Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did AM Radio go???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Mark Z your quoted in the article.
Thanks for noticing the quote. Tesla needs to reconsider and get their AM working properly before Model 3 is manufactured.

Since there are travel information low power AM stations that cannot be heard any other way, getting AM into Model X is a necessity in my option.

My solution was to purchase a small Sony portable and use an FM transmitter. Both parts can be stored in the Model X console storage where the iPhone is charged. The question is, why does the Sony AM work without static yet Tesla can't make their AM radio static free?

Amazon.com: Sony SRF-M37W Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/FM/AM Stereo Radio (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: DESTEK ® 5V/2.4A FM Transmitter Car Kit with USB Charger& 3.5mm Audio Adaptor for iPhone iPod iPad Samsung HTC Sony LG Blackberry Motorola MP3 MP4 Tablet PC: MP3 Players & Accessories

Last edited:
My solution was to purchase a small Sony portable and use an FM transmitter. Both parts can be stored in the Model X console storage where the iPhone is charged. The question is, why does the Sony AM work without static yet Tesla can't make their AM radio static free?

Amazon.com: Sony SRF-M37W Walkman Digital Tuning Weather/FM/AM Stereo Radio (Black): Electronics

Interestingly, I already have this Sony radio (use it at Giants games sometimes). I'm going to try it out and see how it works

Interestingly, I already have this Sony radio (use it at Giants games sometimes). I'm going to try it out and see how it works.
One caveat. The FM of the SONY doesn't work with the FM transmitter since the radio uses the earphone cord as an FM antenna.

The SONY AM radio does work with good signal strength, and for Model X that is better than no AM radio for stations not available on the Tunein app.