Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Doesn't Care about the Performance Model? vs. AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a thread on reddit yesterday where a lot of AWD users chimed in about how they regretted not purchasing the Performance model from the getgo.
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the P model? Even at $6500, I don't have any regrets and absolutely love my AWD. Am I out of the norm for being totally content?
A solid 90% of the posters are pretty salty about not springing for the P when they bought their AWD.
That being said, I had no idea that a P3D- was offered, that I should've done more research on but whats done is done.

I think they are just having buyers remorse a bit. Ill admit the P- was a pretty sweet deal this last go around but I wouldn't hate on an AWD at all if that's what I had. I've bought enough cars over the years to know what I'm most likely to regret so I just bought the damn P+ to start. Im getting out of the phase where I need to touch and modify everything so I just wanted one I could leave as is.

Reactions: Sutton 3P
No regrets purchasing AWD. In LA, the pavement can be rough, uneven, and riddled with potholes. Low profile tires don't offer great ride quality and can get easily damaged. Higher profile tires of the AWD are more suitable and offer more forgiving ride quality.

After seven years driving Porsche sports cars in LA, and repairing several rims, I finally realized I was choosing the wrong type of car for this city. Also, 0-60 times mean little on busy LA freeways once the car has enough torque to quickly merge. Our Dual Motor does great.

My two cents, of course. YMMV...

Last edited:
There’s no shortage of discontent in the Tesla community. Many people here spend a lot time worried about what someone else got and what they paid for it.

There's a difference between the situation versus others. This is not like we bought the top of the line and then saw it drop in price later.

Many of us couldn't justify the price difference for the P3D(-), and a good chunk of us didn't want the P3D+. However, now that the price difference is much less, and the fact that the older cars at least can be flashed to be faster makes us wish that we can pay for an upgrade.

Reactions: Scott7
I think they are just having buyers remorse a bit. Ill admit the P- was a pretty sweet deal this last go around but I wouldn't hate on an AWD at all if that's what I had. I've bought enough cars over the years to know what I'm most likely to regret so I just bought the damn P+ to start. Im getting out of the phase where I need to touch and modify everything so I just wanted one I could leave as is.

This. This is why I just bought the P3D-. I know I would have had regrets if I didn't.

My emotion around this is not regret, it’s want. :)

I would love to have the performance upgrade. If it was an option, and at the right price, I would pull the trigger no problem.
This car is so fun to drive. The performance model would be even more fun. :)

So I don’t regret any part of my AWD purchase. I just want the upgrade. :)

Next go round for sure.
Maybe the Performance “Y”, or the next Tesla model after that. !

I don't think anyone is arguing that 3.2s 0-60 [or more...] is NEEDED, but it was definitely WANTED while the big wheels/low profile summer tires were not. (for me) ...plus I actually like the "sleeper" status of my car.
I'm not arguing cause I understand the difference between want vs. need.
Just trying to use logic that says if you are going to bring up potholes & cold weather then having 18" All Seasons or Snow tires isn't going get you 3.2 secs.

3.2 secs is under the best of all race (incl. weather, tires, suspension, driver etc.) conditions.

So at the end of the day, it's Camaro bragging rights aka just numbers.

My test drive was a SR+ and that was already awesome. I splurged on a performance (I liked the whole package) but don’t think I’d regret getting an AWD instead, given how good the SR+ already is.

Driving wise all Model 3 variants are great.

Before price difference was around $11K to go from AWD to performance with wheels and brakes. So I got AWD. Now price difference is smaller to get faster car. $2k with smaller wheels and brakes. I am happy now. Might be happier if I have waiter a year to get m3p- ? Maybe since now cars a cheaper, not considering any rebates and credits.