Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What the heck is this orange stuff oozing from the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
same issue with mine: 2014 P85+ delivered in May 2014 in France. it's a foam that they put in to the hood to strengthen it. My humble advice: do not attempt to clean it yourself. Just call up Tesla Service and they'll hook you up with your service center and they'll take care of it. In my case, while they tried to clean it, they damaged the paint and the plastic. But Tesla Service as it is, they apologized profusely for the foam, for damaging the paint, and immediately scheduled an appointment to replace the bumper, the front oval calander (?) and repaint or replace the hood. No ifs or buts, just sorry. (we're not used to that kind of service in France ;-) ) I found it amazing that the shop people took personal responsibility for a defect on my car produced thousands of miles away. so instead of a grumpy customer after what happened, they have a customer amazed at after-sales support. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2014-07-19 13.40.18.jpg
    2014-07-19 13.40.18.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 928
  • 2014-07-19 13.43.37.jpg
    2014-07-19 13.43.37.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 906
  • 2014-07-19 14.40.03.jpg
    2014-07-19 14.40.03.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 895
Happen to me yesterday. It was 28 deg celsius. Car made in october 2013.
Lucy me I discovered it while it was still fluid. Its pretty easy to remove if not hardened.
Just use the stuff used to remove nail paint (accetone) but remember this stuff also remove any paint protection and can dammage some sort of plastic. So use carefull and in small quantities.

Also not happy that a car with 1000 miles has now been repaired/repainted (talk depreciation and diminshed value!) plus their apology for scratching it during the repair on the hood - all in all a pretty disappointing first experience with Tesla service.

I'm not sure how repairing your frunk hood would impact your car's value in any way? You were not in a collision, you have no disclosure duty to a buyer over this, so how can it have any effect on value?

It happened to mine this past weekend. I took the car to a detail guy who installed my clear-bra and corrected the paint. He offers a complementary consultation for all his customers where he walks you through how to properly care and maintain the car detailing wise, and so I was back doing that. Anyhow, we finished the detail and went to grab lunch. We left the car in his shop, which was pretty hot...

When we came back some ooze had came out of the front air dam down near where the air slits were. It wasn't much, and we just wiped it up. He then commented on how many he's worked on that had this exact same thing happen (and much much worse.) I explained to him it was expandable foam, and that I had read about it on this very thread a few days ago... :cool:

My thought is the heat from his shop which is a typical metal building with a garage door that probably has little to no insulation in it may have caused the problem. It could be humidity related too, because we washed the car in there, then closed it up and ran down the street to grab some BBQ. When we came back there was some orange goo that we took care of, then he made his comment about it happening a lot and much worse on many other cars. :crying:

This is underneath the plastic panel on the rear hatch. I was in the middle of installing my rear T when I noticed the orange stuff. Not in liquid form though thankfully. It feels a little spongy. Come to find out, it's not the same type of structural adhesive.
IMG_2821.JPG

Last edited: