Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Normal Front Motor Sound for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for current Model Y owners. I got my Model Y PUP in April and since I took delivery I'm hearing a whining noise (high pitch) when cruising (light pressure on accelerator), especially when going 35-45mph...I also hear an intermittent pulsing / oscillating sound from the front motor (I believe some refer to this as "Beeping"). Really annoying. Sounds like someone is blowing through a whistle. I cannot believe this is normal but wanted to check if anyone else hears the same or should the motor be mostly quiet under low load while cruising at constant speed?

I took it to an SC and they claim it's normal, but I suspect it's either an issue with the front Motor or it's an issue with missing insulation which is causing sound to resonate into the cabin...What is everyone else's experience with Motor noise while cruising (not accelerating)?

Reactions: xyskis
I have a Dual Motor Model 3 (built 10/2018) and also have the high pitched whine, most pronounced at the 40mph-45mph range (until road noise starts to drown it out). There were several discussion threads on here that I read at the time of many others experiencing something similar, but I don’t recall it was anything SCs would address other than “that’s normal”. I’m not familiar with the “beeping” sound you refer to, though.

I have a Dual Motor Model 3 (built 10/2018) and also have the high pitched whine, most pronounced at the 40mph-45mph range (until road noise starts to drown it out). There were several discussion threads on here that I read at the time of many others experiencing something similar, but I don’t recall it was anything SCs would address other than “that’s normal”. I’m not familiar with the “beeping” sound you refer to, though.

Thanks for sharing! Do you think this is indeed normal or just a motor quality issue that some folks experience?