Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White interior available for AWD /nonP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odds are that it doesn't cost more. At all. It doesn't have to for Tesla to charge more. If that's a problem, then think of it as a penalty for opting for that other interior that's complicating assembly further.

It's a money grab.

As you said, I'm sure it's a minimal cost difference versus the black, and considering that white was the first vegan color they offered, they should have optimized its cost of manufacturing the white material by now. There shouldn't be much cost to "start up" a new line for making the white seats, as the white seats are going to cut into the quantity of black seats ordered. They'd mainly be repurposing "black seat" manufacturing to "white seat" manufacturing.

It's such a minor "complication" to general assembly that I feel it's silly to even mention. Instead of lining up a bunch of black seats to be installed on a batch of cars, they'd line up a bunch of white seats. How complicated is that?

I agree it probably won't be an issue.

here is the Chevy Bolt's White Dash and the reflection problem. The area it covers is much larger.

Bolt-Reflection-With-Cloth-2-610x343.jpg

We just don't see the issue, or haven't noticed it at least? *shrug* We also have our sides tinted at 50%, probably helps. Also everything is bright here, maybe? ;) From looking at it that's what happening, they notice it when they are looking into a dark area. Then it gets contrasted with a photo of the black dash looking into a bright daylight and I just roll my eyes.