I was told 30 minutes so I decided to stay. Since they didn't have a Tesla loaner available to me, I ended up being there 4 hours from my time of arrival so they can order parts. I decided to take my car back with me until parts were to arrive. Dec 22, 2017.

Fast forward a week or so and I find out after washing my car that I noticed a new scratch on my car which was rather long right above the passenger taillight. I call to enquire about the status of the parts along with asking about the scratch since it is quite noticeable. I signed paperwork that detailed all the scratches they found when bringing the car in and since I knew there were scratches, I just signed it. I just asked if they could provide me with a copy of all the scratches when I brought in the car all the while not accusing them of actually creating it. It certainly could have happened on my watch. I was assured the paperwork was floating around in various places and someone would get back to me. I was never contacted.

The date here is foggy but I call after a weekend of noticing that car has been unlocked the whole time and kept outside due to the liftgate thinking it is open. I explained to the service person before handing my keyfob over that you have to lock the car through the CID. After explaining that it normally wouldn't be an issue since I removed anything else of value but I left my dashcam in there. Shortly after that, someone locked the door.

Jan 3, 2018 I receive a call and voicemail indicating I can take delivery of my Model 3 sooner than anticipated. Make arrangements to have it done Jan 5, 2018. At this point I was lucky enough to schedule an appointment online to take my car in that day and just swap cars. Once I'm back on the service side I ask again about the status of parts to which I'm told we have most parts but now they have to order more parts. I have yet to hear back about the paperwork I previously requested.

Jan 6, 2018 they receive parts and ready to proceed replacing liftgate latch but break trim pieces which they don't have in stock. So more parts need to be ordered.

Jan 10, 2018 I get a text approximately 10:30AM that my car is fixed and is currently being washed so I can pick it up in 2 hours. I arrive at Tesla approximately 4PM (5.5hrs from their text). I again ask about the paperwork and they were still unable to provide me what I needed to know. At this point I inspect the car and the first thing I see are all the smudges along the liftgate. I immediately go back inside and talk to a service person. I ask the person, "I was told the car was being washed by text message this morning, does this look like it is washed?" Person apologizes and asks if I wanted the car washed. I told him to forget it but I was clearly irate at this point. I then ask about the paperwork again after I notice the scratch is obviously still there. He leaves for a bit and comes back to tell me that Tesla will cover fixing the damage since they cannot confirm or deny my claims.

Jan 11, 2018 so now I have to make another service appointment to have their Tesla approved shop fix the issue. I was asked to call a certain person to have this done and relayed the message to the person answering the phone. I was told at this point this person would call back by the end of the day or the next day. That call never came. I got a call back from my DS regarding the 3 and my satisfaction. We talked briefly. On top of that I get a text that day that my Tesla is ready for pickup which I picked up the day before.

Jan 12, 2018 I e-mailed back my Model 3 DS my dissatisfaction with my Model S followup (not her fault). I never did get a reply by e-mail but I did get a call back from that person to bring my car in on Jan 15th (MLK).

Jan 15, 2018 I got 8am service appointment which would get me better odds in procuring a Tesla loaner. I arrive ahead of schedule with one person ahead of me before they even had their doors open. I get my paperwork done to leave my car and ask if they have a Tesla loaner for me. Nope. Keep in mind that nearby Enterprise in December bought a fleet of inventory Teslas and my early appointment time still wasn't able to secure a Tesla loaner. So instead I was stuck with a Jaguar. I made the best of my time that day and went to Grass Valley (Verizon cell signal is finally good!) from Rocklin. I get back home sometime around noon only to get a text approximately 1:30PM that my Tesla was ready for pickup. WTF?!? I call them to ask why was it fixed so fast? Turns out that scratch wasn't a scratch and that they detailer was able to get rid of the white residue. So it's back to Tesla again. So that day consisted of driving 230 miles for a scratch they may have caught if the detailer would have washed the car in the first place which by the way, they did wash this time. However, there were still bits in the liftgate area (broken pieces of green pry tool) where they worked and that wasn't vacuumed from the original service.

So now it comes to this, I hand washed my Model 3 on Jan 19, 2018 (first time) in preparation of window tinting. I notice that there are several areas on the rear quarter where it curves with the trunk, there are multiple marring or hazy areas in the paint (hologram?). In every one of those marks you can see a little dot there. I suspect they may have touched up the paint there and the detailer may have done a rushed job with the polisher. I picked up my car Jan 5th and it rained that day so there wasn't much sun to notice something like that.

Awaiting tl;dr in 3..2..1..
They can learn a thing or two about service by Lexus...

I have a Tesla service story to share as well. Some of is good but most of it was just terrible.

I thought it was pretty cool that Tesla uncorked my December 2016 Model X shaving more than a second off my 0-60. They charged me zero for this but I had to make a phone call and drive the car in for them to keep for a day.

They gave me a Tesla loaner but it had issues, please see below.

Pros:
+ Free performance uncork shaving over a second off 0-60 that would typically cost 5 digits to upgrade through third party or trim upgrades from manufacturer.
+ Model S loaner to use for the day while working on my Model X

Cons:
- I had to call to schedule an appointment to get the uncork done.
- I had to drive my car in myself to get the uncork done.
- I had to wait in the lobby for 10 minutes before someone came to me to complete the paperwork and set me up with a loaner.
- Coffee at the Costa Mesa service center is not very good. Generic keurig stuff and powered creamer and sugar from a can (ewww)
- Loaner Model S was not a P100D, did not have vegan white seats, and did not have 3 position LED Turning lights
- Free car wash after the service was not quite as good as if I washed it myself

GM, Nissan, Porsche haven't gotten to offering complementary performance enhancements yet, but when they do, surely it will be cheaper and better than Tesla!

Somehow I'm drawn to all my future cars being Tesla's despite 3x the cons than pros from this particular experience.
performance for free with GM, Porsche? Dream on nothing is free with Porsche. As far as your cons nothing really terrible there. It was not a P100D? so what? A 100D is more than enough. Did not have vegan white seats and 3 position Led turning lights? So???