Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Bands and Rim Savers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All. Just took delivery of my 2022 Model 3 (Blue, dual motor, 19-inch sport wheels). I had leased a model 3 before and certainly got curb rash on 3 of my 4 wheels. I know with these tires/wheels it is inevitable for most drivers. I was considering taking some protective measures such as wheel bands or rim savers. I was wondering for those with experience with these products if there are any recommendations for one over the other. I am a purist, so not looking for any colors. Any recommendation of a brand/color that is best and that will closely match my current wheel and blend in would be appreciated. Thanks all!

IMG_6662.jpg

In 31k miles, my 2021 LR Model 3 with 18in wheels has a small curb rash on one wheel. The car is a daily driver and is barely noticeable. I just installed new Conti ExtremeContact tires and they are designed to protect the rim unlike the Michelin mxm4's. I would just drive it and when it comes time to install new tires, get tires with the rim protection technology.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Rim savers are great! I put on red ones to add some color to my white'21 mod 3, along with red caliper covers and a black trunk spoiler. Driving lost at night on a dark narrow residential street, I was looking up and right at a street sign and the road went right. Hit the curb hard at an angle on the driver's side with both left wheels at 35 mph.. Immediate front and rear dual blowout. Rim savers tore off but absolutely no damage to the wheels :). . drove very slowly on 2 flat tires two miles to Pep boys and left it there. They had new tires at 0900 the next day and on by 10. Inspected underside and suspension - no damage. Considered an alignment, but no evidence I needed one after 100 miles. I also had "mud flaps" on and I think they helped protect the area in the back of the front wheel well as they were scuffed up, but nothing on body. I also had some thin self-adhesive slippery plastic triangles attached under the width of the front of the car to not have that ugly grating noise if I accidently rolled slowly up on a curb while parking. I also have metal skid plates front and rear but don't think they got into the game.
I know, I sound a little over the top, but I don't like to mess up the car. I won't go into all of the other stuff I have done to be proactive. At 76 and retired with a great garage and all the tools in the world, doing things on the car is fun. Just did the wireless Teslogic module yesterday and it gives me whole new panel in front of the driver with lots of neat data.
Regards
Mike (Retired Naval Aviator)