Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can we Tesla camp in Australia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apart from the usual campsites, where else can we camp?

Is it illegal to park at a carpark of a nature reserve that's technically not a campsite? The way I see it, it's no different to parking an empty vehicle overnight. I'm assuming that as long as I can legally park a car there, I can "tesla camp" there. I'm not putting up a tent, so legally I'm not really "camping".

Apart from the usual campsites, where else can we camp?

Is it illegal to park at a carpark of a nature reserve that's technically not a campsite? The way I see it, it's no different to parking an empty vehicle overnight. I'm assuming that as long as I can legally park a car there, I can "tesla camp" there. I'm not putting up a tent, so legally I'm not really "camping".
Research the council/national park rules of the place you want to go. Most won't allow it. Reason is that non camp sites are not equipped to deal with the garbage/bathroom needs of the campers.

If you are after free camping locations I suggest you look at wikicamps and apply the free filter. There are a lot of rural councils offering free camping locations.
Wikicamps is the plugshare of camping for Australia. Coincidentally also useful for finding powered camping locations for EV charging. Most of these will be paid locations then, as to be expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: TASKA9
Definitely not allowed in the council area of The City of Sydney. We had/have a number of backpackers trying to avoid the cost of accommodation, sleeping in their cars/vans and and offering the vehicle for sale along Victoria street. Haven’t looked in a while but there were signs prohibiting living in a vehicle Or offering it for sale in the area. I imagine the law is broken regularly as we have a number of homeless in the area.