Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior worth $2k or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an almost 2 year old M3, and just got a MY last weekend, both with white interiors. I'm a big fan of the white, but that's also because we live in the SF Bay Area and park outside. Black leather in the sun gets VERY hot, that's the deciding factor for me. I'd love a cream interior, but not enough to buy a Model S or X.

Is the white interior really softer than black?
I'm going to say "No" for 2021 cars. Pretty sure I would have noticed that with my all my test driving and sitting in showrooms. Maybe it was true for the pre-refresh interiors.

That said, if someone thinks there is a softness difference for 2021+ I'm listening and will go investigate in Tesla showrooms as time allows. :)

Again I'll also say that my 2021 M3P black interior has the softest, most cushy-feeling seating of any car I've owned. (Not the best, just the cushiest.) If the white seats are even softer, that would be reason to avoid it for me. (I'm still skeptical that there's any softness difference for 2021 cars.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jo060
One more thing - the black interior's wood trim actually feels like wood! It's deliciously grainy and matte. It looks like an engineered product, and I don't know if it's actually made from real wood, but it sure feels satisfying to me. I like it more than typical fancy car wood trim that's so heavily lacquered it feels like plastic and reflects lights into your eyes.

I don't remember what the white trim feels like. I guess it wasn't memorable. ;)

I'm going to say "No" for 2021 cars. Pretty sure I would have noticed that with my all my test driving and sitting in showrooms. Maybe it was true for the pre-refresh interiors.

That said, if someone thinks there is a softness difference for 2021+ I'm listening and will go investigate in Tesla showrooms as time allows. :)

Again I'll also say that my 2021 M3P black interior has the softest, most cushy-feeling seating of any car I've owned. (Not the best, just the cushiest.) If the white seats are even softer, that would be reason to avoid it for me. (I'm still skeptical that there's any softness difference for 2021 cars.)

That's good to know. When my wife was trying various X and Y configurations last fall (2020), we felt an immediate difference in the softness of the seat cushions between the black vs. white interiors of the Model X. The white was quite noticeably softer. The Tesla sales advisor agreed. Sounds like this has changed for 2021.

The white interior of the X, after just under a year, is very easy to clean. Water and a soft cloth is all we've needed so far. On the other hand, our daughter drives our 2018 Model 3 in Los Angeles, and regularly complains that the black seats get much too hot.

Reactions: TexasTezla
I said no with my order because:

1) I have two kids and a dog -- not worth the hassle
2) $2,000 is a lot to spend for something that I'd have to work hard at keeping clean all the time. Also, I've seen some threads where the seatbelts in the white interior leave unremovable black marks on the back seats.
3) I wear jeans a lot during the winter months, and I've seen what they do to my wife's Subaru Outback with a beige interior.
I too will echo these sentiments. My wife had a white interior Mazda and in about a year the seats picked up a blue tint from our jeans. This is not to say Tesla will have the same faith, but the idea of constant maintenance turned me off.