Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior Change Order by Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is it possible that they are so backed up? It should be an incredibly simple change for them to make and for it to be taking two weeks to a month to get to someone’s change is ridiculous.
There are several possible reasons:
1) They are putting an end to people fornicating with their orders to seek an advantage.
2) They build cars in batches, or production runs, rather than order massive amounts of everything and warehouse stock they decide what will comprise the next run order parts for that. Some parts/sub assm come in fast, some slower so the slower items are ordered in advance so they will arrive conterminously with the other items required for a production run. By people fornicating with their orders it reeks havoc with their production management, thereby negatively effecting everybody.
3) We aren't there. They are trying to create an environment where all lines run smoothly and continuously. We don't know what we don't know but they are trying to run a smooth business, not placate some customers trying to game their system.
4) I, and others today, were told unequivocally any change, independent of "secret back doors" or where their order stood, would be met with financial and calendar 'penalties' or simply not allowed at all. In other words all orders have been cast in stone, save canceling.
The answer to your question is any or all of the above. Personally, I think it is ALL.

If changing an order automatically delayed it, why would Tesla send out an email precisely offering a change to the white interior through the edit link? I honestly don’t feel orders are appreciably delayed by making a change because they are not building cars to order. They are making batches and matching them to order queues in the back end. I changed to the white interior via the edit link, exactly as the email suggested, and I still have a Sept-Nov delivery estimate and was grandfathered into the older pricing.

Reactions: Lpleiss
I am caught in this trap as well - didn't have edit button - had to send e-mail to request change - and haven't seen the change appear on my account. I am worried that when my reservation comes up for delivery they will realize that I want white rather than black interior and I'll have to wait some more. Seeing that this problem has gone on for quite a while for others as well - I sent a support request vial Executive Escalation (I own an X and have access to the Executive escalation). I am not all that hopeful - but if I hear back I will pass on whatever I learn.

I am caught in this trap as well - didn't have edit button - had to send e-mail to request change - and haven't seen the change appear on my account. I am worried that when my reservation comes up for delivery they will realize that I want white rather than black interior and I'll have to wait some more. Seeing that this problem has gone on for quite a while for others as well - I sent a support request vial Executive Escalation (I own an X and have access to the Executive escalation). I am not all that hopeful - but if I hear back I will pass on whatever I learn.
Thanks trmmcd, I’d be interested to learn the result. I’m going to walk into the Fremont delivery center tomorrow and try to speak with somebody in the delivery department. What do their computers see? How can we get some satisfaction on this issue?

I did escalate and received a reply. It sounds as though they are well aware of this general problem and are working to resolve it. In my case - they updated my order - but days later it is still not visible to me. I have been told it should be visible in a few days.

It also sounds as though the edit button goes away when all of the inputs have been fulfilled. Assuming this is true I think they must have some type of batch job that they run periodically to update their web view of the orders. That would account for the variability of the edit button going away independent of nearness to delivery date and also the fact that I can’t yet see my revised order.

I was impressed that they responded to my escalation and also seemed to understand and care about the more general case I was making regarding this problem. Of course I am also happy that they updated my order although until I can actually see it I am still concerned about it.

Change it via the back door edit link floating around on this forum. I waited for 2 weeks after I submitted change via email and didn’t get changed. Used edit link it updated right after my request.

After my changes I got a call next day for vin. Pricing on website will change color to higher price but my DA said MVPA will have correct price.

Reactions: cw78
They finally updated my order on Wednesday. It took 5 weeks almost to the day. Now I'm just on the blue/white/aero/Fremont queue.

Glad to know it happens...I'm at ~4 weeks since email requesting AWD -> P3D- change, still no change online. Called a week or so ago and was told my reservation on their end was officially changed to P3D- and just the web page wasn't updated. Called today and was told the order has NOT been changed yet, the department has received the request but is still "processing" it. Obviously it's a Saturday (didn't realize) so they said to call back during the work week and they can try and get more answers as whatever the processing dept is is closed on weekends. Oh well, patience is a virtue and all.

Their info is frustrating and inconsistent. I never really felt secure that the Owner Advisor/Delivery Advisor system actually was trying to match me with the correctly configured car. Some would say it's just the website but the factory knows. Others would say the order was held up until the order modification was inputted. Why the edit buttons would disappear forcing this email BS is beyond me. This is Silicon Valley. They could automate the whole thing and eliminate all the manual data entry. Have they been to the Amazon.com or Apple.com websites?? o_O

Reactions: neroden
I requested the change to white interior on 7/30 (original configuration date 7/2). The account was finally updated on 8/30 and I just realized that the Order agreement now reflects date of order as 8/29 instead of 7/30 or 7/2 :(. I was told by a “supervisor “ that the date you requested the change is the date that will be used for priority not when the account gets updated because of delays at their end. Now I am not so sure. This is beyond frustrating. I plan to call today.

I requested the change to white interior on 7/30 (original configuration date 7/2). The account was finally updated on 8/30 and I just realized that the Order agreement now reflects date of order as 8/29 instead of 7/30 or 7/2 :(. I was told by a “supervisor “ that the date you requested the change is the date that will be used for priority not when the account gets updated because of delays at their end. Now I am not so sure. This is beyond frustrating. I plan to call today.

I think at this point is has been pretty well documented and agreed upon that any modifications do change the written order agreement order date but that, at least in regards to like free supercharging or premium connectivity, the original order date will be honored.

I think at this point is has been pretty well documented and agreed upon that any modifications do change the written order agreement order date but that, at least in regards to like free supercharging or premium connectivity, the original order date will be honored.
True and agree that the date will change but it should be 7/30 when I submitted the change not 8/29 when they were able to update it at their end because of the delays at their end. They processed changes for few of the members here within one week but they took almost a month for mine. If I had the edit button, I would have made the change on 7/30 myself.

It is absolutely ridiculous. I placed my order at the end of June as soon as I was able and then changed my order to white at the beginning of August. I had no edit button so I called and they told me to do it by email. A month later and several calls rob Tesla and still nothing.

My delivery is still scheduled for Sept - Nov but I would hate to get a delivery notice some time in the next couple of weeks but with the black interior because they never processed the white. It is crazy that a month later Tesla is not able to confirm a change.

I got the call today. DA from Fremont called me directly. They have my car in stock and we scheduled the delivery for Monday, Sept. 10. No VIN yet. Only change to my portal page is the overview changed to have a check by "schedule your appointment" and my scheduled appointment is on my main page. It appears that I was not disadvantaged by my order modification (once it was inputted).

FYI, I did the backdoor edit, made the change to White interior on line and the change was reflected in my account about a minute later and I received an email confirmation re the change about 5 minutes later. At least as stated, my delivery window did not change (still Sept - Nov for whatever that's worth).

Reactions: Nirenk
I went through a similar situation with the emailed change. After a few weeks I finally got an email from Tesla stating they had received my request and would process it shortly. At that point I was able to modify my design through the edit design URL. I also changed to white interior and after finalizing the design I received a call 5 days later that I had matched to a vehicle.

Just an update - called again today as directed to do by previous phone rep over the weekend and the phone rep today was happy to say that whatever email the previous rep sent seemed to work (or enough time passed? almost a month!) and that the order change was now opened and "in process" and should reflect on my account within 3-5 business days. Sooo, I'll update again if that is the case (hopefully!).