Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Paid for California Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An avowed EV Hater on another forum makes the following claim:

NONE of the charge stations in CA are 'paid for by Tesla'. ALL of them are paid for by the Energy Commission

Offhand this sounds like complete BS to me, but after doing some searching I can't find any solid information to refute it. Any ideas where I might find some solid proof one way or the other?

Thanks!

An avowed EV Hater on another forum makes the following claim:

Offhand this sounds like complete BS to me, but after doing some searching I can't find any solid information to refute it. Any ideas where I might find some solid proof one way or the other?

Thanks!
Ask him to back up what he says.

Beyond that, there are some tax breaks but not 100%.

When he said Google it, you should have said: Yea, I figured you had nothing.

Even if Tesla accepted the $6.4M that would in no way paid for the land (lease or purchase), construction and cost of the Superchargers.

Tesla does receive federal funding for Superchargers, typically gets less per site than other charging companies simply because mass production makes the Supercharger cheaper. Tesla has received 13% or $17M of the federal EV charging awards (3/20/2023).

Last edited:
When he said Google it, you should have said: Yea, I figured you had nothing.

Even if Tesla accepted the $6.4M that would in no way paid for the land (lease or purchase), construction and cost of the Superchargers.

Tesla does receive federal funding for Superchargers, typically gets less per site than other charging companies simply because mass production makes the Supercharger cheaper. Tesla has received 13% or $17M of the federal EV charging awards (3/20/2023).
That is awesome - thank you!!

And yeah, when he said that my response was basically "since you can't produce any actual evidence I am forced to assume your claim is complete BS." But it will be oh so nice to also prove him wrong. :cool: