Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Are Tesla Drivers so Socially Awkward?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After purchasing my first M3P in December, I immediately appreciated the TMC Community's social spirit: rarely snide or arrogant, always something new to learn and share, patiently responding to my many newbie questions- a positive, helpful attitude throughout.

My first multi-day road trip unfortunately did not add to the feeling of being among a likeminded group of aficionados of a revolutionary transportation technology:

At pretty much every Supercharger layover, my fellow Tesla drivers invariably look the other way when arrive, get out of my car and sending a friendly hand wave their way.
Or they studiously avoid eye contact and any notion of being part of a pioneering tribe that probably would have plenty of information to exchange (not unlike any other group of pioneers).

I've experienced these stops inevitably as cold, and am not looking forward to them anymore. No one exchanges notes about their experiences (believe, me, I tried a couple of times: "you also have a problem with wind noise on your M3?...").

So then I thought: maybe they behave that way because they are all super afraid that I could steal their wallets or harm them in other ways if they respond to my friendly "hello"!... But then I realized: if I park right next to them in a brand-new $60k car, what do they think are the odds?

I've ultimately experienced these stops as a lifeless, anonymous line-up of expensive cars with awkward, socially inept individuals sitting silently inside-people who could care less what's happening around them or, god forbid, would be eager to sharing notes about a revolutionary experience.

We all have the same car? Cool.
I am sorry that you lost your curiosity about a car that is still very much evolving, with lots to talk about (as can be witnessed in this forum).

To respond to your points:
It takes about five minutes of active work at a gas station: entering credit card, selecting the right nozzle, concentrating not to spill or under-fill, closing out, window washing...
On the other hand, there are usually at least 20, often 30-40 minutes of free down time at a Supercharger, i.e. at least theoretically lots of time for conversation.
And, unlike you, I still often found time to engage with others, back in the days at the gas pump, especially when we shared the same type of car.

Two years ago there was more likely chances for engagement. Now with significantly more Teslas out there, it's just not like being in this rare club. I still get quite a few waves and nods and return them. Also with the pandemic raging for the better part of 15 months, it's just frankly more problematic to strike up conversations with unknown travelers.

I find the idea of calling a bunch of people who dont want to talk to a stranger at the "gas pump" "socially awkward" somewhat insulting, actually. Just because you are an extrovert doesnt make everyone else one.

Also, In general, lumping a group of ANYONE together as if they all feel / do the same thing (why are all the tesla drivers/ Why are all the rich people / why are all the poor people / why are all the mustang drivers / why are all the XXX race people), wrong.

I respect your opinion that you feel my impressions are too generalizing, to the point of insulting.
But it just struck me as odd that (in my experience so far) a large segment of a specific group seems unusually asocial, and, to my thinking, unnecessarily so, given that most Tesla owners belong to a segment of the population that is intelligently advancing a concept, and paying dearly for it, to boot.

I respect your opinion that you feel my impressions are too generalizing, to the point of insulting.
But it just struck me as odd that (in my experience so far) a large segment of a specific group seems unusually asocial, and, to my thinking, unnecessarily so, given that most Tesla owners belong to a segment of the population that is intelligently advancing a concept, and paying dearly for it, to boot.
I think it's similar to flying business class. Some people like to chat, some people don't. Typically those in business class are paying, one way or another, exorbitant amounts to sit up front. It's also on an airplane where you've been traveling along time and are looking to get some work done or relax.

But as mentioned, charging is akin to fueling, even if you spend more time doing less, it is still an opportunity to relax as you likely drove one of many 2 hour legs to get to the charger with hopes you might take a quiet stretch or a nap. Unprepared to socialize, you might appear asocial, but the same crowd showed up for a Tesla Cars and coffee, or a track event, I think the experience would be different.

It seems you personally are prepared to start a discussion at supercharging stops, where others may not be. Simple as that! I think that will change as the population grows.

I face a similar scenario on motorcycles; often at gas stations, parking lots, or red lights I am approached by people who want to talk shop. I'm not opposed to it, but for me more often them not it's neither the time nor the place for me and earplugs and a helmet make it awfully awkward to communicate effectively. At a meet up, a track day, race weekend, etc, it's a whole different story.

Lastly, you have to remember that TMC represents a really small population of an already small population.

@clyde, I agree that “the scene” at superchargers is not the bustling gathering around the water cooler that I had pictured before I got a Tesla. But I think the problem was in my mental image, not in the actual situation. First, yes, there are probably a higher percentage of nerds than the general population, and with that comes a certain amount of social awkwardness. Second, we are traveling and I know that I end up with quite a few things I want to get done at my SC stops. Finally and probably most importantly, there is a wide range of Tesla experience out there - there have been people at these SC stops for the past 8 years. Do you expect them to be bubbling with questions about Tesla’s? “I have a Tesla” does fade into the background of normal life, and I think that is good.

Lest I sound too jaded, I am quick to help out or answer questions from newer owners at the SCs. A quick “hi” is never bad form, and just occasionally a conversation grows from it. It is just as likely to be about where they are traveling or their dog as it is to be about Tesla’s, though.

talking to a random stranger at the SC is the same as talking at a gas pump and while the act of charging takes 30+ minute action of being outside the car before walking away or getting back inside is a 30 second process... its just weird and not commonplace in society to just start talking to someone for no reason that to shoot the *sugar*.

However, if I'm at a SC and some noob comes up and parks next to me when there are other open stalls i will get out and be like "hey bro if you use a different stall that's not paired like these 2 are you will charge faster and not nerf my charging speed at the same time. But that falls into the same category as some teenager pulling up to a gas pump in dads truck and fill a gas can while its in the truck bed still. you are preforming a public service and providing education to someone that clearly doesn't know better.

Another exception and this is pushing the line of acceptable behavior if you're at a SC like the one in Kettleman city with the lounge inside and the coffee bar then perhaps if someone is clearly not doing something and is like staring at the wall you could be like "how's it going?" but again that is on the outskirts of acceptable behavior.

We're not pioneers anymore.

Back in 2015 the Supercharging experience was so different that I could understand excitement.

But, these days stopping to charge isn't any difference than stopping to get gas or to go the bathroom.

Now that isn't to say there could be some improvements.

Like if more Supercharger spots had integrated Cafes or maybe some of the games could be multiplayer where you could play against people at the supercharger. That would be pretty cool.

I'm very much "I'll leave you alone" kind of person so I'm not going to go up to someone's car. But, if you make the mistake of starting a conversation I'll end up talking your ear off.