Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no supercharger in Fredericksburg, TX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems weird that there is no supercharger in Frederricksburg, TX. Sure, no Interstate through there, but this is now a big, year-round tourist destination with scores of wineries and breweries, lots of restaurants, BnB's, etc. The Johnson City supercharger is in the middle of nowhere (with all due respect if you live there, sorry). The 'destination chargers' are all at private establishments and not realisticly available.
supercharger desert.png

Sounds to me like the wineries, breweries, restaurants, and BnBs need to put in destination chargers. Supercharging is intended for highway transit.

It looks like there may be a few more destination chargers than Tesla lists on their map. It would be great if these types of towns put in a dozen or so chargers in their downtown tourist parking lots. I've been to a few cities that have done that and it was pretty nice and encouraged me to visit their tourism districts.

1695579549594.png

Reactions: bruce4000
I have only today learned that we can actually vote on this ... Fredericksburg is currently 11. If you agree, please vote

2. also . yes, there are 'destination' chargers, but they are at hotels/bnb's where you have stay, or wineries where you will not spend more than one hour. None of those are good solutions.

3. Also, noted that it is 30 or so miles to Johnson City, but that is 60 miles of the charge (if you stay and push the session to 100%), and part of the attraction of Fredericksburg is to explore the hill country, which is, ummm, quite hilly leading to poor efficiency.

4. If city fathers frown on this in town, there are plenty of establishments just outside the city limits who might relish the idea of the traffic a supercharger would bring.

Reactions: Seyed
I have only today learned that we can actually vote on this ... Fredericksburg is currently 11. If you agree, please vote

2. also . yes, there are 'destination' chargers, but they are at hotels/bnb's where you have stay, or wineries where you will not spend more than one hour. None of those are good solutions.

3. Also, noted that it is 30 or so miles to Johnson City, but that is 60 miles of the charge (if you stay and push the session to 100%), and part of the attraction of Fredericksburg is to explore the hill country, which is, ummm, quite hilly leading to poor efficiency.

4. If city fathers frown on this in town, there are plenty of establishments just outside the city limits who might relish the idea of the traffic a supercharger would bring.

You could plug in at multiple places during your day. It makes the EV experience less ideal, but is certainly an option. And the charge you'd get while at each location would surely cover the drive to the next location.

Hilly roads have downhills too - feel the regen! :)

Having a supercharger in town is definitely convenient. But if you're making a day trip from Austin, a longer charge in Johnson City seems a really reasonable ask. I've definitely done that sort of driving many times.

When I lived in Austin area, we rarely did a day trip there. Usually stayed overnight for a few days. Destination charger is an option but one of the charms of Fredericksburg was staying at cool places that may not have chargers. A SC in town would definitely have helped. Required? No. Helped? Yes.