Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is there no Extended Service Warranty for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they don't offer it because they will need to accrue warranty reserves on their books and Wall Street might not like this. I am sure at some point, they will add it, but by waiting they get a better understanding for repair history.

X-Care is the only Extended Service Agreement that is offered for Model 3. $100 deductible and a wide variety of term options available.

You can use our quote tool to see the pricing - www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

This may sound dumb, but the 8 year 100k warranties for my 2020 Ram Limited and 2017 Golf R were sub $1600 w/ tax.

Since these vehicles are more 'simple' and have less to go wrong with becoming mass produced is 3k feasible? Seems like they found a niche market so are charging a bit more. Just like tesla giving poor trade in values because they know the vehicle owner has no other trade in options for tax credit...

Since these vehicles are more 'simple' and have less to go wrong with becoming mass produced is 3k feasible?
The issue is that they are captive and subject to the whims of Tesla.
A battery going out can cost $20K on a Model S, and Tesla changes pricing all the time. As a warranty provider, how do you price when Tesla might suddenly say a drive unit is $8K? It doesn't matter how many cars they have sold if Tesla is the only place you can buy parts and they are so unstable, and there is no long term history of how Tesla will behave with out of warranty cars.
You're also stuck with a very expensive, non-competitive repair environment right now. In most cities, Tesla is the only one that can do any real work on the electronic portion of the cars.
All this makes pricing a 3rd party warranty profitably very hard.