Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

WhiteStar styling ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who knows if these are the actual lines of the car. Many car co's have been known to camoflage a car that hasn't been released yet. Some car companies will purposefully loose camo as testing goes on to allow teaser shots. I think this could be the case here but I easily could be wrong?

I have definitely though of that possibility, especially the rear end, which definitely looks like it doesn't reflect the actual lines of the car.

Given that, it still doesn't appear to be enough area in the covered part of the car to hide the profile of a station wagon, unless either the car is significantly shorter in height than it appears (but for this to happen there would likely need to be padding on the roof, as even with a loose covering, the general roof profile should show) or the rear glass is very small or sharply sloped to allow for a larger window.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with you, it doesn't look physically possible this is a station wagon because of the profile. A station wagon means the roofline should pretty much go all the way back to the end without sloping downward much.

With this kind of profile, if this was a station wagon, the rear window would be ridiculously small. I looked at the profile of a Dodge Magnum (which at least one of the Model S mules is based on) and even given the Magnum already has a pretty small rear window, the roofline is definitely not as sloped as the cover indicates.
I would agree for the station wagon to get maximum storage efficiency you do need that, but there are many examples of station wagons that do not. I'll try to embed some pictures.
0003qydg.jpg

The Audi A4 Avant

0003re58.jpg

The BMW 3 series Touring

0003ssxa.jpg

The Citroen C4 Picasso 5 seater

All of these have rather sloping roof lines and are still station wagons. Notice how none of the manufacturers call them that, but they are station wagons :)

Cobos

Graham,

Love your Tesla Wagon !!!! That is GREAT :)

I can't see any of the pictures that Cobos put on - guess you need to work on the linking skills as I have been recently - But what I read was my idea as well. I do not think that the back of the car will be as squared off as a typical wagon but a more sloping line from the roof with perhaps a slight bubble or roundness instead. I tried to figure out how TEG did that transparent overlay of the CLS but could not do it. However in some of my limited art work in the other thread and TEG's it seems that the R class pretty much fits in the picture except for a small corner of the wagon part in the back. If that was less of a corner and more of a slope it would fit well. BUT I do think that it will have much of the configuration of a wagon. Rear facing seats that are small and a large window for visibilty if you are back there. TM is breaking a lot of molds with this car is my impression and I think that they are going to try and make it fit several categories of cars at the same time. ie. Hatchback, Sedan, Station Wagon, CUV, and maybe a little bit SUV. Something that can be very versitile.

For their next car I would LOVE to see a 4 Door Hardtop Convertible Sedan. Guess that would be the Model T.

Who knows if these are the actual lines of the car. Many car co's have been known to camoflage a car that hasn't been released yet. Some car companies will purposefully loose camo as testing goes on to allow teaser shots. I think this could be the case here but I easily could be wrong?

So let me try to understand this line of reasoning that is attempting see a station wagon in a profile that doesn't support it.

Tesla has always indicated that their second vehicle would be a luxury sedan.
They decided to call it the Model S as in Sedan.
They are photoshopping their teaser reveals to hide the fact that it is a wagon.
They then bring together all of their Roadster owner who are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to place a deposit on this sedan. At which time they reveal a Wagon!! Wow, I see 95% of these people sadly walking away shaking their heads with there unopened checkbooks safely in there pockets.

OK but my point is that it will not have the complete SHAPE of a Wagon but will have the functionality of it. I think it will either be or have the option of 2+3+2 seating as a wagon. The additional +2 seating will be hidden most of the time. By the photos it obviously does not have the actual squared off back of a typical Wagon. However I think that if the squared off part was replaced by a nice curve it would fit the picture and still have the same insides and versatility of a wagon.

Cobos,

Even though your posted wagon pictures do show a sloped roof-line, this overlay of the Model S over your photo of the Audi A4 Avant shows the slope of the Model S is much greater. The blue overlay line follows the profile of the Audi behind the Model S.

attachment.php?attachmentid=134&stc=1&d=1235057658.gif

Attachments

• Wagon2.jpg
    Wagon2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 111
Can someone please over lay the Dodge Magnum and the MB R Class over the Model S reveal shot ? I can not seem to figure out how to do that. I am sure it is the program that I am using because it is not Photoshop. All I have is MS Paint and MS Picture Manager. I am just curious how far off the lines will be.

OK but my point is that it will not have the complete SHAPE of a Wagon but will have the functionality of it.
I kind of understand your argument now. But then the car wouldn't a station wagon anymore, it'll just be a 5 door hatchback.

Cobos,

Even though your posted wagon pictures do show a sloped roof-line, this overlay of the Model S over your photo of the Audi A4 Avant shows the slope of the Model S is much greater. The blue overlay line follows the profile of the Audi behind the Model S.

attachment.php?attachmentid=134&stc=1&d=1235057658.gif
Yes you made my point.

BMW X6 during testing
112_0810_03zacura_crossoverspied_rear_profile.jpg

Production BMW X6
2009_bmw_x6_green-thumb.jpg
All that demostrates is that it is easy to add volume on top of the car to obsure the profile.

The case of the Model S is that the camo has less than what we are assuming the actual car will look like (station wagon). That requires either photoshop to cut off bits from the car, or as I mentioned a car with lower height and padding or a preshaped covering that has a more sharply sloped roof than the actual car.

Here are my overlays. It is more clear with the yellow showing the parts of the Model S that don't match and the blue the parts for the other cars.

The X6 isn't as close as the 5-series GT.
attachment.php?attachmentid=139&stc=1&d=1235074019.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=140&stc=1&d=1235074019.gif

Here is the Magnum. This is getting scary for all those Wagon Nay sayers

attachment.php?attachmentid=137&stc=1&d=1235071351.gif

But your illustration shows my point. You need padding on the top of the roof to make the station wagon fit in the picture (there are some parts of the background you didn't crop).

I'll do a magnum one and see how it matches.

Attachments

• modelS_x6.jpg
    modelS_x6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 77
  • models_5gt.jpg
    models_5gt.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: