Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What To Buy For My New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't receive a center console for the front, I'd recommend reviewing the options available. I bought mine a year ago from EVannex Center Console Insert (CCI) for Tesla Model S. Tesla also sells one. I second the 2 bucket washing list, it saves a ton of water and can be easily done in the garage (to avoid heat/cold/excessive sunlight). I went with the OptiCoat Plus treatment and have been pleased with the results (if you know you want to do this immediately after purchase, be sure to tell your delivery contact not to have the car detailed before delivery). I purchased the all weather mats (including the trunk liner) before delivery (but I do that on every vehicle).

Center console is now standard on Model s.

Roll up reflective sun shade that mounts on the OUTSIDE of your windshield. Keeps heat out unlike the sun shades that mount inside the windshield and allow "greenhouse effect" heat build up inside.

$39.99 with FREE shipping: Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shade

Yes I know its listed as a "snow shade" but we've used these in sunny Southern California for years on our large windshield Corvette and Prius... and the SoCal based manufacturer admitted they should sell them as sunshades too but haven't had the time to change their packaging.

50 amp to their dryer line should be 6/3 not 12/3. I'm going to do the same thing and leave it in the car for visiting family and don't fee like supercharging or installing an outlet there

Camco 55195 50 AMP 30' Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30' Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive

I was actually just planning to use the 50' (foot) 12/3 to plug into a regular plug:
LINK

But I like your idea too. How would I connect that to the Tesla though?
EDIT: Oh, it plugs right into this cable. Nice.

Standard outlet will only charge at 3-4mph. Just plug the umc cable into the extension cord assuming the outlet your plugged into is the right amp circuit or you need to ensure you crank down the charge amperage on the car to prevent fire risk

Evannex J1772 adapter lock thingy or wire ties and a pair of diag cutters (there is a hack to use the wire tie to "lock" the adapter to the J1772) if you want to lock it.
Long, round wheel brush to reach the interior portions of the rims - they are deep.
Cargo dividers to keep stuff (groceries, supplies) in place.
Mentioned before - CHAdeMO adapter. This saved us in St Charles when the SC was down. For infrequent trips try to borrow one until you get a feel for the need. Same thing for ChargePoint, GreenLots, etc. accounts and RFID cards.

Is the FOB case actually necessary? Can't we go "naked"?
The fobs are slippery suckers, and attaching to a keyring (if you do) isn't easy when it's naked due to the very limited slot for threading a chain/cord through.

I asked my DS for a couple of landyards at delivery and I easily threaded/slid the mini key ring that comes with it through the small slot on the Model S key. Then I just attached a regular sized key ring to the mini one. One of my key fobs is naked like this, and my backup has an Abstract Ocean silicone key case.

IMG_3619.jpg
IMG_3621.jpg

50 amp to their dryer line should be 6/3 not 12/3. I'm going to do the same thing and leave it in the car for visiting family and don't fee like supercharging or installing an outlet there

Camco 55195 50 AMP 30' Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30' Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive
Dryer plugs use NEMA 14-30 outlets, not 14-50 (special exceptions may apply but this is the norm). 30 amps only. Tesla no longer sells the 14-30 adaptor for the Mobile charger, so you might have to get creative. Buying or building your own adaptor will require you to be diligent in remembering to limit the charging rate while using the 30-amp rated outlet with the 50-amp rated adaptor.

Roll up reflective sun shade that mounts on the OUTSIDE of your windshield. Keeps heat out unlike the sun shades that mount inside the windshield and allow "greenhouse effect" heat build up inside.

$39.99 with FREE shipping: Intro-Tech Automotive Windshield Snow Shade

Yes I know its listed as a "snow shade" but we've used these in sunny Southern California for years on our large windshield Corvette and Prius... and the SoCal based manufacturer admitted they should sell them as sunshades too but haven't had the time to change their packaging.
This looks very interesting. It says it's supported by the wipers and by closing inside the door. Have you noticed any issues closing it inside the door? Seems like it wouldn't work great since the windows would have to support it.

Dryer plugs use NEMA 14-30 outlets, not 14-50 (special exceptions may apply but this is the norm). 30 amps only. Tesla no longer sells the 14-30 adaptor for the Mobile charger, so you might have to get creative. Buying or building your own adaptor will require you to be diligent in remembering to limit the charging rate while using the 30-amp rated outlet with the 50-amp rated adaptor.

You are absolutely correct - this is only to be used by someone who knows what they are doing for temporary use (e.g. visiting their in-laws every few months who have a dryer close to the garage). under $150 for something I can keep in the car for emergencies vs getting an electrician to run an outlet at the in-laws makes sense to me.

Conntek 30A NEMA 14-30P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla - $85
http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14-30P-Electric-Vehicle-Adapter/dp/B00STD8CXC/ref=sr_1_1

Conntek 14364 RV 30-Amp STW 10/3 Durable Extension Cord with Straight Blade, 50-Feet - $62
http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-14364-Durable-Extension-Straight/dp/B00F17Q87G/ref=sr_1_1

• I got some nicer mats for good weather from Cocomats.com, as well as the Tesla all-weather (plastic) mats for winter (which are, in my view, quite ugly). Several threads on that topic.
  • And by the way, when people say mats, there are options on what areas to protect. Seating areas, front & rear. Separate mat for trunk area? Lower (footwell) space below trunk? Frunk? Lots of choices!
  • Also a nice waste basket for the rear. I got a heavy one from The Container Store. I placed it on the floor right behind the center armrest so I can easily reach through and drop stuff into it. It stays put until I want to empty it and can hold discarded bottles and other trash. (Otherwise, where do you put trash?)
  • Maybe one of those tricky doors from EVannex that keeps the under-dash cubby closed. (Hmm, tried to find this on the EVAnnex site, looks as if it is gone. Maybe because the center console is now standard on the Model S and the door cannot be installed with it?)
  • Minor item but really handy -- a long-necked funnel to facilitate filling the windshield washer fluid tank. It is hard to reach otherwise.
  • Trunk organizer for whatever you decide to keep there. E.g., I have one that fits into the space below the floor in which I keep all my cleaning supplies.

• Funny
Reactions: AndyHSoCa
A little shameless promotion, but how about a UMC wall bracket? :rolleyes:

For those not already familiar with the product, it is a little 3D Printing business my son runs. The bracket helps take weight off the wall plug and still provides quick removal for roadtrips. Fun designs and he can print in many colors. Link is HERE if interested.

Reactions: newtman