Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Color Mismatch Unacceptable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IS it time for a class action about the white matching problems?

I have had Tesla's since 2014; Model S, Model 3 and now the Model Y

These color mismatches are unacceptable and until I was using the car daily looking at it from all directions and in all light conditions was I convinced that there is a real problem. I also thought, when taking the car at delivery, that the color differences were only due to shadows and light conditions.

I understand that the rear bumper was being painted by the bumper supplier but the doors, really?? what does the paint have a directional affect that no one took into consideration?

This is unacceptable and I cannot get my Tesla reps to respond to my letters and pictures. So much for loyalty!
20200816_092851.jpg
20200816_094024.jpg
20200816_150900_LI.jpg
20200816_151004_LI.jpg
20200816_151036.jpg
20200816_151142.jpg

The bumper mismatch is a bummer for sure. I don’t see the mismatch on the doors from your picture. That pearl white has those metallic qualities that scatter the light. I wonder if the bad bumper is just throwing your eye off.

Tesla needs to up its customer service game in a major way. I am sure the service people will get back to you, eventually.

Take reprieve by enjoying your slick ride. Be mindful that Tesla is moving to nearing end of quarter, which means drive is cars out the door. That hurried pace obliterates proper customer service.

You will be taken care of eventually. Tesla service will triage the most important issues first. Non-drivable units, delivery issues and customer issues that do not prevent use of vehicle. So if they’re a center that is already swamped with existing S3X owners doing their routine maintenance and the items above, your ass be waiting a while.

You can chose to wait in that queue, or go the class action rout, which will be an even longer and more arduous wait to get your issue resolved.

I’d definitely not go class action over a bumper mismatch, but to each their own.

Last edited:
Your driver side door is obviously mismatched to the car.
Passenger side isn’t as bad, but is that splotchy paint on the passenger doors? Splotchy paint is harder to see in pictures.

The bumper is very obviously not matched, and that’s been very common with the white MY.

get Tesla to repaint the doors and bumper. A quality body shop will blend the paint into the fenders and it will look seamless. And the paint will be sprayed thick enough where the primer coat won’t show through (no splotchy paint!).

I wouldn’t worry about a quality repaint affecting value. If anything, if you tried to sell your car as-is, many buyers would pick up on the mismatch paint and walk away.

the mismatched white MYs look like they’ve been in accidents and an amateur did the painting.

• Helpful
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Also, that back door is lined up 1/8” below the drivers door.
Thank you! I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. Actually, all four doors are not aligned satisfactorily. Look at the crease in the leading edge of the front doors where it meets the camera well in the front fenders (on both sides). The two creases are way off.

OP- The car can be brought to a body shop where they have a tool that analyzes colors. They will (for a small fee) go over your car and give you a panel by panel report that you can share with Tesla proving mismatches.

Reactions: raggedy
Your doors and body lines are horribly misaligned in addition to the paint issues you’ve already identified.

I mention this only because my vehicle is just as bad. Tesla is replacing my drivers’ side door and repainting it because the door exhibits a manufacturing defect that makes body line alignment otherwise impossible. I’m concerned that the bodyshop will not be able to color match Tesla’s terrible splotchy paint job and the end result may end up looking worse, however, I absolutely positively refuse to drive around a brand new 55k car that looks like it’s been in a major accident and then poorly repaired.

Hang in there!

At this point, if I decide to take delivery and Tesla attempted to pawn one of these mismatched painted cars off on me, and they offered to have the entire car repainted at a certified body shop, I'd take them up on it. I honestly believe a good body shop will turn out a better painted MY (white) than Tesla can at this time.
That's what I did. Almost my entire car was repainted by a reputable Tesla body shop. My detailer said the paint is a lot better than many factory whites they had worked on recently.

Reactions: raggedy
Where did you have that done and how much did that cost?

It was part of my due bill. Tesla Miramar in San Diego sent it to Amatos Auto Body and was at their shop for two months. They repainted everything except the hood. My car's color matches now. Cost me nothing but patience. Still, one more service to go to replace minor scuff on all trims on the exterior.

The car is at my detailer and will have pictures of the finished product next week.

XPEL Paint Protection Film, Ceramic Coating, and Tint

Below images of the mismatched white when it was at Amatos Auto Body.

Attachments

• 20200627_135146.jpg
    20200627_135146.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 20200627_135128.jpg
    20200627_135128.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 342
  • 20200627_135134.jpg
    20200627_135134.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 367
Last edited: