Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Alignment Under Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Picked up a used M3 LR 2021 from used inventory last month. I have noticed that it pulls to the right slightly on the motorway and the steering wheel is offset to the left when going straight ahead. I have booked it in at my local SC but the estimate came back at £300. Is this likely to be done under warranty? Is there any way to tell before turning up on the day as this is the first time I have made the appointment so not completed up to speed with the process. Thanks

Hi All,

Picked up a used M3 LR 2021 from used inventory last month. I have noticed that it pulls to the right slightly on the motorway and the steering wheel is offset to the left when going straight ahead. I have booked it in at my local SC but the estimate came back at £300. Is this likely to be done under warranty? Is there any way to tell before turning up on the day as this is the first time I have made the appointment so not completed up to speed with the process. Thanks
Stick to your guns. You must be firm that you have not hit any potholes or curbs and that the car has been like this since you picked it up. It is not uncommon for warranty work to have a price attached but this doesn’t necessarily mean this is what you will ultimately be charged.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Hi All,

Tesla tends to put a price on any repair, warranty or not. It's also a release to allow them to work on the car.

Stick to your guns. You must be firm that you have not hit any potholes or curbs and that the car has been like this since you picked it up. It is not uncommon for warranty work to have a price attached but this doesn’t necessarily mean this is what you will ultimately be charged.
yeah, sure.
did not help me.

almost like these muppets at SC cannot see if rim hit the bloody kerb or not.

I can assure you - chap will have to pay :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Rooster6655
When you say ‘last month’ check how many days. Warranty aside, we can probably all agree it’s not of satisfactory quality, but it might be quite hard to prove it was like that at the time of purchase. If you log an SC ticket, take a screen shot (time stamped) as they can be known to disappear (be deleted).

Ok thanks. I’ll try and argue the point. Out of interest was the price paid the full £300 or was the final bill less. If they don’t do it then I’ll have to take it elsewhere anyway.

Incorrect wheel alignment is a fault - any fault discovered on the car within the first 6 months is deemed to have been present when the car was supplied (Consumer Act) It is not for you to defend your driving it is for them to prove you were responsible for the misalignment.
Take pictures of all your wheels - just in case they say its been curbed hard - and it would have to be hard to knock the alignment out as the only way steering alignment can be changed is if the track rod was bent - you cant stretch metal by hitting a pothole but you can cause the rod to bend under compression if hit hard enough - and to be hard enough a wheel would be severely damaged.
So, if they want to bill you and claim its your fault then there must also be an additional charge for the replacement of the track rod - and if there isn't - you've got them.
Its common belief that potholes will alter wheel alignment - but its not true for 99% of cases - damaged alloys and punctures are the most likely scenario with potholes - though the trade loves to tell everyone that potholes change tracking because its an easy job, nice earner and i suspect most tyre places and their staff believe it anyway.

This is a bill I wouldn't be paying, if they say they will charge then pay and take them to the small claims court - done easily - Moneyclaim online, simple form and a small payment, they get served and no way will they go to court - you will get your money back.
Indeed tell them exactly that you intend to do this if they charge - I guarantee, mention the consumer act, faults are deemed to have been present at the point of sale unless they can PROVE otherwise - which they cant. print a copy of the consumer act out - and go see them.

Incorrect wheel alignment is a fault - any fault discovered on the car within the first 6 months is deemed to have been present when the car was supplied (Consumer Act) It is not for you to defend your driving it is for them to prove you were responsible for the misalignment.
Take pictures of all your wheels - just in case they say its been curbed hard - and it would have to be hard to knock the alignment out as the only way steering alignment can be changed is if the track rod was bent - you cant stretch metal by hitting a pothole but you can cause the rod to bend under compression if hit hard enough - and to be hard enough a wheel would be severely damaged.
So, if they want to bill you and claim its your fault then there must also be an additional charge for the replacement of the track rod - and if there isn't - you've got them.
Its common belief that potholes will alter wheel alignment - but its not true for 99% of cases - damaged alloys and punctures are the most likely scenario with potholes - though the trade loves to tell everyone that potholes change tracking because its an easy job, nice earner and i suspect most tyre places and their staff believe it anyway.

This is a bill I wouldn't be paying, if they say they will charge then pay and take them to the small claims court - done easily - Moneyclaim online, simple form and a small payment, they get served and no way will they go to court - you will get your money back.
Indeed tell them exactly that you intend to do this if they charge - I guarantee, mention the consumer act, faults are deemed to have been present at the point of sale unless they can PROVE otherwise - which they cant. print a copy of the consumer act out - and go see them.
good luck with that.
I had lengthy discussion with technician and his manager at Nottingham SC.

in short - if you report early, straight after pick up - then OK. but within few months of ownership, potentially you already could hit 5 kerbs and 5 pot holes...

I agree the tracking is a maintenance item, however the poster has only had the car a month tops, Its pulling to one side and the steering wheel isnt central - I suspect just looking at the tyre wear will confirm the tracking is out and that couldn't be done in a month of normal use.
If the tracking is out then the first sign on the tyre is feathering of the edges on the blocks of the tread, If its significantly out it will be wearing the edge of the tyre - so measure the tyres at the outer, the middle and the inner - they should all be pretty much the same tread depth
The tracking itself is a simple and quick job to do - centralise the steering wheel, clamp it in place - check each of the wheels for alignment and adjust the track rods to ensure its tracking straight - Its just one nut to loosen each side and a pair of mole grips to turn the track rod to screw it in or out. Its as easy as fixing meccano together. I really cant see Tesla - or indeed any car dealer arguing the toss over something so minor and so soon after supplying the car --- unless there is damage sustained that explains it was caused by impact - and at the end of the day its a nil cost fix apart from maybe 30 minutes of someone's time to do.

If it was my car, I would argue the toss, quote the consumer act, show them a copy of the act, and if they still decide its a charge for job then take the car and have a Hunter alignment check with someone with a fantastic customer service record, Whatever the bill is that would be paid and presented to Tesla to reimburse and tell them if they don't then you will be taking them to the small claims court to recover that outlay - in legal terms "damages"

A Hunter check will undoubtedly find other issues with all 4 wheels and suspension - that will be documented and will strengthen your case that Tesla failed to correct existing issues - which in legal terms is negligence under the law of Tort - They failed to do something they should have - or - did something they shouldn't have done.
Tesla may be hardnosed about penny pinching but they are not stupid, they couldn't possibly win the case unless they can prove you damaged the car, so will not challenge a court case - They may push it to the limit but once served the papers to summon them to court they will settle and compensate, but i honestly cant see even Tesla going this far - They will rectify for free.

@yessuz I agree with what you say but the tech and manager at Nottingham isn't Tesla - they wont be the ones defending in the court and whilst i also agree that potholes and kerbing potentially could affect tracking its for Tesla to prove that - not for the owner to prove they didn't. The consumer Act is a super piece of legislation that most car retailers tend to pretend it doesn't exist - they hate the fact every car has a 6 month absolute warranty and any fault is deemed by law to have been present at the point of sale - unless they can PROVE otherwise.

I need to get my alignment done as needed new front tyres due to passenger side being worn on outside edge down to the threads.

Got a quote from tesla £380....

Does anyone know any garage that will do alignment for sensible money around warrington / manchester area?