Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of us use this Charge Protocol Card. I use a paper clip clips to the time when your EV can be unplugged and leave it on the dash inside the EV. You are welcome to print it out and use it.

I like waidy's card. It's courtesy that we really want. EV owners are generally nice enough knowing that their cars have the same needs as other EV owners' do, so I believe the situation of overtime-supercharger parking will not be that bad. Leaving a contact number or a card like waidy's should be enough.

As for musking, then the carpark management should have their own rules to remove them from the charging spot.

Supercharger Location?

20140406_095204.jpg

Sudden disappearance of petrol station in Tai Koo.

Could this become...?

Where Would You Suggest Tesla To Build Their Supercharging Stations In Hong K...

Don't believe Tesla can afford "Stand Alone" Superchargers in HK. Assume they only will install them in existing carparks.

Last edited:
I think it would be almost worth buying an aftermarket connector just to be able to use EV parking spots...

Interestingly, I have been working on the numbers for that.

At 2.2kWh, electricity costs just over HK$2 per hour of charging.

A mobile adaptor is likely to cost US$650 or more = say HK$5,070 at a minimum.

One way to look at it is that as public charging is currently free, you would need to charge for 5070/2 = 2,535 hours, in order to pay for the mobile adaptor. That is 8 hours a day, every day, for almost a year.

In reality, I have used public charging for perhaps 500 hours in the past three 3 years. Mostly for a few hours at the weekend. So, I've saved perhaps HK$1,000 in those 3 years, but nowhere near enough to pay for even the mobile connector.

A type 2 to type 2 cable is much cheaper (around US$250 or so), and at 32A that changes the equation somewhat.

If your only charging option is public charging, then the equation is very different (how much is a tow in Hong Kong?). But for me, I'll live without it for the moment.

I just suggested the Gold Coast complex near Castle Peak Bay on Castle Peak Road.

Are you living close to that, CCT? They already have a few charging stations in the shopping mall parking lot in the basement (13A only I think).

It would be a great spot for me, as I am close to it. And a lot of traffic goes that way. When the tunnel opens between Tuen Mun and the airport/Tung Chung, and the passage to the North towards Yuen Long, then it will be even better to have a supercharger here. One could be concerned is that Castle Peak Road along this stretch is quite overloaded, but it won't be that many extra cars I think. When there are special happenings, like recently at Easter, it's totally jammed by cars trying to get in and out at the same time. They need to make one more exit, maybe even a traffic light. In fact, there is a traffic light close by, they could make the exit there, and combine it with a supercharger.

For that area, it would cover quite a bit, and there is definitely room in the front to install quite a few spots. A great "Green PR" initiative for the "Gold Coast Piazza"

They already have a deal with 2 hour free parking if shopping more than 100 HKD, 3 hours if shopping more than 200 HKD: Gold Coast Piazza

Just add free electric charge to that also ...

- - - Updated - - -

Just made some sketches on a Google Map, for two possible locations of superchargers in Gold Coast. One is in front of the shopping mall, the other one on the auxillary overflow parking lot inside the Gold Coast Yacht and Country Club.

In either case, I think there should be a separate access, and one in conjunction with the already existing traffic light could be a good suggestion (to avoid congestion on busy days). I am sure there are lots of obstacles wrt ownership of land, road regulations, electric cabling and much more!

GC Supercharger.jpg