Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to mount candy bar style fastrak transponder in M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minor update:
Since the transponder wasn't getting detected while mounted vertically, I tried rotating it 90 degrees so that now it was horizontal, but still in the same location to the right of the camera. It appears to have worked, since I was not charged the one time I drove 237E while it was set to 2 people.
So I can only assume my problem was with the orientation and not the location. Seems like these new candy bar style transponders only work if they are horizontal. Maybe the signal they emit is directional.
Thanks! I have been having the same issue with it mounted vertically next to the rear view mirror. Will try the horizontal configuration to see it if works.

There’s a new fastrak that I’ve had better luck than the one with the black 1/2/3 switch. The new one doesn’t beep. Try to exchange for this… they don’t charge the $25 if you return the old one.

1625274610016.png

Strange. Over the summer FasTrak in Southern California told us the transponders were being phased out and sent us stickers to replace them. Do they not have that in the Bay Area? The documentation that came with the stickers indicates they can be used anywhere the transponders were previously used.
I have fast rack in so cal and didn’t get that notification. Where did you hear that?

I didn't think I was stupid but I cannot figure out if you HAVE to have FASTRAK with a Tesla? What kind? etc... I sent away for the ugly clean air stickers which haven't arrived after two months. So, I live in El Cerrito. I go to SF and north via Carquinez Bridge. What do I need to have? Consulting the FASTRAK website, DMV and even these forums has completely befuddled me (and I work for City Gov.!).
Clean air stickers are for solo drivers being allowed in carpool lanes.
Fastrak is for specific sections of freeway or bridges that charge for access. The transponder is a pre-paid account for those tolls. For example, the 110 freeway near downtown LA has fastrak lanes, which requires pre-payment.