Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Well Soundproofing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 4EEA702A-61F4-486E-B338-8A5DA96E5C37.png
    4EEA702A-61F4-486E-B338-8A5DA96E5C37.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 475
Has anyone installed these? If so, are they effective? Appears to be a valid solution for road noise.
https://www.amazon.com/Customized-T...+3+cotton+mat&qid=1565036878&s=gateway&sr=8-7
LOL, one of the pics shows the sound drops from 80db to 50db! Would be interesting to know if you install the liners over the existent plastic liner, or remove the plastic first, then install. I ask because it might actually work better with the sandwich of plastic and carpet, than either alone.

Reactions: dhrivnak
LOL, one of the pics shows the sound drops from 80db to 50db! Would be interesting to know if you install the liners over the existent plastic liner, or remove the plastic first, then install. I ask because it might actually work better with the sandwich of plastic and carpet, than either alone.

Also makes your brake rotors look much more silvery and shiny! Wait, that's the camera angle? Still, effective advertising, lol.

There's a response to a question on the product page where it says to install it over the plastic liner.

Hmm, tempting as when I was wiring my sound system, I removed the lower left plastic footwell piece. I left it off and had to run an errand and heard every damn detail from the tires.

Who is gonna take the plunge?

I wonder if the trifecta would make a difference: this, the glass gap, and the door trim.

It looks tempting, after taking out the back of the car and putting down a ton of sound insulation, I have been debating the best way to tackle the front of the car. All my noise is really tire noise. The car is very quite at highway speeds on new asphalt. Insulating the back really helped tremendously.

They also say no installation instructions. A youtube installation video would be great.

On my Land Cruiser, there is a thick pad stuck to the backside of the fender well liners, and it helps tremendously with tire and road noise. Even with a lift, bumpers, 34" tires, etc. the truck is materially quieter on the highway than the Tesla which is kinda funny.

This post reminded me of something I've noticed (but not totally scientific).
Our family Camry Hyrbrid has this kind of padding on the back of the plastic fender liner. After a repairable accident, the liners were replaced with cheap aftermarket ones with no padding. I think normal Camrys at the time didn't have the pad version of the liner. We're noticing more road noise now than before. Same wheels/tires as before the replacement. I wouldn't want to put the pad on the outside because it's likely less durable.

This post reminded me of something I've noticed (but not totally scientific).
Our family Camry Hyrbrid has this kind of padding on the back of the plastic fender liner. After a repairable accident, the liners were replaced with cheap aftermarket ones with no padding. I think normal Camrys at the time didn't have the pad version of the liner. We're noticing more road noise now than before. Same wheels/tires as before the replacement. I wouldn't want to put the pad on the outside because it's likely less durable.
It should be similar to the material already in the rear wheel wells, and the undertray.