Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would be needed for third-party bidirectional power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've had six power outages so far this year. It bugs me that we have tons of power sitting in our garage, power that could be replenished with a trip to a supercharger.

What would be needed to add a 110v outlet to the car like the one in the Cybertruck? I know I could attach an inverter to the wimpy 12v battery, but I'm looking for something more robust.

Is it something a third-party company could create? I'd spend a lot to get something like that.

Huge discussion here: MASTER THREAD: Powering house or other things with Model 3

A typical approach is to tap the DC-DC converter under the rear seat, which is capable of ~2kW (at 14VDC - 16VDC). So an inverter is required, but be careful not to trip the e-fuse when the inverter's capacitors are initially filled up. Various circuits are explored in the above thread to work around the e-fuse tripping. Might be easiest to have another small 12V battery laying around that you connect the inverter to first (filling up the capacitors from it), then connect to the Tesla DC-DC converter before the capacitors discharge much. Apparently the e-fuse does reset after some time. And not all inverters exhibit the huge-initial-current-draw issue that can trip the e-fuse.